“Location Location Location”

Ranked #652 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
San Diego, California
“Location Location Location”
Reviewed 28 February 2009

The name says it all -- central to everything; in a very good part of Rome. Tucked away on a little side street (so no street noise), but only half a block from the main walking strip, Del Corso, Hotel Centrale is a quaint little hotel. Though the rooms are nothing to write home about, and on the smallish side, they were also clean and comfortable with good bathrooms. About my only suggestion would be that they get heavier drapes -- there is a fair amount of light that comes in from the street at night, and the thin curtains don't cut it. On a side note, Massimo, the night manager, was particularly friendly and helpful. He really made us feel welcome.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 12 February 2009

We stayed at hotel Centrale for four nights and found the hotel perfect for our trip. We intended to visit as much of the wonderful city of Rome as possible, and hotel Centrale suited our purpose very well. Its location is perfect, just 2 minutes from Piazza del Popolo and 5-6 minutes from the Spanish Steps, so the hotel was a great starting point for our walks toward the main attractions of the city. The rooms are indeed very tiny, especially the bathrooms, so if you intend to spend much time in your room this might be a problem. On the bright side of things, the room is very clean, towels are changed on a daily basis, there is an LCD TV, a minibar and other useful amenities. Breakfast was OK, it excelled in sweets, and the staff was extremely friendly. We hope to return soon to the beautiful city of Rome and the hotel Centrale

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 5 January 2009

After reading other guests notes, I was happy to book a room in Hotel Centrale in Rome as a christmas present for my husband.
What a nasty shock I had when we end up in our room.
It was double room for £130. The most small and ugly room we ever been.
There was hardly any space for 1 person to move around.
The bathroom was small even for me and I am less then 5 feet small.
The money what we paid, they should use to replace the shower door.
Clean? Ok. When I did not count some pubic hair from somebody else. It was clean.
Breakfast? Not very nice. Coffee from the machine. Juice from the powder. Yesterdays cakes. We were lucky, some fresh bread was there.
My husband was so kind.
He did not say anything. I was angry. There was couple of nice things to mention.
Massimo in the reception was pleasant. Very nice hall and most of all the perfect location.
Will I stay there again? NO.
I think even luxury bedroom for £160 is overpriced and not worthy.
I am sure some people will find this hotel nice. Unfortunately we did not.
Rome is amazing town. Your stay deserves more, then be upset about size of the room. Do not risk it and get a good hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — smallest room ever
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Experienceholidays
Oslo
Reviewed 24 November 2008

We stayed 4 nights in Hotel Centrale.
Our double room was great. Good size, clean and with a french balcony. Those in our party having booked single rooms got very small rooms, but were happy still, as the rooms were functional og big enough. The two rooms on the top floor share a roof top terrass which, if you stretch up, has a view that gives associations to the movie "Moulin Rouge".
Breakfast was ok, but not great.
The front desk service was awesome. I spoke with three different receptionists, Massimo, GianPiero and and third whose name I don't know. They were all very helpful and friendly.
I will stay here if I go back to Rome.

• Liked — Service and location
  • Disliked — No WIFI, breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank benny76
Tecumseh, Michigan
Reviewed 15 October 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at the Centrale Hotel for one night while awaiting a flight home from Fiumicino Airport to the States, following extensive travel in Europe. This was our third trip to Rome and by far, the BEST hotel in Rome that we have ever stayed at, given the price.

What can I say but "location, location, location." This great little hotel, which provides the best in personalized service, is situated in one of the best areas in Rome. The hotel, which is on the Via Laurina, is sandwiched between the Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps. The Centrale is also within walking distance & close proximity to many of Rome's finest attractions including the Piazza del Popolo, the Borghese Gardens, the Villa Borghese, the Trevi Fountain, the Via Veneto, the Via del Corso and many other Rome attractions. Additionally, as mentioned above, the Centrale is less than a 5 minute walk to the Metro stop located at the Spanish Steps.

The hotel is small and personal, appearing as little more than a double-door glass entrance off a very narrow side street between the Via del Corso and the Via del Baubuino in the north end of the historic city center. Our check in went smooth and easy, as we were allowed to enter our room several hours early upon returning to Rome after a long journey.

Our room was a HUGE surprise, as it appeared to be a small Roman studio! Our room was quite large by any standard with space for a queen size bed, a small table with 2 chairs, a setee that converted into a twin bed, several side tables, a few decorative tables, an armoire and even a fireplace!

Our room was on the 5th floor, which could only be reached after taking the little lift to the 3rd floor and walking up two flights of stairs. Our unit had its own private patio, which had a great view of Rome facing east. My husband and I couldn't believe how warm and cozy our room was upon entering.

The bathroom in our room was HUGE by Roman standards and included several toiletries and added ammenities. The bath tub included whirlpool jets and was appointed with a hand held shower attachment that worked very well. One touch I really liked was that the bathroom had a HUGE window that opened to the outside, allowing lots of fresh air to move in...it was great!

The staff was beyond the best! From Franco (the day clerk) to Jean Francois, the evening clerk...to the housekeepers and porters...everyone was friendly, accomodating, helfpul and friendly. One couldn't ask for more, in my opinion!

Despite our brief stay, the staff gladly made transportation arrangements for us (for the airport in the morning), gave us several suggestions for dinner reservations, offered to make us early morning coffee and chatted for long periods with my husband and I, tolerating my horrible use of the Italian language!

While my husband and I needed to leave the next day way before breakfast was served, the staff offered to make us a fresh pot of coffee before we left for the airport...I couldn't believe how sweet & kind that was!

Finally, I just loved the location of the Centrale Hotel. While the area is a bit pricey, my husband and I ate dinner at a great little Trattoria on the Via del Corso with our meal costing around $40 Euro. After dinner, we strolled to all the main sites in Rome and settled down at the Spanish Steps with gelato, just as all the local Romans do after their busy days.

Without a doubt, my husband and I will definitely stay at the Centrale Hotel when we return to Rome in the future.

• Liked — The location, the personalized attention, the room details, the uniqueness of the hotel design
  • Disliked — NOTHING!!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mat'sgirl
New York, NY
Reviewed 20 September 2008

I'll break this review down into two parts.
First, the "Good":
Cleanliness - The room was very clean, particularly and most importantly, the bathroom.
Staff - As noted in other reviews, the staff was very friendly and personable. Upon our arrival a few hours early, Eric was very professional in trying to accommodate a twin room request and have it ready within a half hour instead of several hours. One of the overnight desk clerks wasn't overly friendly but that was made up for by all other hotel staff including the breakfast matron who was always greeting guests with a smile.
Hotel decor - The Centrale's common areas are well appointed from the small yet classy lobby to the tasteful colors of the breakfast room to the nicely painted halls and stairwells. Again, all was spotlessly clean.
Location - The Centrale is in a great location for sight access, either by foot or subway. The Spanish Steps are a brisk 5 minute walk. If you are into walking, you can walk all over the city center from here. A few blocks north of the hotel is Piazza di Popolo, a beautiful square with one of the city's largest obelisks and nice fountain. There are a number of ristorantes and trattorias in the area , maybe not as abundant as in other parts of the city, but still adequate choices. There are two subway station options, each about a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

The "So-So":
Room size - The room was small. True, from experience, I realize that rooms in Europe are usually small, but our room was one of the smallest two-person rooms in the hotel (based upon a review of the emergency floorplan) and it had the smallest bathroom. There was about two feet of space on the side and the front of the bed. The wall facing the bed housed the neighboring room's bathroom, so every time the toilet flushed the sound was quite loud. The hotel is a year old, but the room couId have used a quick coat of paint to cover scuffs obviously caused by people navigating within the small space. If you book here, be sure to request one of the larger rooms and you should be OK.
Room lighting system - The room uses a control panel for the lights that requires insertion of the room key. OK, I'm fine with that, but the illumination settings had a mind of their own.
Breakfast - I don't expect eggs and bacon at European hotels (I don't eat them anyway) but I didn't expect chocolate cake (!)served either. An overabundance of sweet pastries made breakfast an odd experience. They did have some cereals and yogurt however, which I usually eat for breakfast, but nice crusty rolls which only came out one day, would be nice every day. Maybe add some hard boiled eggs and croissants and the breakfast issue is fixed.
Automated wake up call system - This did not work. A request to the desk clerk seemed to be a good alternative, but the next morning he did not call either. Oh well, bring an alarm clock.

I would still recommend the Hotel Centrale as it is a nice little hotel with relatively reasonable rates, especially for the location.
I did a lot of research online and was basically satisfied with my hotel choice.
One note: if you plan on taking a taxi from/ to the airport, call ahead and use the car service the hotel provides. The taxi we took rom the airport was more expensive, and half of these guys are crooks. The car service was a better choice for the return and in a nice Mercedes. Enjoy Rome!

• Liked — Cleanliness, Location
  • Disliked — Room size
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RichNY62
Staffordshire
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Great location, major attractions within walking distance - but if you dont want to walk you have 2 metro stations within 5-8 min walking distance. We found the staff very helpful and were willing to help us out with local information. The rooms are small but are spotlessly clean, with fresh towels and cleaning service very day. In the rooms is a fridge, TV and ensuite. The decoration is really nice with a 1920's theme to the main areas of the hotel. The breakfast is basic (i.e. cereal and pastries), but when the location and price is so resonable you would not expect a banquet! Would definatley recommend people who want a good central base at an affordable price to go to this hotel.

• Liked — Cleanliness and decoration
  • Disliked — Limited breakfast choices
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends