“I Hope You Don't Go Here!”

Il bar sotto il mare
Ranked #1,270 of 12,682 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$0 - US$146
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We did! On a Saturday afternoon following our guided tour of the Vatican Gardens.
They were just opening. "Fish restaurant!", said the young lady who assured us they were open bu.t wasn't too sure we knew where we were.
Our guide book said that this was once an unknown local place that has now become "well-known"; Trip Advisor reviews give it 4 stars. And on an August Saturday afternoon, we were the only ones not speaking Italian. Nearly everyone in there was from the neighbourhood.
You think linguine con vongole is a simple, boring dish? You've never eaten it here!
They could tone down the salt in some of the dishes (but Romans DO seem to LOVE their salt!), but I could spend the better part of a month in Rome just going back and back and back and working my way through all of their menu.
But, if you go there, I'd probably hear English spoken, and that might break the mood.
But the seafood must be among the best in Roma!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

we allloved this restaurant, specially the rice and the fried fish. I had the best risotto pescatora ever! I strongly suggest if you likefresh fish.

1  Thank angus a
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband and I discovered this place thanks to an offline map application that shows nearby restaurant and other places. Reading the reviews here increased our expectations.
Actually the place isn't bad at all. The appetisers are good, the service is friendly. The main platters were ok. Not the best sea food we've ever had but it was good.
the local white wine (draft) is bad. I would recommend against it.
We have visited on a Sunday night, it was too crowded inside.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We went for dinner on Sunday night a couple of weeks ago and got the last table, we had called ahead from England and reserved thankfully.
The atmosphere was buzzy and lively, with lots of delicious dishes being brought out from the kitchen.
Our Italian isn't marvellous, so a lovely waiter explained some dishes on the menu and brought out lots of fish from the kitchen for us to choose from.
We decided on Frito misto to start, then whole grilled sea bass and whole grilled sea bream with some grilled vegetables, everything was fresh and perfectly cooked.
There is a decent wine list and we washed it all down with a lovely crisp white ( very reasonable )
Coffees and limoncello on the house, topped off a perfect first evening in Rome.
Excellent value for money and a really friendly atmosphere, would definitely return when in Rome!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Small restaurant serving exquistely prepared seafood. We ordered several appetizers and entrees and served them family style.

1  Thank Richard B

Been to Il bar sotto il mare? Share your experiences!