“Excellent location - service to be improved”
Review of Alex Inn

Alex Inn
Ranked #3,077 of 3,764 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I found this hotel on Booking.com and the price was really affordable (150 EUR for two persons for three nights), so I had to rely on the reviews from TripAdvisor to make the final decision. And frankly I did experience most of the good and bad things highlighted by the fellow travelers. I was in Rome with my sister (who lives in Italy for the past six years, but I booked the hotel from abroad). The hotel says that the check-in time is until 20:00h and because I had an evening flight, we decided that my sister goes earlier in the afternoon around 16:00h. The lady working in the hotel called me at 15:00 to check when my sister was coming and I found this very thoughtful. However, when my sister arrived the lady was in a hurry to leave (understandable because it was Sunday afternoon, but we as travelers also need hotel staff in the afternoon as we depend on different transport means) and did not even have time to give her additional shower gel. Anyway, we got the infamous room with low ceilings, so the bed or let me say the mattress is practically on the floor. It looked very charming and cute, especially as we are young and we have no problem with sitting down and bending our spines :-) The downside is that the weather is not so warm in February so it is cold to have breakfast on the balcony and we really had to squeeze in the bedroom and eat our breakfast on the bed. The bathroom area was divided in two: shower room with glass wall towards the balcony and transparent glass door, which was difficult to open once you are in the shower (no privacy at all) and toilet, which was next to the maintenance area where the breakfast was prepared, so in the mornings it was embarrassing to go in the toilet knowing that a thin door was dividing you from the lady making cappuccino. The breakfast was ok, although everything is bought from a store, but the cappuccino was fresh and nice. If you stay more than one night, it is better to buy something more as you are served the same breakfast every morning (though you make the selection from a list of around 10 items). They serve the breakfast at the time most suitable for guests (from around 7.30 to 10.30). The location is superb, really close to the Spanish Steps and very safe as the US Embassy is near by. You get four keys from all the hotel doors, so it is easy to go in and out at your convenience. If you have heavy suitcase, beware the elevator goes only to the fifth floor and the hotel is on the sixth. Due to the lack of hotel staff, it is also difficult to leave the suitcases in the hotel on your last day and do a little bit more exploration of the city before the departure, as the lady is their only until 14:00h. The best thing is the free wi-fi internet and the sky TV channels, so that you can have room entertainment in the mornings and evenings. The worst is the service - it was clean when we arrived, but after two days of having breakfast in the room, there were toast crumbs and hair all over the place and the lady did not bother to clean it or to change the towels. We also had to buy shampoo and soap because the toiletries were not sufficient, either in quantity or quality. I would definitely go back for this price, but I would try another room, as shown in the photos with table and chairs for breakfast not only on the balcony, but also in the room, and of course I would make sure my toilet bag to be full. With just a little more effort, the hotel could be a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank ViktorijaDimitrovska

Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

I was really happy arriving in Roma to discover this city.
Based on tripadvisor, I did booked Alex Inn hotel that seems to be a really nice place however the nightmare started as soon as I arrived....

First of all it's really difficult to find the place because beside a plate on the wall entrance, nothing special... And in front of the door, nobody answered... I rang for hours, phone the hotel without any answer....

Really happy with such experience and professionalism as you can imagine... If you don't show up, they charge you 1 night at least but if they don't show up what's going on ?

You need to find another place in a rush because you have to sleep the same night, you don't know the city and can't book via Internet therefore your budget explode and you loose an half day to do this instead visiting.... That's super cool !!! Thank you Alex Inn !!!! Now I hope you didn't charged my credit card and won't have any surprizes back home....

Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank Bambooly
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Location is brilliant for some-one laike us who had only on day in rome, and two nights. Prise was also really good, but because it happeppend to be someone who could´t speak english at the desk when we were leavin and my italy was not enough to explain that we got special prise offer:) we needed to call to someone before it got sorted out.
They have really good taxi service, even it is little bit higher rate than city taxi, but they pick yuo up from the airport and help you to the building wich doesnt advertise on the door being a B&B.
I loved the way I could communicate and book the room trough email!
Room was clean, nice and spacey enough and the small roof terasse was BIG bonus.
Shower worked a bit slowly, but it did and all was clean!
Breckfast by selection was great, but be aware of their toast that comes in plasticwrap.
For being exellent I would have needed more detailed info how we get out and maybe answers to some questions i made but never got answer. Bacause we are vegans I tried to get some info where there might be place to eat. We got some info and the girl on the desk when we arrived was really helpful. But they didn´t had computer so we couldn check anything raelly. There is a good Wifi connection thoug so later I managed to do research by my phone.
And yhe walls are a bit thin i guess. cos you really can hear yuor neigbours. Otherwise the area was very quiet. Afrer a racket i heard in the nights in madrid I thought i was back home in countryside here in the centre of Rome! Could hardly hear anything!
I sure wish to go again to Rome and I might try this B&B again. Even there is not a person on the desk all the time you can always call, and i have no problem if I don´t have 24 our service. Actually prefer thiskind of place.

Room Tip: We were on the middle. but room 5 would bropably be more quiet.
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We had three nights in Rome and wanted to be near the main sites. The location was good and the staff was very responsive and tried hard to make our stay pleasant. The breakfasts were very good. However, the places needs some work. The first upgrade needed is repairs to the walls and new paint. There are marks and gouges on every wall. Also, the B&B needs significant soundproofing. We could hear other guests in the halls every night. Lastly the hall carpeting needs to be replaced. The overall impression was somewhat depressive. Simple and clean/smart is fine but simple and dingy is depressing.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I am embarrassed to be writing this review so long after my visit but better late than never! I surprised my partner with a birthday trip to Rome back in April. It was a first visit for both of us and the Alex Inn was recommended to us by another hotel... we are so glad the first choice didn't work out because this B&B was just perfect! Yes it is relatively simple in its' provisions and it is true that the walls are a little on the thin side, but the service and brilliant location more than made up for it. From beginning to end the staff were very attentive to our needs and went the extra mile in ensuring that my partner's birthday was celebrated in style and no request was too much of a bother for them. For those who would like a little bit of peace, away from the anonymity of large chain hotels, the Alex Inn is ideal. I hope we get the chance to visit again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple