“Very nice genuine Italian restaurant”
Review of Il Bacaro

Il Bacaro
Reserve with
Save up to 40% when you reserve online *
Il Bacaro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #853 of 12,585 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Description: Antico e moderno. Abbiamo costruito l'idea del ristorante Il Bacaro cercando di rispecchiare l'idea di Roma in ogni suo aspetto: dal design attuale che esalta le atmosfere romantiche del nostro vicolo alla cucina esperta che rielabora in chiave moderna materie scelte con cura, passando per una delle cantine più raffinate di Roma. A Restaurant that reflect all sights of Rome thanks to its modern design, its romantic atmosphere, our fine cookery and the finest wine in Rome.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I really liked this little restaurant which is tucked away in a back lane way - google maps did a great job of guiding us there. Service was excellent - very friendly helpful waitress who took care of things efficiently. The food was delicious - we had the sea bass salad appetizer which was very tasty and salty, then the king prawn pasta - delicious and then the Bacaro filet which was outstanding - excellent bit of meat, perfectly cooked. Strongly recommended. You are sitting in a lane way and some of the taxis get pretty close to your table - but it's a little street so they're not going too fast, kind of adds to the atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Il Bacaro

Reviewed 22 May 2014

The pasta dishes at Il Bacaro were excellent. I had Orecchiette Salvia--ear-shaped pasta with bacon and a wonderful sauce. It was delicious! My wife had Tonnarelli Cacio (according to the receipt) and really enjoyed it. The restaurant had a nice atmosphere, the service was attentive, and the food was well prepared and tasty. I would certainly recommend Il Bacaro.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

7 years ago stumbled on this place when they set up tables at the back of an apartment we were booked into. The pasta was fresh and delicious and service excellent. Returned for old times sake and still excellent pasta and service. I had fettuccini with prawns, garlic tomato then tiramisu. Both delicious. Not sure if it same owners but everything feels the same. Definitely worth a try and it is a bit away from the tourist haunts but not too far.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Intimist, small and fabulous!! Wonderful tartuffo, large wine list and I strongly recomend! Away from the tourist traps, in a hidden street (corner) il bacaro is a perfect place to taste a good wine and pasta!! Perfecto!!!!

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We were lucky to be staying on Via Degli Spagnoli, hence the visit to Il Bacaro.

Prompt service - no wasting of time, and you can get your hands on the menu and order in less than 15min. A simple menu means the people at Il Bacaro know what they prepare best.

Which brings us to the food.

Antipasti - nothing to rave about, but, it has to be said; you can taste the freshest ingredients in the salmon & avocado (a special of the day), squid "salad" and the lovely roasted aubergine with pommodoro sauce and cheese. Every dish was balanced with good olive oil and the right herbs.

I personally found the pastas to be on the salty side (perhaps its me; I am not heavy handed with salt when I cook at home). Having said that, the fresh fettucine makes a difference - it was toothsome and satisfying, whilst the pasta used for the cacio e pepe (I think its not spaghetti) was, I believe, what the Italians tout as 'al dente'. The accompanying sauces were rich and heady - parmigiana and truffles - absolutely indulgent.

For second plates, we had the angus steak (perfectly cooked, mildly seasoned to ensure you can taste the quality of the steak), white fish (I personally liked this special of the day) and the veal and mushrooms (cooked to a luscious rare as rightly recommended by the wait staff).

Unfortunately, there was absolutely no space for dessert (I hear the tiramisu is a-ma-zing), given the portions were huge.

Give this place a try if you're able to find it, but try to remember to leave space for dessert.

Been to Il Bacaro? Share your experiences!