Private Guides of Italy - Day Tours & Excursions
Ranked #404 of 859 Tours in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a team of professional local tour guides that offer excursions and guided tours in Rome, Venice, Florence, Pompeii, Capri and all major destinations.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have been on a number of private tours and this one (for me) was the most exciting and insightful. Tour guide Lello was masterful at his job. It was a pleasure to be around such a passionate and entertaining storyteller.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Lello is the best guide we have ever had the honor of knowing and spending a day with. We booked a group tour the day before our wedding--29 friends and family on a private tour of the Amalfi Coast, then Pompeii and finishing with lunch at a winery at the foot of Mt. Vesuvius.

From the first moment, Lello had everyone laughing and enjoying the day. It felt like the entire experience (which was from 9.30am-6.30pm) lasted only an hour--even though it hours on a bus, walking through Pompeii, etc. We were enthralled absolutely every second of the day.

The site of Pompeii came alive for us with Lello. His enthusiasm and knowledge were overwhelming and contagious. He called us 'My Family' the whole time, knew the guards in every section of the site, and got us access that was perfect. He just knew the right balance of history, storytelling and humor to keep us all hanging on his every word.

And if that wasn't enough, we had the most amazing lunch and wine tasting we could have imagined. The best bread and olive oil, cheese, salami, perfect spaghetti with tomato sauce, dessert, wine, prosecco, even a special ricotta cake for my dad's birthday. He looked after everything and everyone perfectly the entire day.

The company and booking process were also wonderful AND they went out of their way to get us special clearance to drive on the coast on a holiday so we avoided hours of traffic jams that could have ruined the whole day. Instead, we flew along in our bus, amazed at the stopped traffic for miles on the other side of the road.

We will never forget this trip and Lello specifically. If you are lucky enough to book and have Lello as your guide, it will be the best day of your vacation without question.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

WOW,the tour my family of 5 had with Lello at Pompeii was outstanding,even our teenagers loved it It exceeded our expectations and we learnt so much.
The drive to Positano was very comfortable and scenic.The family restaurant on the cliff where we had lunch was fabulous.We had a good laugh with our children when they had limoncello and realised it was alcohol!
Alex our driver was really easy to talk with and very informative and helpful.
The drive was comfortable and we could relax and ask questions.

Thank you very much.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I met Massimiliano at the Metro Colesseo. Although I had arrived early, I was a little concerned because I did not have a printed copy of my ticket. This fear was put to rest immediately, as Massimiliano produced copies of all of my tickets.

With the ticket concern surely behind us, we stopped just outside the Colosseum to discuss the area, and some of the history. To say that Massimiliano is an expert is an understatement.

All aspects of the colosseum were explained to me in a way that was simple and interesting. Despite the pictures and the plaques being available to view, I feel that I was given more on the stories of the colosseum. From the graffiti and games of the citizens, to the vulgar name associated with the steep stairs. ;)

As we left the colosseum we discussed, in detail, Roman architecture from the village on Palatine Hill to the development of all the Emperors Palaces, and how they fit with the structure of the land and surrounding monuments - circus, colosseum, etc... Each example backed up by interesting stories and facts, with a quick reference to the before and after pictures contained within a book. Each time Massimiliano took the time to explain to me the design, its purpose, and a story behind the architecture.

As we headed down the hill, into the Forum, the shortage of stories, examples and references did not slow down. All of my questions were answered promptly and accurately.

We left the tour to take lunch at a restaurant near our next destination. The restaurant was recommended by Massimiliano, and it did not disappoint. The food was great, and a fraction of the price of some other restaurants close by.

The afternoon tour of the museum of the Vatican was absolutely mind blowing. In all my life I have never witnessed such artistic glory in one location. When you walk into any of the rooms here it is humbling. A nice twist: Massimiliano took me to the Australian exhibition. I was able to take a photograph of a picture of the Pope holding a Koala, and took in some examples of ancient aboriginal culture.

All the art, religion, history, politics, people, and events were explained to me in detailed and interesting ways. I learned of the reason for the balconies, saw the location of St Peter's tomb - with an explanation of the dome of Michaelangelo - and linked all of the pieces together in a way that I will remember for the rest of my days.

This tour coupled with the tour in Pompeii has been simply amazing.

Thanks to Louise and Lello for such a wonderful product. You have been truly professional the entire time.

For all of this people who want to take a trip in Italy, call this team ASAP. They are honest and professional experts in their field, and you will not make a better choice in Rome.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had the best day sightseeing today. We were picked up at our hotel by Alex in a Mercedes van. It was just my husband and I. Alex told us we would be spending the day with him. He drove us through Naples and on to the Amalfi coast. Alex gave us the history of Naples and that made the ride very enjoyable. When we reached the coast area, we were very glad to have a professional driver. We were able to see the sights and not worry about the narrow roads. The views were spectacular. We had lunch at Trattoria La Tagliata in Positano on top of a cliff overlooking the sea. No only was the view breath taking but the food was amazing. It was all locally grown and wonderful. After lunch we went to Pompeii for a private tour. Our tour guide Lello was so knowledgeable about the history of Pompeii and made the tour so interesting. He pointed out so many things that we would not have been aware of if we were not on the tour with him. I would highly recommend this tour
Peggy