“NIce restaurant , nice food”
Review of Lo Scarpone

Lo Scarpone
Ranked #4,093 of 12,973 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$36 - US$144
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Monteverde
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We lived near Lo Scarpone, so we visited it and enjoyed our dinner very much, nice place, nice services.
On other hand, I don't think it was too outstanding and there is nothing special in that place to get there if you don't live near it,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We had Christmas Day lunch at this wonderful restaurant up on the Gianicola Hill, above St Peter's. The views of the city were wonderful and the food was superb! Their specialty pasta with scarpone sauce was incredible-rich and delicious, melt in your mouth. Everything else, including the antipasto bufet and the meats were delicious too. We had a great meal and felt like natives, eating a pranza that lasted all day. This was our third meal at this restaurant and we were delighted. We were the only non romans in the place, so you know its good! We will make this an annual event. Enjoy.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This restaurant is located in Trastevere is very popular among locals.
To get there you need a taxi, although it seems close is up the hill!
The food is good, pastas are excellent. The wine list is also good and it's not difficult to find a good wine with decent price. As a tip avoid the blockbuster regions.
Overall a nice option. If you don't have a car maybe there are other options closer to the city centre ( here you always pay less 15-20 %) then in the city that's why is so popular!

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stikes me as a real ROman restaurant, catering for the local neighbourhood. Exceptionally good meat, and i enjoyed the buffet antipasti particularly. House white wine was so-so.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We have eaten in this delightful looking restaurant several times, so I was really disappointed, and quite angry, when we had a very poor experience last Sunday.

As an ex-restaurant owner myself, I understand that problems can occur when you are very busy, but you can make up for this by apologising for the delay, maybe bringing a little appetiser to the table, etc.

The restaurant clearly has a huge local following, it is nice to see whole families enjoying a leisurely lunch, but I have the feeling they are resting on their laurels - a lot.

We waited 50 minutes for our first course, and had to grab the waiter to at least get a bottle of wine, water was served immediately. The clever customers opted for the buffet, self-service, and at least you can have something to eat while waiting, waiting, waiting for your main course.

My cozze e vongole (mussels and baby clams) were not cleaned, many were dead (closed) and the vongole were full of sand, very disagreeable. We only waited 35 minutes for our main course, and when my partner asked for balsamic vinegar to go with his meal, it arrived after he had finished.

All this time, not one apology. If they can't cope with that many people, they shouldn't set out so many tables!

The atmosphere is lovely, and we have eaten well here before, but there are many wonderful restaurants in Rome, and in this time of recession, I would have thought restaurants would like to keep good customers, obviously they have so many, they simply don't care - I can forgive a lot of things, everyone makes mistakes, but courtesy costs nothing.

Hmph!