“i like it”

Ranked #705 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Cairo, Egypt
“i like it”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

very nice hotel good location good stuff very friendly and helpful. rooms too clean i can feel that i am at home you can feel warm feelings with people there i can stay in the same hotel next time

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Slovak first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Great location and great view - easy to get back to after a long day. A little loud in the evening hours due to the restaurant being open late. Staff was friendly and the ammenitites were great.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kfexc9
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I am marking this in the category very good as in a very good Italian experience. If you are looking for luxurious surroundings this won't be the place but, if your looking for warm cozy feelings with charming people who make you feel important this is your place. The views of the Colosseum are great, the food in the restaurant is good, and being made to feel at home is superb.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 February 2012

So let me just first start by saying. That we arrived in Rome on the 1st time in 50 years the snows had hit the city. But as we arrived with the snow coming down. We were able to contact the folks at Royal House. The cab had a bit of a time finding the place as the entrance to the hotel is on the side of the Royal Bar, Cafe, and Restaurant.

We were brought in and show our rooms right away with one of the guys carrying our suitcases as we carried the baby and the baby wagon up the stairs. Let me say that not having an elevator is not that big of a deal as we were going to be walking the city in a Borjne but it is good to know for people with hip issues little kids or just lazy in nature and do not feel like climbing stairs.

When we got into the room. We were quite impressed with the size of the room, furnishings and the Bathroom was massive...... I had a bidet but no bath. With the size of the bathroom it would be good if they decided to add the bath. But still did not detract from the room as it had towel warmers and heated floors. It had high ceilings with a very comfortable bed. A little firm for my wife's taste but in my book the firmer the better.

The bed was a Queen size with quality bedding and the room had a tv and nightstands. Now there were a few quirks that made me and the wife think this was more like a BnB and not so much a full blown hotel.

1. Room service - was walking downstairs sliding the door between the hotel and restaurant and talking to to restaurant staff and ordering meals up to your room. The nice thing is that
the hotel guests got a 20% discount and they delivered it to the room.

2. Not to many frills but was very homey and friendly. Devoid of the rack of information located in the lobby. But the staff was great for local knowledge.

We were so tired on the first night we did not notice the dull thud and bump of the bass from the discoteque that we did on our second night. Additionally, the vibrations from the tram outside could distress light sleepers. But I truly was not overly bothered or woken due to the tram or the bass. Then again I live in a city and it is par for the course with city living.

The breakfast was good I will call Italian continental. Grape Juice, Sweet Bun, platter of meats with fresh bread.... To be honest when told the bread was fresh it did not have that chew you would get from fresh bread...More like day old. But not being picky with a < 100 Euro room.

The rooms were cleaned every day. Very clean well made beds. My only complaint is that there would be a scent of heavy smoke depending on when we came back for the day. I am a smoker my wife is not and my baby is Definitely not! Sp I can understand the smoking in the culture but when running a business do it outside the rooms or maybe the building.

The only other thing I would find to be a little of a let down was that the door with the high security dimple key was always open. Either the latch was thrown intentionally or it did not catch at all. I come from a security background so that was a personal pet peeve for me.

All in all this place is a gem. I am nit picking a little. But these are things that people should know about. The location is perfect, The view is fantastic and the restaurant is damn good to boot. It is a good fit for couples and friends maybe not the best for families.... But I would go back with mine... So...

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that face the coliseum. Four in total... I think.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We stayed 4 nights at Royal House and couldn't have asked for anything else. The rooms were fantastic with great views over the Colosseum. The staff fantastic and the breakfast was great. The location was the best and walking distance to the railway station, the bus stop is right outside the door and across the road are the tour buses. It is also in walking distance to the Eternal flame of the unknown soldier and other main attractions. We had a great, laughable time with the staff. Thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julie K
Texas
Reviewed 1 October 2011

I selected the Royal House hotel for our trip to Rome based on the reviews posted on TripAdvisor.com. I won't go into the good points since they have already been covered - it is mainly the location. However, you expect a little more than what this hotel provides given what you pay for the rooms.

Let me point out a few other items that might be useful for people trying to decide on this hotel:
1. The beds are really uncomfortable. The mattress was terrible and they did not seem to be of the standard length (My feet were sticking out and I am only 5' 10")
2. The air-conditioning is not adequate for the room. It never used to cool down the room even though it was running continuously - and this was when the outside temperature was not too bad
3. The bathrooms are fairly small and grungy (expect Motel 6 standards)
4. There are no elevators
5. The roof top restaurant that they show on their website is closed indefinitely
6. The breakfast is very frugal/ almost non-existent. At best, you can hope for a good cappuccino.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank AAdv
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I have just come back home after spending a whole week at this gem of a hotel.
The staff were fantastic, they were approachable and friendly and ready with tips of what to see other than the Colosseum, Roman Forum in the immediate vicinity.
St John of Lanterne is a 15min walk away (Bishop of Romes's Church - the Pope), the Holy Steps are nearby as well, then there is the a hidden gem in St Clemente Church only a couple of blocks away - here you see the excavations of a 12th and 2nd century church under the existing one.
The hotel room was large and spacious. I was in 101 and had a great view of the Colosseum.
Air conditioning was fabulous.
The bathroom was also spacious and as a larger person I actually found the shower size adequate.
I ate at the hotel restuarant the first evening and the food was mouth watering. You do receive a discount once they know that you are a guest.
Location to the Metro is only a 5min jaunt down the road.
Taxis are close by.
Buses too.
I walked alot around Rome and found it comfortable walking to Vatican City, Piazza del Popolo etc.
You can't go wrong with this hotel.
Tip: If coming in by train. Once outside the station turn immediately left and walk to the traffic lights.
Cross the road and head for where the outdoor restaurants are.
Royal House Hotel (Royal Art Cafe/Restuarant) is on the actual corner. Just ask the waiters and they will direct you to the reception area.

Room Tip: Just ask for a room facing the front. Traffic noise is not too bad considering it is a main road wh...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo