“Archeobus - be prepared!”
Review of Trambus Open

Trambus Open
Ranked #179 of 232 Transportation in Rome
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Cardiff, United Kingdom
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 280 helpful votes
“Archeobus - be prepared!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The only reason we used this bus was because we wanted to go to the Appian Way which would have cost alot by taxi. We paid €20 each at Terminini so that we could hop on/hop off and had not prebooked. Sitting outside was good fun with excellent views but, although the conductor was pleasant and when we got on and she gave us earphones, there was no instruction on how to use them and no checking that we had fastened the seat belts. Indeed we needn't have bothered as none of the earphone sockets we tried on two buses worked. Needless to say the conductor remained in the drivers compartment for the whole of both journeys. We passed some very interesting buildings on the way but make sure you have your own guidebook and follow your map (none were provided) otherwise you will learn nothing. We got off at the last Appian Way stop and had a really pleasant short walk on the cobblestones. The next bus arrived on time to return us to Terminini. The way to use this bus is for the whole day but not for the sights in central Rome which are largely within walking distance. Travel out and alight at the catacombs for the morning. Then hop on and get off at the final stop on the Appian Way. There is a restaurant there for lunch which looked good (we did not have enough time time visit) and then in the afternoon you can walk along the Way into the countryside of ancient Rome. I think there are also cycles to hire there but it would be a bone shaking ride! Overall it was worthwhile to get outside Rome but if you are expecting an informative tour you will be disappointed.

Visited April 2014
5 Thank Bluebellplasnewydd

Ossett, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“110 buses, not as bad as made out”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Ok so after reading all the negative feedback on this bus company I just had to provide my recent experience having used the 48 hour pass last week. I paid 22.50 euros (including a 25% discount) per person having booked on their website prior to leaving.
First day we decided to do a full circuit to see what was available as this was our first trip to Rome, there was plenty of space on the bus and having been given a tour map on the bus and a set of headphones we sat on the top deck and yes we did have a trouble with the connection for the commentary and I was beginning to think I should have just avoided the buses all together as none seem to have a good review, however after completing the full circuit we got off had a little walk and returned to get on another 110 bus to the Vatican City, this was perfect on the commentary sound and gave some good information, we continued to use the buses over the 2 days and had no problems what so ever, we did notice though that the buses did seem to alter their route slightly each time we used them, we did not know if this was down to traffic or the driver or just company policy.
The on-board Lady conductors checking tickets and supplying maps were all very pleasant, it was only the ticket sellers on the streets we had constant harassment with but these were from all companies not just 110
So the upshot is yes I thought it was worth the money and we probably would use again if we returned to Rome in the future.

Visited April 2014
8 Thank A-FunkyMonkey
Guernsey, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Utterly dump.”
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I bought tickets for this bus in a ticket office by accident, I actually wanted the Cityseeing red bus, as we had used that company in dublin and they were great. However we gave this 'official' tour ago after the rudest woman ever said she couldn't be bothered to talk to us after I had bought the wrong tickets. The bus is open top and it was raining heavily, as it had been forecast to rain, I was surprised they hadn't put some roofs on their buses? Anyway, none of the headphone ports worked, the staff were pretty uncaring and helpful, one of the guides made me wait 10minutes while she had a phone call on her mobile before she addressed me, and came to see that the headphone ports weren't working. The information itself is crap, and I knew most of it after having read the most basic of inform on rome. There are very very large swathes of the tour where the recording says nothing. Which is ridiculous, the city has 2750 years of history, every road has a story, do some more bloody research for gods sake. The stops are sporadic and seemingly arbitrary to be honest, and overall it was an utter rip off and a crap start to our holiday. Use the Cityseeing or city sightseeing red buses with the cartoony logo, they are bound to be better!

3 Thank BenLaParole
Washington DC, District of Columbia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Not that bad.”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I'm surprised at all of the one star reviews for the 110 Open Bus. I didn't think it was that bad. I paid 15 euros for a 48 hour ticket. The bus goes through the Centro Storico, as well as to the Vatican. It doesn't hit every monument but does drive past all of them at least. On the one hand, everything worth seeing in Rome can be easily accessed by walking or taking the metro/bus. However, after a few days wandering Rome on the rough cobblestone streets, my feet were killing me, I had gone through multiple attempted pick-pockets on the bus, and had been squeezed to death in the stink on the metro. The thought going through all of that again and again to access the monuments was depressing me, so I decided to shell out the 15 euros for the tickets. I bought after lunch on one day, which enabled me to ride the rest of that day, all next day, and until lunch time the third day. We rode around one full time the first time just to relax and get a feel of the route. It was a great way to see all of these cool sites that weren't on our original checklist, like the Mouth of Truth. This allowed us to add some really great stuff to our itinerary. The buses came fairly often. I never waited more than 10 or 15 minutes for one. The buses did get crowded up top since everyone wants the fresh air and good view, so a couple times, I had to sit next to a stranger. I had no issues with the audio not working, though it's not the best quality (sounds like the guy is talking in a tunnel). I have had better audio experiences with open top buses in other cities like Paris. However, I only needed to listen to the audio once. After that (since I went on the bus multiple times), I focused on just looking at the sites and people watching. One day, there was a protest in the afternoon on the streets, and a ton of roads were closed off by the police. The bus wasn't able to access any of the stops except for the Vatican one for about an hour and a half, so we got stuck riding it around and around the city until finally the Colosseum stop opened again. Not the bus's fault, though. Overall, I feel like it was worth the 15 euros (15 euros felt like nothing after paying more than that for disgusting tourist trap meals) because it gave me a chance to relax my feet, avoid public transit crowds, and see some great views and sites. While there are only maybe 8 stops on this route, everything is within walking distance of each of the stops (except the Appian Way stops - try Archeobus for that).

2 Thank Jess E
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Worse than Terrible”
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

We went on this on our first afternoon to get our bearings of the city. What a waste of 40 euros!
Uninterested rude staff and the audio commentary doesn't work either (we got on a second bus to see if it would make the tour better)
The drivers only concern seems to be speeding round the "course" as quick as possible to be able to get back for a longer break.
This was the only disappointing aspect of our trip

3 Thank GavMackinnon