“Beautiful well located Italian restaurant in Rome”
Review of Dal Bolognese

Dal Bolognese
Ranked #2,250 of 13,868 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Campo Marzio
Reviewed 22 June 2018

We had a delicious dinner at Dal Bolognese. The food was excellent. The prices were very reasonable especially the wines. We had a lovely outdoor table. The restaurant was full. The clientele was beautiful. The location is perfect, only a 5 minute taxi ride from the Spanish Steps. However walking it is tough if you are wearing high heels and have to walk on the cobblestones. We highly recommend Dal Bolognese.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,084)

Reviewed 14 June 2018

On my most recent visit to Rome I wanted to revisit some of the first restaurants I loved there over forty years ago. 'Dal Bolognese' was first on the list. A lot of time has passed and the restaurant has not aged well. The prosciutto and melon was fine to start. Then I expected to find the famous 'lasagne verdi' I remember so well. Not on the menu. So I settled for 'tortellini in brodo'. Hard pellets containing mystery meat and quite tasteless. Then you could say that veal cutlet 'à la Milanese' is always like shoe leather -- this plate certainly was. I've forgotten the desert. A bitter disappointment; I wish I had kept my old memories intact.

Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

Fantastic atmosphere!! Must sit outside! Food was one of our best meals in Italy and service top notch!! Loved every minute of our meal there. High end but worth it!

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

My son's friend had recommended this place to us. The place is excellent in every way. The food, service and ambiance are all terrific. Reservations are a must as this is a busy place. It was so good that I had dinner there twice while I was in Rome recently. I had the best Mortadella that I ever had as an appetizer and the veal milanese for my main dish was great for dinner. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It was very much appreciated that they did not try to add a bread or cover charge to the check which some places in Rome do. It is located in the Piazza de Popolo which is a beautiful and centrally located square. This is definitely a restaurant to try.

Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

I have been going to this place for over 30 years whenever I am in Rome and it has never failed to be among “the best” restaurants in Rome. It’s a place where you see from tourists to the latest people making the news in Rome and in Europe with a sprinkle of celebrities and if you are lucky enough to score an outside table (my favorites) you get to see the paparazzi lurking around scouring for someone famous or infamous to take a snap of and hopefully sell it. Reservations are a must!
This tine we went for lunch and my hotel’s concierge had booked an outside table for us. Upon arrival and giving my name we were escorted to a lovely table with a “reserve” sign and my last name on it.
As we sat down, we noticed that all the outside tables (not occupied) had reserved signs too. We guessed is a way to control who sits outside, since the outside space is mostly on the street separated from the walkers by a row of green planters.
We had Negronis to start and asked the waiter for help with the menu which is all in Italian. He proudly told us that he had worked here for over 40 years. He asked us what we wanted and then suggested a few things to make antipasti, prosciutto, mortadella, fresh mozzarella cheese balls, Parmesan and some delicious triangles that were made out of some sort of puff pastry, served hot. We also had a nice bread basket with an assortment of breads and lovely olive oil.
We thought it was too much when all was served but not really. He helped us with the wine too, I told him what we like in red wines and that “would not break the bank” and he proposed a couple of suggestions both under 50 Euros, which surprised me since there were wines in the list up to several thousand Euros.
For main courses we shared two pastas, one their very famous Bolognese sauce and one with veal both pastas were delicious.
For dessert we shared their famous (must have) dish which is an assortment of sorbets served in the skin or shell of the fruit used to make the sorbet, like the walnut sorbet was inside a walnut shell, the banana was inside a banana peel, etc., one order is plenty for two. We finished with espressos and we were very satisfied.
This is a place that is timeless, the service, cuisine, location and ambiance cannot be better anywhere else in Rome. It is a must when in Rome.

1  Thank IDC637

Been to Dal Bolognese? Share your experiences!