“Fine food, good service, but many better places”
Review of La Buca di Ripetta

La Buca di Ripetta
Ranked #507 of 13,068 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Campo Marzio
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I went there based upon a guidebook recommendation and was a bit disappointed. I had a great pasta dish with clams. I'll say it was delicious homemade pasta and since I tried linguine/spaghetti with clams a few times throughout my 10 day trip, it was probably the best. But, my mom wanted just a salad as it was lunch and she wasn't too hungry. The salad came out and it was literally only lettuce, nothing else. If you want pasta, the menu is good. If you might want something else, they don't have a lot of variety. They also don't have many varieties of wine by the glass (which surprised me in Italy) and I had a choice of only "red or white". At lunch the place was packed and there was only one server and one runner - so we had to wait a long time for someone to take our order and serve us. But the service was very pleasant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,434)

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Delicious food, nice atmosphere and good selection of wines.
As starter excellent fungi porchini with lardo and mixed seafood starter followed by cuttlefish pasta and gorgonzola ravioli.
Can recommend the place

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Cosy restaurant not far from the Piazza del Popolo. It was frequented by locals which boded well. The service was attentive and patient as we dithered over choices. I went for the suckling pig which was astonishingly good. Everyone in our party of 8 loved their dishes. The wine is not cheap (they do not do house wine) but nor was it expensive compared to other restaurants.
I chose this restaurant based on reviews I had read, and everyone in my group loved it.
10/10

2  Thank Ootytooty
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Nice reception, friendly staff. I had great pasta and meat. Wines were rather expensive though (for Italian standards). And I accepted some fresh strawberries for desert, without asking the price. 8 EUR for just a handful of strawberries is, surely, excessive. So always ask the price in advance.

1  Thank VincenzoH1962
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Whatever about the food there are many other restaurants to choose from besides this one in the immediate area of Piazza del Popolo.
Being charged for four bottles of wine instead of two put a very sour note on the evening and another 48 Euro in the till had that got away with it !
Always check the bill !!