“Some One Actually Did NOT Like the Lamb?”

Settimio Al Pantheon
Ranked #1,664 of 12,676 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Colonna
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Oh my God, my taste buds went crazy when I tried their veal meatballs, so to see someone say their lamb wasn't done right, what a disappointment, but than again, everyone has their own say. We literally took a wrong turn and ended up via delle Colonnelle, and I have to thank the universe for that, I was getting seriously frustrated with the prices and the monotone of the choices: pasta, pasta, pizza, pizza, more pasta, more pizza and then the FRENCH fries. Those who travel thousand miles to Rome and ordering French fries, by no means, nothing against French or potatoes, those folks just should all stay home and stop the sibling of the Rome restaurant owners who get lazy and loose their creativity because they only need to come up with three items on their menus: pasta, pizza and you know what. Trip to Italy is not all about seeing the cradle of the civilization, you travel to Italy to soak up the sun, drink amazing wine, eat some of the best mozzarella and Tiramisu, by the way, did you know that from Italian, tiramisu means "lift me up?" In any case, the night before, we were on the train from Venezia, and I overheard an Italian guy talking to an American couple about choosing best paces to savor the best Rome can offer; his advise precisly was "Step away rom the tourist path and you find the best places to eat in Rome," HE WAS SO RIGHT ON, we are trying this approach for the rest of our stay here.

1  Thank Evio_E

Reviewed 21 May 2013

My wife and I were walking by a little and dark street near the pantheon and saw some local people coming from work getting in this little restaurant. No big advertising nor tables outside. We looked in through the windows and saw many locals crowding the place, so we decided to come in. We were tired of tourist traps and bad italian food. We wanted the real italian dishes, that one likes locals.
We were the only tourists inside. This restaurant is a real italian place. The waiter was a italian born who didn't speak english or spanish and the owner and his daughters didn't do it.
The menu was handwrited, but the food was superb. We ate prosciutto from Sicily and real mozzarella cheese. It was so fresh and tasty. the second plate was fish (cod) with sliced tomato and polenta. Finally we ended with a great italian dessert: tiramisu.
This restaurant is a real discovery: a genuine italian restaurant not contaminated with the flood of tourists coming to rome. If you wanna feel a little bit italian, this is the place for you..

3  Thank Pablo B
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I think most of us that grew up in the US have a memory of going to some little Italian restaurant with wood paneling on the walls, fake red brick tile on the floor and stern-looking waitresses serving up never-ending bowls of pasta. I always thought it was an American creation, but this cozy little place proves it's the real deal. And then some.

We had reservations, but we didn't need them (even though they were difficult to make - no one on the phone spoke English). We were seated right in the middle of a half dozen other tables filled with - surprise of surprises - people speaking Italian! Something almost unheard of in Rome it seems.

The waitress seemed a little grumpy, but it was just her personality. I got a nice smirk every now and again to know we were welcome and doing okay. She paid close attention to us and dealt with our poor pronunciation of the traditional Italian words on the menu.

The food was really great and surprisingly interesting. One of the biggest surprises was a pasta that was described as being in some kind of tomato sauce. We figured it would be a house red sauce, but oh were we wrong - in a good way. It was actually a slowly stewed meat sauce that was tomato based. Very delicious. For the main course they were out of a number of the more interesting meats (wild boar, quail, etc.), but they did have pheasant so we went with that. And it was beautifully prepared.

Prices were very fair - especially for the quality.

No, it's not trendy or overly creative. But, they serve up the classics you thought you knew with the authentic Italian you came to Rome looking for. Definitely well worth a stop.

2  Thank NYC_ADK83
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I ate here my final night in Rome and it capped off a wonderful weekend of excellent food. Because of my early flight the next morning, I went rather early - I think I was the first person in the door at 7:05pm! A few other diners trickled in after I did, but it was hard to get a sense of the atmosphere when it was that quiet. I had the bruschetta pomodoro, the Cacio e Pepe (pasta with cheese and black pepper) a typical Roman dish, and the tiramisu. I adored the pasta. One definite positive, this was the first restaurant where the pasta course was small enough that I could have seen ordering an entree as well, except that I felt the calories were better spent on the dessert and some wine! The staff was friendly though a bit reserved. I would definitely return here.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Friendly atmosphere, well run with very good food and wine. The owner was present, and it looked like some staff were family members. Some tourists, but also many locals helped to provide a good atmosphere and friendly service.
The soup was excellent as was the wild boar with polenta. Also a very good Falangina to wash it down. Will certainly go again on my next visit to Rome and was only sorry that we didn't find it till our last night.

1  Thank jostan99