“Amazing yet underwhelming”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$42.53*
and up
Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel Fast Track...
More attraction details
Owner description: Probably the most famous chapel in the world because of its incredible artwork, notably "The Last Judgment," Michelangelo's stunning fresco covering 10,000 square feet of the ceiling and wall.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First time ever in Rome and I had to visit the Sistine Chapel of course. The tour guided us through the Vatican museums until we got to the chapel. As we approached it, the crowds got bigger. I’m short 5’0” and I was pushed side to side trying to get in. Once we got closer we were shoved inside; it was horrible. Huge crowd! People were smelly and sweaty and being at my height I had to be all up in other’s armpits (not nice). I wish they would control how many people can be in there because truly I would never never go back to visit. I couldn’t take in the paintings because everyone was blocking my view. You are better off looking up the images on Google. Very underwhelming even though a big part of Italian history. Save yourself the money unless you don’t mind the smelly armpits.

Write a ReviewReviews (16,446)
All reviews
in 1,486 reviews
"ceiling"
in 1,515 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

It’s obviously an historic building with iconic art. Be warned, it’s very busy and you cannot stop to gaze and take it all in, the staff keep everyone moving.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I think I had rather laughably imagined visiting without such crowds!! Oh my, it was HECTIC and liberally filled with security guards (making sure you behave respectfully and don't take photos - as they are damaging the art).

There's a clear path alond the right hand side, and an area to pause to the left. If you pause on the path, the guards pretty much shove you into the other area!

That said, we were delighted to get to see it ourselves and it truely is a splendid experience

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Personally, I love Sistine Chapel. I visited there 2 times (one this year and the other one was four years ago) and it fascinated me both times. You can watch the beautiful artworks of Michelangelo. My favorites are God creating Adam and The Last Judgement. Before visiting, I recommend you to read about The Last Judgement.