“Inconveniences - learn to live without the comforts you are used to.”
Review of The Strand Hotel

The Strand Hotel
Ranked #1,132 of 1,264 Hotels in Rome
Rome, Italy
“Inconveniences - learn to live without the comforts you are used to.”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Admittedly I have high hotel standards and do not normally stay anywhere with less than a four star rating but when price and high travel time call for it I can lower my standards as is the case here. I figured that as long as I had warm water for shower and accessible internet I could bear the other inconveniences.

This hotel doesn't have either.

Internet:

My iPhone won't even connect. The hotel clerk and I both tried it and he even provided me with the hotel's login that only the employees use. Nada.

My droid phone will connect but only works intermittently in one spot in my room. That spot is facing that wall near the mirror at a spot about 4ft in the air. If I move to the left or the right it doesn't work. If I move it down so i can sit it doesn't work. It doesn't work on the bed. The times  it is "working" (on that one spot i mentioned) the internet constantly goes in and out: dropping off the signal then picking it up again. This is not ideal or efficient. Not at all what one expects when "free wi-fi" is advertised.

Shower:

The two shower settings seem to be 'scalding' and freezing. Before stepping in I obviously thought I had the temp. where I wanted it. After getting in the shower and WITHOUT touching the settings again, it went from alright to scalding. Further adjustments sent it to freezing. I turned it off and started over to get the temp. right again and the same thing happened: after a few minutes it went to scalding again without me touching it. I ended up just readjusting every few minutes throughout the shower.

Not ideal....

Other things I didn't like but certainly could have put up with if the water and internet were working properly:

Toilet

There are two hinges on a toilet seat. One of those hinges is broken on the toilet in my room. A broken hinge on a toilet seat causes the seat to slide or shift towards the broken side if any weight is put on it. So basnically it moves every time I go to the bathroom and is an uneven platform. Uncomfortable.

The toilet is also too close to the shower. My knees hit the shower when I use the toilet. No way to avoid this unfortunately, due to the tinyness of the bathroom (and my 5ft 9in height. A shorter person might be alright).

Sink: the sink is clogged. I pointed this out the first few minutes of entering the room and they sent someone right up (good response time). We could see a plastic object was blocking the pipe and keeping water from draining. But rather than use the tool she had brought (a pair of scissors) to remove the object, she just pushed it further down into the pipe. This did increase the flow of water.... for a while. The object has now obviously shifted again because now the water is not draining any more and is bringing up particles and hair and crud that has been washed down the sink already. This is extremely gross to look at when brushing teeth or washing hands. I have taken to brushing my teeth and washing my hands in the shower.

Shower Again:

The shower door is broken. The top slides but the bottom stays in place. I don't know what to do about this... If they don't fix the sink or the toilet I do not think the shower will be fixed either. I just leave the shower door open and the water gets all over the floor. This, again, is not ideal. I use the towels to dry up after, of course,  but would prefer the shower door to slide closed properly.

Smoking:

This is NOT a non-smoking facility. I found this out the hard way. All rooms and hallways and the lobby smell like smoke. When someone lights up the smell becomes even more prominent. The hotel clerk smokes. It's not illegal in this country apparently to smoke anywhere inside a building...

Sounds:

Yes the sounds from other rooms are CLEARLY heard. It's not muffled or anything.  Conversations, toilets flushing, the sound of someone peeing in one of the surrounding rooms, subways, cars and other street noises are all CLEARLY heard. I read this in some other reviews and this was not a deterrent for me. Sounds don't bother me but keep this in mind ifu are a light sleeper.

It is very close to the A line of the metro tho. Just cross the street and look at the numbers. It's between 890 and 894. The building faces the street but the door is in a little side alley that just says "hotel".

I am actually still here and this is only night 2 of my 6 night stay. I regret my decision to stay here and do not recommend. If I had not paid in advance to take advantage of the lower rate I would leave now and pay for a more expensive hotel than stay here. I am not satisfied.

Even tho the majority of your time is spent outside of the hotel the point is to have a place to shower sleep and plan the next day's events. I cant shower comfortably and I cant use the internet to find the locations of the activities I had planned out. So this hotel is not even providing me with 2/3 of the basic services one should expect.

Disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank halbblah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Greek first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

In my opinion the hotel was average.Not bad,not good.

The breakfast was really not worth it - as you could only have a cup of coffee/tea/juice, a not so good croissant and maybe some jam.

If you are not too picky about where you want to stay,you can go there,but don't expect too much.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MarieAnne237
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Firstly the pool ( dirty ) can here the underground in room every ten mins. I read reviews on this and thought I would risk it but it was a risk that didn't pay off. Also the room was sooo small a box and not very good staff an hard to find off the main road. And the hotel is like half finished just rank not good.

• Stayed August 2012

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Rome
Reviewed 1 June 2012

it was a great time. service on the high level, but location not best. I`m think it's fits for couples, families and friends.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Yulia Z
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 29 May 2012

my only request when I made the booking, was to make sure the room is air-conditioned. I made it clear that my wife just HATES warm temp.
The AC was NOT working at all. And if the window is lift open, you just can't sleep, too many Mosquitos will be in the room.
I got a room on the 3rd level, and the lift was not working all 3 days.
The pool was empty all the time.
Just horrible place to stay in, a very bad experience ,,,,,,,,

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Srjy
Midlands
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We only stayed in this hotel overnight before flying home. Well presented hotel. The pool is obviously still being worked on however there is a nice seating area around it. Rooms are very small and air conditioning doesn't really make much difference to the temperature. Walls are quite thin and we could hear the people in the next room talking until quite late which was a little annoying as we had to be up early to get our flight. Also no shower curtain in bathroom so everything gets quite wet!! Staff were kind and helpful. Did not really see much of the surrounding area but it is mainly residential. Close to the metro which was helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank try0210
Cornwall
Reviewed 7 October 2010

This hotel was very pleasant, close to the metro (about a 2 min walk) so easy to get around to main tourist attractions and the centre. Although we felt safe in the area the hotel is located it wasnt the nicest - although comparing to the centre of Rome, nothing seems to be that nice! Had some nice cafes etc nearby, which meant we could walk around the corner for some breakfast (pastries!), although shame the hotel doesnt offer this as would make things easier and better value for money. Didn't use the swimming as ran out of time so cannot comment on it, although looked clean, but felt cold. The guy running things (the owner) is friendly and speaks good english although the night guy wasn't as good at English and couldnt help over the phone on the first night when we got lost on the first night and for some reason couldn't find our way back to the hotel (our fault though, it's really not difficult to find!)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business