“Sanctuary near Monteverde”
other travellers have booked this property
Lounge Lounge
Bathroom
Shower
Bathroom
From the balcony
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Richard L...
San Diego, California
“Sanctuary near Monteverde”
Reviewed 25 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016
people found this review helpful

We spent two weeks at Kandinsky House in Monteverde. The apartment is twenty minutes by tram from Piazza Venezia. It is a mere five minutes walk to both tram and bus stops, including the H bus that serves Rome's main train station, Termini. The two bedroom apartment was clean, secure and included a dish washer, refrigerator/freezer, washing machine, stove -- all as advertized. It is close to mini and super markets, great restaurants, and flea markets.

Our host, Federico, was warm, welcoming, and very informative. He provided excellent orientation to the apartment, transportation, and the local neighborhood. We spent our days visiting the great sights of Rome using the nearby public transit. We returned each night exhausted, to our safe and beautiful retreat at Kandinsky House. This spacious apartment includes wonderful views from the oversize windows, and small private balcony. We would definitely recommend this apartment to friends and family.

We recommend arriving via the driver service Federico arranges to ensure easy arrival.

Liked best: Security and location
Liked least: Small shower stall
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
26 Aug 2016
I am happy to learn that Patricia and Richard found my place comfortable. It is always a pleasure hosting such nice people ! Let's hope to have the chance to meet them again.
PS: the apartment was left in pristine conditions.
autumnmea...
Canon City, Colorado
“Great place, unless it's July...then there are a few things to consider.”
Reviewed 18 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016

We traveled from Spain to Italy the first week of July. My husband and I, along with our three teenage girls stayed in the apartment for 5 nights. During this time the weather was exceptionally hot. It was in the 90's (Fahrenheit) everyday. Please note that some of my review comes from that circumstance.

First, as all the reviews say, the owner is awesome! He communicates information very well and answers all questions thoroughly. He had bread, milk, cereal, cookies, juice, yogurt, and water for us when we arrived. He went over everything about the apartment, transportation, and the immediate area. He arranged transportation to and from the airport for us with a prompt driver and comfortable vehicle. The cost was well worth the door to door service. Our host was also always available to answer questions about our stay.

Next, the apartment is as pictured. It is clean and has enough furniture for 5 people. There were enough dishes and enough cookware for most of what you may want to cook. It did lack many bowls for preparing and holding food. There also wasn't anything to store food in that might be leftover. There were plenty of towels, but no washcloths. I mention then washcloths because the streets of Rome were dirty and left our sandaled feet black every night. It was hard to wash the dirt from our feet with just soap and our hands. So, just plan to bring a loofah, pouf, or washcloths...no big deal. There was a hairdryer, a washing machine, detergent, and a place to hang dry clothes. All our basic needs were provided for. The beds were not particularly comfortable and I found the sheets scratchy. We laid a this bed spread down over the sheet and it was fine. I can't say I found any bed in Europe all that great during our three weeks there though, so it may just be par for the course.

The location was good. It's basically in the Trastevere area. It's very easy to get into the heart of the historical area by taking one light rail. I would recommend buying more tickets than you need at once so you don't have to go hunting all over to find a tobacco store to buy your tickets in. There is one by the stop nearest the house, but on the weekends in closed kind of early and while in the city you don't want to have to find a place to buy return tickets. Also, If you get off the rail right before it crosses the river there is a great area to enjoy dinner and entertainment in the square nearby. I liked this area best because it wasn't overcrowded like the heart of Rome, but was still lively. There are several grocery options very near and the Trastevere Station is just a few stops away. The only problem with the location is it's proximity to a very busy hospital. Other times of year when you can close the windows at night, I'm sure it's fine. Like I said though, we went in July and it was far too hot to close the windows. Our host was kind and brought us fans, but there is no air-conditioning (which in not uncommon there). Because we went at such a hot time and had to keep this windows open, it was noisy. The apartment is on a fairly busy street and the sirens from ambulances went off all night. There were times when it kept us up or woke us up. This is the one major drawback to this property. I would say other times of year it's probably not an issue. Just consider when you go, and know there is no air-conditioning and it's likely to be vary noisy. Otherwise, there were no rowdy neighbors, I never heard anyone else.

I think our host made the property a great place to stay, along with the fact that it was so convenient to get around.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: Our host and location were the best features
Liked least: The noise from the hospital, no air conditioning, and the beds
19 Jul 2016
Autumn, many thanks for your comments and suggestions...Although only this year we are experiencing such high temperatures, I am indeed planning to have air conditioning installed this winter, when the house will be closed. It is not an easy task, because retrofitting in an early '900 building is difficult and it would be a pity destroying the decorated ceilings....Regarding the kitchen, guests do not usually cook or store much food, but your suggestion of more storage containers is good.... As I said before, I've tried to move away the hospital, with no success ....
Paddingto...
“Comfortable, convenient, clean and an extremely helpful host.”
Reviewed 19 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

My college age daughter and I stayed eight nights, we were very happy with every aspect of this rental. The apartment had all the amenities of home with everything clean and working. The apartment is in a safe and clean neighborhood with anything you might want or need close by. Federico our host said the convenient 8 tram could get us anywhere we wanted to go and it did. It is a very short walk from the apartment to the tram which runs regularly, we never had to wait more than a minute or two ... the 8 tram will either get you close to or connect you to anywhere you want to go in Rome. Ride it 20 minutes to the end of the line and you are within walking distance to the Colosseum and many other major tourist sites. Lastly, our host Federico was incredibly responsive and helpful before and during our stay. He quickly replied to all of our questions with helpful answers and suggestions, he was a pleasure to deal with. I would highly recommend this property.

Liked best: Convenience and Comfort
Liked least: I cannot say anything negetive, it was perfect for us.
20 Jun 2016
Paul and his daughter were very fine guests. Communications were excellent, although I think that Paul considered me a travel agent in disguise… The house was left in very good conditions.I'dl love to see them again in Roma.
klripley
Old Hickory, Tennessee
“Wonderful host, great apartment”
Reviewed 29 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016
person found this review helpful

My friend and I really enjoyed our stay at the Kandinsky house. The apartment was clean, bright and spacious. The kitchen was fully equipped with fridge, microwave, stove, and cooking utensils. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom came equipped with a blow dryer. Our host, Frederico, was amazing. He had supplied us with enough food to start our adventure in Rome. He was very helpful in guiding us through the city with information and maps. Historic Rome was just a few bus stops away. We rented 5 apartments during our stay in Italy, and this was by far the best rental and the best host. I would definitely stay there again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I liked the bright, open feel of the apartment. It had a lot of windows.
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 65+
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
30 Apr 2016
Kristine and Carolyn have been wonderful guests, communications before and after arrival perfect. A pleasure to have them at my place. Next time I'll make available also an American coffee machine to cater for Carolyn insatiable coffee needs. Hope to see them again in Roma.
Willem C
Bradford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
“Excellent host and relaxing space after a day out in Rome.”
Reviewed 18 November 2015 for a stay in November 2015

My first visit to Rome and hopefully not my last. I stayed in Kandinsky House for a week with my Grandfather. Federico was a great host, welcoming us on our arrival and saying farewell at 6 in the morning! The tour of the apartment and tips for surviving Rome were a great help, the starter pack and first travel tickets certainly took the stress out of the first day! The apartment is tastefully furnished, spacious and very well appointed. A short distance away from the city centre, which was greatly appreciated after a day in the hectic tourist zones - even in November!

We spent most of our week exploring and visiting the touristy bits of the city (first trip). The apartment was a perfect base for our plans, being situated a short tram ride form the centre of the historical zone in Rome, very convenient, trams are frequent, tickets are not expensive and easily purchased from tobacconists near to the apartment. Walking around the city rather than taking buses or taxis reveals so much that could otherwise be missed.

We had planned to visit Pompeii as part of our visit, Federico suggested a tour from the Viator website which we booked after arriving. The tour was excellent and I would certainly recommend the site to anyone planning a visit to the area, booking a tour is also recommended for anyone planning a visit to the Sistine Chapel. Federico arranged our transport to and from Rome Termini station, the private vehicle took us door to door cutting out a considerable amount of stress! I hope to return to Rome and will certainly be looking to book again.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 18-24
19 Nov 2015
Will, many thanks for your kind review. I'm happy that I was able to give you some tips for making easier your stay and your visit to Pompei, and that you found your stay a pleasant one.
It has been a pleasure hosting your grandpa and you. I hope tisi si only the first time af many... If you are not coming back, I promise I'll try to see you in the UK !
KaHaBe
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Fabulous apartment, helpful owner”
Reviewed 14 November 2015 for a stay in October 2015

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights in October. Clean, bright and spacious apartment in a nice residential area. Tram stop to city centre just 5 mins walk away as is food store. Tram to centre takes about 10 mins. Great apartment to come back to after a long days sightseeing. much better than a hotel room!
Federico the owner could not have been more helpful. He was there to greet us and explain where everything was. He provides a very useful info pack with top tips and also warned us of bus to avoid as tourists are targeted by pickpockets. Knowing one of us was gluten free he provided some gluten free food in welcome pack and had even checked if local store stocked gluten free food (it does). So kind and helpful. Thanks Federico!
I'd have no hesitation in staying at the apartment again. If you're wondering about staying don't, just book. You won't regret it.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Cleanliness, space and very helpful owner
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Friends
19 Nov 2015
Ka, many thanks for your review.. I do try to make my guests at ease... I'm also trying to give some tips that can make the stay easier and hassle free. I have to thank you for the impeccable status of the apartment ....
I hope to have you and Ally again in Roma.
Finbarr M
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Relaxing and spacious base to explore Rome.”
Reviewed 19 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015
person found this review helpful

I don't often review properties but thought this apartment and Frederico merit a special mention.
The booking process is simple and communication excellent. Frederico arranged transfers for us to be collected from the airport Ciampino (40 Euro e/w). With 2 children (14 and 10) and after an early morning flight I was happy with this. The journey took approximately 1 hour at 1030, however only 20 minutes on the way back at 0700 on a Saturday morning!
On arrival Frederico was there to greet us and ran through the details of the apartment, travel in Rome and other specific queries we had. He is welcoming and has a great manner about him. The apartment is well furnished, secure, welcoming and the kitchen is well stocked with utensils as well as a welcoming pack. Bus stop is outside and Tram stop nearby. We used trams, buses, trains, metro and taxi on our trip!
One helpful tip when in Rome is to get a ATAC transport map from a tabac. Four transport tickets and a map is 7 euro, effectively a euro for the transport map. We found this invaluable and easy to navigate. Almost all sites are very easy to walk to once in the centre of Rome, although remember Rome is built on several hills which are not clear on any map!
There are several restaurants, shops etc near by. We found some fantastic restaurants near Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere, get off the tram before crossing the bridge, which are very reasonable, friendly and absolutely buzzing with life. Being able then to relax in the Piazza's watching the street entertainment was an absolute joy.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this apartment and I thank Frederico for his help and patience with us. It's not right beside the Trevi fountain, Vatican or Colleseum which in no way should be a concern. On our second day we left at 0645 to return at 0030 with no transport issues!

Liked best: WElcome.
Families with young children
19 Oct 2015
A very nice family... a pleasure hosting you all ! I think that your comments could be of invaluable help to future guests. I'm happy that you liked the place and that you enjoyed your stay in Roma. I'd love to see you again. Many many thanks for your nice comments.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing