“Great Value & Food, don't miss it...”
Review of Osteria del Pegno

Osteria del Pegno
Ranked #237 of 13,062 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$31 - US$56
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Description: Small restaurant of 40 seats, with wood-baked bread and home desserts Located in the psrimo mount of the pawns of roma instituted by the pope 5 (1400a.c.) Of remarkable historical interest.All the dishes are homemade (also baked bread and idessert) Reviewed by leading international guides
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We ate here two out of three nights in Rome and it was excellent both times. Make sure to book ahead though. It's a cosy, candlelit atmosphere inside, very welcoming and the owner/host has very high standards for his food & staff. The mussels to start were very fresh, and the melon/parma ham was a generous portion & fresh ripe melon. My Seabass was perfectly cooked, covered in thinly sliced potatoes and served with sunblush tomatoes & rocket - just delicious. My husband's turbot in filo pastry was also excellent. Before you order, check what it comes with, both our dishes came with accompaniments it didn't mention on the menu, so didn't need to order extra 'contorno' side dishes. The steak the second night was beautiful, but my pork wasn't anything special. The owner recommended a wonderful wine, which was reasonably priced, as was the food.

1  Thank dmsuk_12
Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed 29 April 2012

This osteria is in my list of top 5 favourite places to eat in Rome. A couple of minutes walk from Piazza Navona, it is tucked away in a small lane off the main street Via dei Coronari. The osteria was full by 7.30pm on a Friday evening so booking is essential. Nice welcoming atmosphere and you could hear cheery chatters in both English and Italian indicating a good mix of locals and tourists and it appeared everybody was enjoying their food. The restaurant is tiny so expect to be seated very close to other diners.

The staffs were most courteous and friendly, very helpful with the menu and didn't mind me practicing my basic Italian with them (extra point there!).

My partner and I thorougly enjoyed our meal there. My ravioli with mozzarella in orange sauce was so delicious. The house red was particularly excellent.

Must try: carciofi alla romana (artichoke roman style) and fiori di zuca (deep fried zucchini flowers with mozzarella and anchovies).

I thought the value was excellent. Only a few steps away from the main square, we had some of the best tasting meals in Rome - definitely heaps better than several other restaurants at Piazza Navona and the Pantheon.

I would definitely go back again when I go to Rome.

6  Thank TheRookieTraveller
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Amazing Carbonara, good wine selection and nice service from the owner who is your host. Definitely call for reservations!

2  Thank Jon G
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Using Tripadvisor's recommendations we booked in advance. We were not disappointed. Excellent food beautifully presented, well served, and the best of all not expensive. This was a great find. We ate here at the beginning of our trip and at the end and are happy to recommend it.

3  Thank MChristine72
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We booked this for our last night in Rome and were stunned by the quality of the food and atmosphere. Book in advance, this restaurant is full of Italians who obviously know where to go in Rome! We were looking for somewhere to eat around the outskirts of Piazza Novona as we loved the cobbled antiquated streets in this area and found this on Trip Advisor. We are so glad we did ,the food was out of this world! We would recommend a bottle of Est Est Est - it was only €16 and was very tasty. All the dished were simple but made with fresh, high quality ingredients. The starter of parma ham and mozzarella came with a huge whole ball off buffalo mozzarella! The vongole was amazing and we would highly recommend it. Put this restaurant at the top of your list!

2  Thank loolibug