“disappointing”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Description: Small restaurant of 40 seats, with wood-baked bread and home desserts Located in the psrimo mount of the pawns of roma instituted by the pope 5 (1400a.c.) Of remarkable historical interest.All the dishes are homemade (also baked bread and idessert) Reviewed by leading international guides
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I ate here on the recommendation of friends who raved about it. I had gnocchi with porcinis and walnuts to start.The sauce was a good combo, but the gnocchi were not so good.... too good to be store bought, but not good enough to be fresh.It was obvious I had been served a reheated leftover. The same is true of my veal saltimbocca which was so hot i couldn't touch it for a few minutes-- unmistakable evidence of microwaving. The veal was overcooked to the point of destruction and the use of a microwave on the prosciutto made it dry and rubbery.It was equally obvious that the potatoes were reheats from the day before. Potatoes are cheap and easy to prepare so there is no excuse for being this lazy. I don't mind paying 38 euros for a lunch if it's good, but charging this for reheated leftovers was unacceptable.

6  Thank robertspano

Reviewed 3 March 2012

trying this restaurant it's a unique experience that you should do it when you travel to Rome .my family and i were in Rome for 5 days i asked someone advising me for a good restaurant and fortunately he i think he guided us to this beautiful place . that is a very cozy and friendly place with a fantastic staff .i tried delicious plates especially carbonara and the deserts are so good .i recommend you to try it at least once and do not forget to reserve before in order to do not miss it.

1  Thank alice r
Reviewed 2 March 2012

For diferent reasons my family and I chose this restaurant from the TripAdvisor list as the "last lunch/goodbye" moment from our euorpean tour. It was a bit hard to find... It took us a while to get there, but the "neighborhood" was lovely... I could say one of the prettiest I've seen, so it was good to be a bit lost and enjoy the enviroment.
Anyways, we arrived and the restaurant itself was lovely... The decoration was really pretty and you could tell it was a small but very nice place to eat. The staff/waiters were very friendly and the atention was quite good too.
Now, I had pasta and Carbonara sauce. At first I thought it wasn't gonna be enough due to the size of the dish, but they knew what was just the right amount. The pasta was OK... it was actually a bit hard and the disappointing thing was that it was cold on the sides, but the sauce was DELICIOUS (we were told by the waiters that it was their specialty). Then, I had vanilla ice cream with a red fruits sauce and that was quite delicious too.
To drink, we ordered a red wine and it was fantastic.
When we asked for the bill, we were amazed by the price. We thought it was going to be expensive but it wasn't. The wine (which I have to say again: was REALLY good) cost around 4-5 euros, each dish no more than 12 euros and the dessert around 7 euros...
So, as a conclution it was a really nice choice, but still, nothing extordinary that made us say "wow... that was the best meal I've had in a long time"

Reviewed 26 February 2012

A good all-round place to visit. Fab also to create your own dish with them...

1  Thank VicciQ
Reviewed 21 February 2012

After reading several reviews about this restaurant, we decided to try. You can not locate it in standart tourist maps but it is very close to Navona Square. (3 minutes on foot)
On a Friday night, we went but the restaurant is very small and it was fully booked. The nice gentleman (probably the owner) told us that it was not possible for that night so we made a reservation and came back the next day. (it is really a popular restaurant among tourists and locals, without reservation, small chance to find a place)
We tried some appetizers and two pasta dishes, one with clams the other with a spicy ham. We also had a bottle of house wine. All the food we ate was delicious but have to admit nothing so extraordinary. At the end of the day, you are in Rome, there are soo many places that serve good food. That is one of them. (the pasta we make at home is much more delicious, sorry Osteria del Pegno)
You can go there, you will not regret. But it was not significantly different from the other restaurants we tried.
The dinner for two costs around 40-50 Euros.

3  Thank aysem_duygu