“Very very nice”

Ranked #644 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Yerevan
“Very very nice”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I just came back from Rome and was staying at Hotel Centrale with my mom. The hotel was very cosy and welcoming. The personnel were very friendly and helpful. When our tour agency offered Hotel Centrale to us I started checking the reviews. Most people were saying that the rooms are very small and there are problems with the AC and were complaining of the breakfast. Well the rooms are not enormous but not that small not to be able to move or whatever. The room service was very fast.
I don't know what people are expecting of hotel breakfasts, as for me and my mom the breakfast was very good: at least 2 types of cakes, tasty bread (especially the bread with green olives), a variety of croissants, filtered coffee, coffee from the coffee machine, also one could order fresh espresso or cappuccino, cheese, ham, yogurts, marmelades, etc. In a word classic hotel breakfast.
As for the AC, we didn't have any problems with it. As we had caught cold (not in the hotel :)) we asked Anna to turn of the AC and she did, so we didn't have any issue about that.
The staff were very helpful, all of them!!! I asked Anna's name at the last moment when we were leaving and unfortunately I dont know the names of the others, but they were all very helpful and talk english easily which is very important in Italy. Anna and her colleague helped us very much with directions and metro and gave us an extra map with metro stations. The man who was at the night shift helped us when we needed hot water at night to drink medicine.

The location of the hotel is fantastic: Via del Corso, Piazza del Popolo, Piazza di Spagna and all the places that the tourists need are very close and we could easily walk even to Colosseum.

I definitely offer this hotel to those who need a clean and welcoming hotel at the heart of Rome.

P.S.
Wanna thank the hotel personnel for the warm and welcoming attitude :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Seaguru

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Cypress, Texas, United States
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The hotel a/cs don't work well. The thermostat will say 18 degrees celsius, which is 66 degrees fahrenheit. There's no way the room was that cold. We tried setting ours at all different degree settings, and the temp in our room never got cool enough to keep us from sweating. The air coming out of the vents never got cold, no matter what we did. So don't stay when it's hot!

That being said, the location is great. You're within decent walking distance of almost every main tourist site in Rome. We used taxis and were able to go to the Colosseum and Vatican for 6-7 euros, which wasn't bad for price. We didn't try bus services so not sure what they would have cost. Lots of shopping nearby, resteraunts with good food but be prepared to find it on your own.

For just a little more money, you can go around the corner from this hotel and stay at another hotel, get a much nicer room, much better beds, and air conditioning that actually works! So check other hotels in the area, i think you'd can find a better room for the money.

Room Tip: the top floor would be nice in cooler weather. in the summertime, don't stay on the top floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Crackers G
centraledir, Proprietario at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear guest, you have already written a negative review about our hotel ("Hotel Central, unfriendly management poor air conditioning", published on 2 September). Now you use the account of your wife (created later this week!) to release a second negative review about our hotel. This behavior is not in accordance with the ethics of Tripadvisor, as you want to create a double image damage for one stay. You say, as in the other review, that you've left our hotel to complete your stay at another hotel: you were our only guest to leave our hotel before completing your stay, it is therefore all too easy to understand that this is the same author of the review of 2 September! If the editorial staff of Tripadvisor will want to ask into sale receipt evidence of your stay with us, they will realize immediately that it is the same customer who has drawn up the previous review. I think its really unfair behavior and ask publicly the editorial staff of Tripadvisor to perform checks on your account that also lead to the removal of this review, which is a duplicate of the previous review.
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The best part about this hotel is the location, that was our aim being this the first time in Rome, the metro station is couple of blocks away and that's how we arrived from the airport. we found ourselves surrounded by nice restaurants, the Spanish steps, piazza di popolo and more.

We walked the city and found this location to be very central for what we wanted to do (walk and walk). Inside, the room was small and the bathroom very narrow but we only needed a safe, nice, and clean space to sleep which is exactly what we got, a window to a narrow painteresque street made this experience a nice one. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was enough to fuel us for the endless walks trough the city.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Solaz P
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We arrived at hotel Centrale mid afternoon. They don't have any parking so they suggested a parking garage that charged 40 euro's a day. Too much for Rome. We found our own parking for 20 euros. My wife was shown the room which was extremely hot and on the fourth floor. Elevators only go to the 3rd floor. By the time I returned from parking the car my wife was overheated and distressed. I was surprised at the size of the room. Tiny is an understatement. We also received no help with our bags carrying them ourselves. We stayed the night and the room never cooled off. We were miserable to say the least and checked out the following morning. We were charged for three nights because management told us it was Expedia's policy. It is not Expedia's policy to charge you for an unacceptable accomadation. The General Manager ms Toto showed us another room, but that room wasn't any cooler. The thermostats show a cool temperature, but the rooms are hot. I would not recommend anyone staying here. We found another room elsewhere in the city for the same price that was extremely comfortable.

Room Tip: Do yourselves a favor and find another hotel, but if you stay here don't stay a over the third f...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Randy G
centraledir, Proprietario at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Guest,
I have personally verified what you wrote on your review.
The room that has been reserved is a Superior category room on the top floor of the hotel, with a private terrace with table and chairs and lemon trees , olive trees, jasmine and climbing roses . All other guests who have stayed there felt the rooms on the terrace a wonderful experience , as can be seen from the other reviews .
The size of the room ( 14 squared meters / 151 square feet ) are even higher than the regulations of Lazio , also the bathroom is only about 9 square meters (97 square feet).
Each room has a system based on Ethernet , temperature control and power management . Any change of the parameters is plotted on the system. upon your arrival at the hotel , the outside temperature was about 40 degrees Celsius, the room was 20 degrees. The opening of the window, made by you as you enter the room, caused the automatic shutdown of the cooling system ( energy saving) . For this reason, the room was warm upon your return to the hotel the same evening.
The next day , however, we have suggested the room change , proposing a triple room, even larger , but you refused without reason. Perhaps you've already booked another hotel in the meantime with a last minute, and ye imagined your money back from us .
In this regard we point out that a late cancellation , according to the cancellation policy made explicit on the booking that you have received by Expedia, will be payable for all the remaining nights , on which we still have to pay to Expedia commissions. We did everything possible for you to enjoy a pleasant stay , your independent decision to give up even to our proposal of a change room ( as we understand that a room , as far as comfortable , may not be acceptable to our guest and , if possible, try to please them ) , could not result in economic damage to our hotel . I consider unfair and untrue as you said in your review , dictated perhaps by resentment for having made a choice to change hotel that did not have the expected consequences to you . Finally, I remind you that she has personally signed the receipt to charge your credit card at the check out , and that the hotel has operated correctly contractual .
boston
Reviewed 23 August 2013

First, when we tried to reach the manager many times during our trip, she was always unavailable. When we finally checked out, she wrote the following:

You will receive my replay on trip advisor.
Please do not disturb more us,
The Manager

When we asked to print out our boarding passes from international flight back to Boston, Anna said we could do it now or when we returned from our dinner. We chose to do it after dinner. However when we returned, Anna was not there and a man working the desk refused to let us use the computer to print them out. He insisted that we send him an email to print. This is not possible to generate the ticket and email it to be printed using our Iphones. (Adobe is not available for iphone). He said that his colleague was mistaken when she said we could print. When we asked for his name, he initially refused to give it and said he would not help us at all or give his name if we were to complain to the boss. Finally, when I told him "customer service" really should give a name to a customer, he then wrote Donato and gave us the wrong email address for the manager: manager@hotelcentrale.it. We ate dinner at Hi-Res which is less than one block away and asked their rates compared with when the same days that we stayed at Hotel Centrale. They said 89 euros per night. The front desk staff were courteous and professional. I find it ridiculous that we paid more for our had so many problems.

-Our first night, the air conditioner stopped working and my wife and I had to call the front desk at 4 am because we were awoken by the heat. The man at the desk came up twice to fix it. It still registers at 29 when it is set for 15.

-The second day we were too tired to go out in the for lack of sleep due to the air conditioner problems. I tried to relax using the jacuzzi tub. The jacuzzi tub did not work. Two staff came to fix it yesterday. They said they would go fix it when we were out. The last day of our stay an electrician arrived to try to fix it.

-our electronic key card failed to work. We needed to go down from the fifth floor at least 3 times to get a new card to unlock our door.

-customer service- Anna, David and the older gentleman who works the overnight shift were of help. However, when we asked "Donato" for a recommendations as to where to eat we were told "not many places are open on Monday nights, try that direction. After checking out places our own, we found an excellent place ranked 4 on trip advisor within about 1/4 mile of the hotel.

-breakfast, we stayed at about 7 hotels in Italy for this trip and this was the only hotel that actually shuts breakfast down at exactly the posted time. We were surprised to arrive at 10:32 and find everything put away. In fact when my wife asked for water because the machine was shut off she was given a bottle of water and asked her room number ( charged to the room?).
-directions- we called and wrote several times got directions. The last email that said take a taxi from the train station was the best advice. But was sent after we had already on public transportation and we ended up taking a taxi anyway.

In summary, my wife and I are both teachers and travel extensively every summer during school vacations. I have traveled in many countries and stayed in countless hotels. This hotel stay did not meet my expectations. We decided to spend part of our honeymoon at this hotel and regret it. We use trip advisor to help us pick our hotels and places to eat. We also often share our experiences with others. Our experience at the Hotel Centrale was poor. Please consider improving in the areas that we have noted.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel! Best room does not have elevator access.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JohnStanleyTravel
centraledir, General Manager at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
We recently hosted this gentleman, I can not just answer him, and later I will explain the reasons, but to those who read it, that these are people who are very particular and do not know what it's like to travel and meet the people who work. Since my receptionist Anna told me about these guest arrived , as a few hours, because it was continually requested for anything, I immediately turned on, but soon after I realized what they were looking. It's normal for a guest to ask for to have information but we do not are a tourist office or concierge. We are at your complete disposal but this guest interromp continuosly our desk in presence to our guest too, nothing wait ! They was looking for a free stay, yes, they have done very well in my hotel, they also talked to other customers who were satisfied and of which I have the testimony because when I realized what they were looking for us, I thought it best to take precautions. Throughout my professional career is the first time that I have a customer that pays for a standard double room complains about asking for money. We changed the room with these two gentlemen twice even though I myself have verified that there were no problems that they showed. And I also picked up the receptionist that the last time he did this change without your permission. So even with 90 € per night these gentlemen have stayed in a junior suite for 3 nights. but even this was not good, we were told, and what is worse, they have also written, that we had not repaid the entire stay, would put a bad review, if we gave him the money but no. this is not a way of doing honest. I also add that even though they were in a junior suite at no extra charge for this and for no reason, have also damaged the jacuzzi with a movement properly, the technician who we called we did this. You , normal guest, you have a weapon against us Customer hotels, however, no one had ever used with this bad ways . When frequented hotels and travel, remember that there are people who work hard and can not be called on the phone 12 times in the space of three hours only and always know what time is breakfast. I only say this to make it clear to all of you who read that from the outset there were only pretexts. When traveling, request a service, and if you do not want to pay intentionally and does everything to avoid it, it is better to stay at home. Say no more because fortunately for us, people are talking about honest customers who have been with us. The General Manager
Johnstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Really nice place ,tastefully decorated ,, try for the terraced rooms ,heaven !!
It,s tucked away down a little side street, took five mins to find after coming out of metro
.great breakfast choices'...the staff are so very friendly and helpful ,especially one called Davide , who helped guide through the pitfalls of touring a huge city ...Bravo Davide !!!!!

when I took Ill , he made sure I got the help I needed
(out hotel to the left , end of the street, cross over onto the other side and first right after the pharmacists , down he side street no19 )
Five mins from the Spanish steps , three to the metro. Via the piazza Popolo. Shops all around
all in all well worth the visit

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank elizabeth h
centraledir, Front Office Manager at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Madame ,
thank you for your stayed in Centrale. We are happy and proud of what you have written because it highlights our commitment to do all we put into our work and make your stay in Rome truly unique and memorable. The breakfast is excellent and full of fresh produce, we are happy you liked it so much, in addition to the courtesy of our staff who is not a duty but a pleasure, thanks again we expected you another time . The Front Desk and the Manager
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The location of this hotel is pretty convenient. We were able to walk pretty much everywhere that we went, from the Vatican to the Colosseum. We like walking though, so if a 45 minute walk is not for you the Flaminio subway station is only a few blocks away. Rooms are definitely small. A bed with a headboard/wardrobe on each side and about 2-3' of clearance on each side. Tv is mounted on the wall (ours didn't work) and there is a little fridge. I liked that the windows open completely and they had shutters instead of blackout shades. Bathroom is also tiny. The shower is hilarious. Kind of like trying to shower in one of those stand up tanning booths. All in all, I am happy with our stay here. Next time I think I might stay somewhere more out of the way. Being right on Via del Corso is akin to staying on Broadway in SoHo. It's a little crazy with shoppers and tourists but for my first visit to Rome it was fine. Ana and Franco at the front desk are great too if you need anything like directions or a boarding pass printed.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank eslfoster
centraledir, Direttore at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear Mr. Elsfoster,
thank you for you stay and for your comment.
I like your osservation, about the shower are very friendly ! Only 4 rooms in my hotel are little, the other are normal or extra large. Depend always to the price, so you take a very good offer and the hotel was so full that was impossible to assegn you a bigger room.
But please do not esitate to contact me for next holiday in Rome, because , we will give you an upgrade on the top. We have beautiful room like deluxe (very big room with a big big bathroom), and superior room . These room are on the top with a wonderful view. Many time is possible to reserve their only with a little difference to the classic. Our classic room are normal on the size and only 4 are a little small, but the staff of Centrale Hotel is so friendly that your holiday will be perfect however ! So, we wait you, Best Regards, Francesca T. Hotel Manager