“My favourite find in Rome”
Review of Rome

Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Peak District National Park, United Kingdom
43 helpful votes
“My favourite find in Rome”
Reviewed 13 October 2009

I was glad we found time to visit the Capuchin Monks Chapel. Its under the Church if the Immaculate on v. veneto. It is 6 crypts decorated with nothing but the human skeleton bones of the monks from the 17th century.

I though it would be a bit like a horror set from a movie but instead I was really moved by just how holy and sacred it felt - I am not at all religious. Its not one for small kids but teens and adults will find it worth a visit.

5 Thank MonkeyDennis
20 helpful votes
“Tips on Rome”
Reviewed 12 October 2009

I just visited Rome in early October. The weather was great...no rain! I was there for 4 full days and managed to see everything I wanted.
A few things... The churches seem to be a bit more strict about the dress code then in Northern Italy. Since it was warm outside, I just used a shaw to cover my shoulders in each church. I also wore flip flops almost every day ( I live in flip flops) and I had no problems getting into churches with these on. Make sure if you want to tour the Vatican City you make reservations well in advance. The Pope also holds a general audience mass every Wednesday (if he is in town) which is free. You can get free tickets at the Santa Susanna church website.
I booked tickets for a doubledecker bus in Rome for 2 days through viator.com. We booked with "Rome Open Tour" bus company and we were very disappointed with this company. They were supposed to hit the bus stops every 15 minutes but we would have to wait 30 min to an hour....and while waiting we would see many other companies buses stop numerous times. Sometimes we would get tired of waiting and just end up walking. These buses are worth the $30-40 you spend. They stop near many of the top attractions and the Rome bus system can get confusing. You do not need to book these in advance. There is usually someone standing by the bus stops to sell tickets or you can buy tickets on the bus. Some bus companies were even giving out buy one day, get one day free deals which I was quite jealous since I bought a 2-day ticket for a horrible bus.
Rome is a huge city with a lot going on. Beware of cars....they drive crazy there and if you don't watch out, they won't watch out either. We did not have any problems with theft or pickpocketing. We did not set ourselves up and make it easy on one to pickpocket us but we did not worry about it the whole time. If you have common sense, you won't have any problems.
We took a day trip to Pompeii. It was well worth the money. It was amazing. We stopped in Naples for lunch that day...not worth it. Naples is very dirty and besides that bay does not have much going for it. Just my opinion, though.
We had the best gelato in Rome at Giolitti near the Pantheon. It has been there I believe since 1900. It was so good that I think we ate there 3 times. If you like bananas....there banana gelato is amazing! The prices are decent too.
I hope this helps some of you. Italy is amazing. Other amazing places to visit while there are Venice and Florence duh and Siena and San Gimignano were great too. Try going to a wine tasting in Tuscany....amazing!

2 Thank angela2525
22 helpful votes
“Big town...pollution”
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Rome is a dirty town. Smelly from cars and smokers. Be ready for that. very high levels of pollution. Appreciated Canada when we got home.

Transit is good and didnt have problems. it goes from the ariport quickly.

Good gelato in town and pizza.

Get the transit map if you plan on using transit.

1 Thank CanadaCantravel
4 helpful votes
“Roma Eterna”
Reviewed 11 October 2009

What a beautiful city! If you are a fan of Tosca, you can only experience the atmosphere by being there. Walked in the steps of the diva--- Chiesa Sant'Andrea della Valle, Palazzo Farnese (be warned--- you will need to request tix for a tour at least 2 months in advance!0 and finalmente--- Castello Sant'Angelo. You MUST go all the way to the top, to experience the terror of jumping to your death in the Tiber!

We stayed in an apartment located right off Campo dei Fiori, which was great for shopping. Meals in Rome are VERY pricey--- the catered apartment option is a great idea, and will stretch your budget. The best restaurant meal we had was by far at Pier Luigi. Go later in the evening and be prepared--- few of the waiters (or clientele!) speak English. The fish was perfectly prepared and the tuna carpaccio spectacularly fresh. Truly "una vita non basta"--- we will be back!

1 Thank MFDiva
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Beautiful Rome”
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Rome is a breathtaking city that all should see at least once. Around every corner gorgeous sculptures jump in the path of tourists and natives alike. With a GPS one will find tucked-away places known only to those that have lived in the city for years. Rome is well worth the splurge on airfare and espresso!

Been to Rome? Share your experiences!