“Good location, rooms a little small.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Latinum

Hotel Latinum
Ranked #606 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Swan Hill
“Good location, rooms a little small.”
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Good location however a bit of traffic noise at night (between 2 hospitals, ambulance sirens frequent). Rooms were clean and staff were helpful. Yolanda spoke very good English and was very helpful. Lovely little restaurant on corner opposite.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Nenenbill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Chose this hotel because it was the only 4 star I could find which was within walking distance of city centre, but didn't cost £300 a night and had reasonable reviews.

When approaching the hotel I was a bit dubious because the surrounding streets seemed a bit rough however upon entering the hotel lobby I was pleasantly surprised. Very smart, clean and the greeting by the receptionist was friendly and welcoming. Our room was a good size, although ensuite didn't have a bath but I think this is fairly standard these days. I sent an email to the hotel 12 hours before check-in asking for them to get me some flowers and chocolates for the room, this was no problem and my partner thought it was fabulous on arrival.

Now the bits that weren't quite perfect - the bed was in my opinion very uncomfortable, hard and could feel the springs. My partner didn't mind as much but I did wake up aching quite a bit. Secondly, take earplugs! The city is very noisy with hooting trams and drivers that are absolutely crazy. This was really my first city break so maybe it's just that I'm not used to the city life. The hotel is about 1 mile walk to any of the tourist spots or the central termini. We were warned by receptionist not to make the walk after dark as the area can be bit dangerous for tourists. I think most of the city is like that. We used the metro which was only a short walk from the hotel. Finally, the receptionist on checkout (different to check-in) was a bit abrupt. He wanted our final payment of 57 euros (for flowers and room tax) to be made with cash. As it was our last day I didn't have that much left. Eventually I persuaded him to take my credit card, but then he didn't seem to know how to operate the card machine. I had to show him...I'd say this is fairly basic stuff for a hotel receptionist?!

Any way, over all we were pleased and we had a nice stay in Rome, I will use this hotel again when on a lower budget.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel to base in for Rome, a quick taxi ride from Termini and close to the underground stations.

Rooms are well appointed, clean and modern. Breakfast is slightly disappointing, you have to queue for a table and it doesn't have the best assortment!

Apart from that it's great.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shielseey
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed at Hotel Latinum for 3 nights whilst we explored Rome. The room was a very good size for a city hotel (No:11) with a lovely bathroom (although the shower rose could do with a little de-scaling to make changing easier between fine and deluge states!). The staff were absolutely excellent and nothing was too much trouble from directions to storing our bags (we arrived early on the first day and left late on the fourth day). The roof top terrace was nice to watch the traffic from (quite a Rome "sport"). Near the tram lines and on a roundabout so a little noisy but not too bad at night. All the known sights were walking distance (Coliseum 30 minutes) if you are keen walkers like us (and you see so much more!) but trams and buses are nearby. Breakfast was good and meant we didn't need to stop for lunch (although we did - well Italian food!). Lovely hotel ideal for a short break - I would recommend.

Room Tip: Side rooms and higher up would be best!
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We stayed in Hotel Latinum for two nights whilst exploring Rome, and really enjoyed our stay. The staff were remarkably helpful and gave advice on visiting Rome. The bedroom was very modern and pleasant, though we found the bed a bit too firm for us. Air-con worked beautifully and was a relief after the humidity when we visited. Bathroom was very modern and relatively spacious.

the hotel is situated on a very busy junction, which can mean it's quite noisy even at night, but does mean its only few meters from the tram stop. We walked to the Termi a couple time which took us about 25mins, so only recommended for keen walkers, and not recommended for ladies on thier own at night as some of the area is a little bit rougher.

Breakfast was pretty good, and the hotel will let you leave your bags with them for free the morning you check out if you still want to see more sights.

Liverpool UK
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed here for one night with friends. You need a taxi or tram to reach the hotel from the Termini. The hotel faces a bury traffic junction and in the day-time is a hive of activity during the day but dead as a Dodo at night. I did not feel comfortable walking in this area at night.
The hotel is quite small and lacks atmosphere. Breakfast is typical ‘continental style’ and there is not much choice. The dining area is very small seating only 10 people and is like eating in church, everyone was very quiet and self conscious that they would be overheard by the rest of the guests.
I can find nothing bad to say about this hotel and the most positive thing was the reception staff who were very helpful and tried to make the stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Darlington
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a very pleasant stay here and must say the staff really are an asset to the hotel. Always smiling, willing to help and advise on getting around and what's the best transport made our visit to Rome much easier.

Our room was a good size for a city centre hotel, with a lovely clean bathroom and good shower. Some other reviews have mentioned the hotel is noisy during the night, however although it is in a busy location, we didn't hear any traffic at all and aren't sure whether this is down to double or triple glazing, or the position of our room (ask for room 22 if you want the same quiet experience).

The only thing that affected sleep quality slightly was that the bed was very hard, a better mattress should be invested in.

Some other small niggles in the room were that furniture wasn't hoovered behind, leaving some areas slightly dusty and an old grape was found behind the bedside cabinet when moving it to plug in a phone charger, and the hair dryer is really poor, I'd take my own if staying again.

Breakfast was ok but the narrow selection became tiresome after a couple of days, more choice would have been appreciated, but again seeing the same friendly faces each morning was reassuring, the staff do seem to genuinely care about the hotel.

These minor issues are by no means a complaint as this otherwise represented an enjoyable stay which represented good value for money. I'd recommend to others and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed September 2013