“Well worth it”

Jewish Roma Private Walking Tours
Ranked #35 of 818 Tours in Rome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The best Walking tours of Jewish Rome. Micaela Pavoncello established her business in 2003 to share the amazing history of the Jewish community of Rome. Don't miss her tours of Jewish and regular Rome.
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My family with 4 small children aged 7-14 loved the tours. The guides (Sarah and Silivia) were engaging and very interesting. I highly recommend these interesting, informative and fun tours. I also have a wheelchair and they were most accommodating and helpful.

3  Thank hankrh

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

In May of 2012, my father and I took the ghetto tour led by the capable Michaela. Now, in July of 2014, I brought my wife and kids (ages 12 and 3) for the same enlightening tour, this time led by Sara.

Sara gave us a good tour of the ghetto, its gates, synagogue, and museum, with notes about the Tiber island hospital, the Jewish bridge, the Nazi deportations, the 1982 terrorist attack, and relations with the Vatican. She was knowledgeable, energetic, and used a book of pictures to better explain the history of the ghetto area.

One new feature of the ghetto is a small memorial for the Jewish child who in 1982 was murdered at the synagogue by a group of Palestinians wielding guns and grenades. After 31 years, the Italian government officially recognized the event as a terrorist attack. In the perspective of Roman Jewish history, 31 years is not a long time.

As other reviewers may have pointed out, bring euros to pay for the tour and extra euros (or credit card) for entry to the museum, gift purchases, and meals/snacks at the excellent local eateries.

Thank you, Jewish Roma, for your insight and enthusiasm, and for keeping history alive.

2  Thank HHo32655
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We went to the Vatican and the Jewish Ghetto with Jewish Roma. Daniela led the tour of the vatican and we couldn't have been more pleased. She was extremely knowledgeable about everything there. We saw aspects of the vatican that could not have been on other tours. The group was small and intimate.
We toured the ghetto with Sara with the same satisfaction. Sara was also extremely knowledgeable and very sensitive to the concerns and interests of the group.
We would definitely recommend both of the tours for anyone wanting a more intimate experience in Rome.

2  Thank Cheryl T
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Had been to the former Ghetto in Rome previously, so hadn't given much thought to a guided tour. Shortly before leaving for a 2 week Italian vacation hapened to see Micaela leading Rick Steves (yes that Rick Steves) on a walking tour of Jewish Rome. Good enough for me I thought, and she was. Jewish Roma was easy to contact, thorough and efficient to deal with, and relatively speaking, affordable.

Our guide was Sara, a young, friendly and vibrant Roman with her own interesting Jewish history. She and Micaela, who makes you feel like family, divided our large group into 2 smaller ones, so you always felt they we're paying attention to you. Sara was very knowledgeable, with a strong command of her Judaism. Received a genuine and moving education on Jewish life in Rome then and now. Felt like they brought the community to life.

Wear comfortable shoes. Sinagoga interesting and magnificent at the same time. Take all pictures outside. No pix in Synagogue or Museo Ebraico, an unhappy fact of our times. Happy my wife and I participated and would recommend JewishRoma, Micaela and her team to anyone wanting a real perspective on the Italian Jewish community.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I went on a Jewish Vatican tour with Jewish Roma. There were 13 of us. The Jewish part was negligible. Use your money to take a private tour of the Vatican with your own guide. It will cost the same and you will enjoy it more
Do not use this company for Jewish tours of the Vatican because I believe you will be as disappointed as my husband and I were.

1  Thank Zessy