“Very disappointed”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Esquilino
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have been four people on 10pm Saturday .Except too dishes all the other six dishes (starters and mains) were untasty and the lamb chopes uneatable and were left on the plate. The staffe didn't even ask why. It is the first time we decieded not to leave a tip.

1  Thank Chava M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,145)

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We arrived here quite late after trying to get a table at the Machiavelli Club (Mauro pointed us in this direction, as we didn't have a reservation at his establishment). So we had no reservation here either. Luckily after a short wait we got a table. The menu isn't big, unlike the wine list, 18 pages long!! But what is on it is interesting. Starters were good (radicchio flan), pasta, (my ravioli was spot on) and my wife's roast beef was special to look at, she wishes she had taken a picture, (the Japanese guests on an opposite table photographed everything they had!) and I had the breaded baby lamb, which was good, if a tad difficult to get to grips with a knife and fork, much easier with your fingers! The zucchini deep fried was a weird sensation, not something I'd tried before. All in all, worth the visit, not hugely expensive (85 Euros, with carafe of house wine). Reservation would be a bonus, the place is quite small and looks even smaller from the outside. Good mix of tourists and locals. Service was good, not in your face, but answered any questions we had. My wife enjoyed being able to see the chef's at work in the kitchen too! Glad we took the advice...

2  Thank Kevin F
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have been to Monti many times on my numerous trips to Italy, but recently brought a group of 22 students from my university to Rome on a study abroad trip. I wanted them to experience some of the best food in the city, but knew our group was way too large, so I made reservation for groups of 8 to 10 people on three consecutive days, which I know is a big deal for a restaurant with limited space. Brothers Daniele and Enrico were so accommodating and I was excited to be able to try more menu items than usual, since I was dining there three separate times.

In short, as usual, dinners at Monti were amazing. The quality of the food is always so good and consistent, and the daily specials are always exciting and worth trying, even though I am married to my radicchio flan and the tortello (a giant ravioli stuffed with spinach and ricotta and done in a sage and butter sauce). Desserts were also fantastic; the best consisted of refreshing seasonal wild strawberries encased in a gelatin flavored with sweet wine, and topped with a sauce of fresh peach and a small scoop of vanilla gelato. Bravo! Not only did my students rave about how amazing the food was, but Signora Camerucci ("mamma") came out from her kitchen to meet them and socialize and made them feel so special and so welcome.

My students don't know, but I ended up back at Monti two more times after they flew home and I was alone in Rome.. 5 times in 9 days... and every meal was memorable! Grazie a Daniele, Enrico, "Mamma", Gellion e Alexandra!!!

2  Thank Matt D
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Good food and good service . Excellent value for money. I celebrated my birthday there and had a very nice evening.
It's a small place so it's a good idea to book a table.

1  Thank liv2990
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We went to Monti with great expectations and were not all disappointed. Reservation is a must and even with a place secured you may have to wait 15' a 20' before you get to your table. Food itself is delicious and worth the visit! The stuffed Calamari, one of the suggestions of the day, was fantastic! Overall, a very tasty experience!

Been to Trattoria Monti? Share your experiences!