“Awful hotel, can not believe its part of NH”
Review of NH Ancona

NH Ancona
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Ancona
Reviewed 2 February 2010

The best thing about this hotel is its name. We arrived and were immediately told off for leaving our car outside - there were no available spaces anywhere near the hotel but the reception staff weren't that helpful in suggesting where we might park. The lift is like a zinc coffin, don't use it if you get claustraphobic in lifts. The rooms were tiny, nothing special, just about clean enough but worn.

The hotel has a lovely terrace - overlooking the silos on portside. Food was OK but the staff are hardly racing to be hospitable. One gets the impression that they expect the guests to stay one night for the ferry and never to return so are not inclined to make too much effort.

I was actually quite shocked that this was part of the NH chain. I have stayed in several NH hotels and this does not deserve to carry their name.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank mad194

Reviewed 27 August 2009

After arriving in the port of Ancona I shouldn't have expected that there would be a decent hotel in the vicinity but the Tripadvisor reports I had read before booking led me to be optimistic. When I arrived in the worn out , run down, stark lobby of the Jolly my expectations were completely dashed and the condition of the faded hallway leading to a room that must not have been updated since the fifties, that ressembled a monk's quarters in fading green with a soiled, worn wall to wall carpet confirmed my impressions. Tried to use the internet they advertised but though it didin't connect and though I protested they charged me 5 Euros for it...If you arrive by boat from Croatia, keep going!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Glyncas
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Very friendly staff, knowledgeable about surrounding area. Great views of the sea, should offer Happy Hour buffet in outside terrace. Good breakfast and dinner. Close to city center. Have travelled to other NH hotels in Spain (Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla) but this hotel does not appear to be modern like these other hotels. Ancona needs to be refurbished because looks old! Had though a very enjoyable stay and would definately recommend.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank windsurfone
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Stayed here one night prior to a ferry trip. The front-desk staff was very helpful with the many questions I had regarding the area. While she didn't speak English well, we communicated in Spanish relatively well.

The room was nicely appointed with a window view of the harbor down below. The refrigerator is stocked with overpriced articles but I've never been desparate enough to pay 3 Euros of a small water from one of these so its just expected... Good bed. TV with many channels. Nice bathroom with complementary toiletries. The only drawback to the room was the very strong smoke smell. If not for that, the room would get a "4" instead of a "3".

Breakfast was good with many fresh pastries, very good coffee, juice, yogurt (very fresh, not old). I would say a bit about the standard hotel breakfast you can expect in Europe.

All in all, the front desk staff was what made this hotel good, plus the very good rate I received on the internet from a 2nd party booking site. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank jumbonav
Reviewed 22 May 2008

Overpriced and pretty awful, could not wait to leave. It was out of season but I have never eaten such bad food in Italy, avoid the restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank crazycockers
Reviewed 22 January 2008

This one was rough.

My fiance and I still laugh about how bad "The Grumpy Hotel" was, even two years later. The staff was icky (translation: absent, disinterested, often downright rude) and that wasn't a welcome reception when we climbed up a virtual *mountain* to reach the danged place to begin with. If you're going to stay at this hotel, I do not recommend walking from the train station with lots of luggage. You'll be sad if you do.

We were to take the boat from Ancona to Split, Croatia the next day, which is why we stayed at the Jolly Hotel. It's incredibly close to the boat, which is great.

If you are tall, beware! The hotel is old and the doorways are *low.* My fiance is 6 feet tall and he banged his head so many times coming in and out of the room/bathroom...I felt so bad for him. After the sixth head-smack, he was so grumpy that we gave the place the nickname.

The room was pretty dirty, the sheets were like cardboard, and the breakfast was so-so. I wasn't expecting that much, I really wasn't -- but the hotel was pretty bad and I'd definitely look for another place to stay if I find myself in Ancona, Italy again. I don't think I probably will.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WriterMary
Reviewed 24 August 2007

An small town hotel.
Old rooms and premises Great view of the harbour (yiakkk).Expensensive and for sure not 4 stars maybe 2,5.Must have a car to move around as its far from the center but near to the harbor,If you plan to catch a ship is recomended.breakfast is good.Reception people neutral.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple