“Makes experience more than just history”

Jewish Roma Private Walking Tours
Ranked #52 of 848 Tours in Rome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The best Walking tours of Jewish Rome. Micaela Pavoncello established her business in 2003 to share the amazing history of the Jewish community of Rome. Don't miss her tours of Jewish and regular Rome.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Had been to the former Ghetto in Rome previously, so hadn't given much thought to a guided tour. Shortly before leaving for a 2 week Italian vacation hapened to see Micaela leading Rick Steves (yes that Rick Steves) on a walking tour of Jewish Rome. Good enough for me I thought, and she was. Jewish Roma was easy to contact, thorough and efficient to deal with, and relatively speaking, affordable.

Our guide was Sara, a young, friendly and vibrant Roman with her own interesting Jewish history. She and Micaela, who makes you feel like family, divided our large group into 2 smaller ones, so you always felt they we're paying attention to you. Sara was very knowledgeable, with a strong command of her Judaism. Received a genuine and moving education on Jewish life in Rome then and now. Felt like they brought the community to life.

Wear comfortable shoes. Sinagoga interesting and magnificent at the same time. Take all pictures outside. No pix in Synagogue or Museo Ebraico, an unhappy fact of our times. Happy my wife and I participated and would recommend JewishRoma, Micaela and her team to anyone wanting a real perspective on the Italian Jewish community.

All reviews
"past and present"
in 12 reviews
"wonderful tour"
in 37 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 33 reviews
in 29 reviews
"subject matter"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I went on a Jewish Vatican tour with Jewish Roma. There were 13 of us. The Jewish part was negligible. Use your money to take a private tour of the Vatican with your own guide. It will cost the same and you will enjoy it more
Do not use this company for Jewish tours of the Vatican because I believe you will be as disappointed as my husband and I were.

1  Thank Zessy
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We had a wonderful tour with Sara Pavoncello. She was extremely vibrant, gave us a terrific history of the Jewish people of Rome as well as the current community. We walked through the Jewish quarter where she knew just about everybody. We even stopped to meet her brother at one of the local restaurants. We then returned to the restaurant for lunch and she stopped by at our table to say hello and hoped we had a good time on the tour. It was truly one of our best times ever in Rome. Our original quoted price was much less since there were about 12 people on the tour - it was truly worth the expense and we would highly recommend this tour.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I called Micaela the morning of the day I wanted the tour. I called her cell phone, she answered, and within 10 minutes had booked a tour for me at the desired time. Sara, our tour guide, at the age of 26 was a wealth of information about Italian Jewish history, architecture, culture, and geography. She rattled off dates, names of royalty, areas, numbers in such a casual and accessible way. She made the tour fun for my kids, ages 8 and 11 - the 3 hours went by just like that. She was like the mayor of the neighborhood - everyone seemed to know her and she helped us access areas of the quarter and the inside of the synagogue that we otherwise would not have seen. Nothing is obviously marked or explained so having a guide made the experience quite rich. I can't say enough good things about Sara - she was really a delight and so professional. And friendly and accessible and extremely knowledgeable. This tour is really terrific I would recommend it to anyone. It is expensive but not when you think about the fact that it is private and 3 hours long and you get to see every piece of the area. The highlight of our trip.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Michaela was as good as the reviews on this site would have you believe. Her family has lived in Rome for generations and she speaks what she has lived.
We had one day in Rome on a port call from a cruise ship and had some anxiety over whether this tour could be done in the time available. I can tell you it is easily possible. The port provided transportation from the ship to a bus terminal where we got on another bus for a short ride to the train station. After an adventure with the ticket machine, we caught the 8:44 train to Rome. Although no one asked for tickets on any bus, train, or tram we bought them (except the tram where we never figured out where or how to get them). Do not bother with first class on the train.
Jewish Roma tours will send you instructions about what train stop to get off and the tram is just outside the station. We got to the tour site early enough to stop at a cafe for a drink.
The tour does not have much walking and Michaela's mic allowed easy hearing. The tour includes the Jewish museum with a separate admission. The museum has rest rooms and the tour there is guided as well. After the museum, the tour walks around the ghetto with an excellent explanation of the area. It ends at a Jewish bookstore with English and Italian options. There are many kosher restaurants in the area and after visiting one of them we had plenty of time for the return trip to Checcivicia and the ship.
If you have a cruise stop or are visiting Rome for a longer period and are interested in Jewish history this tour is very informative!