“A FANTASTIC customer service”

Espressohotel Bologna Centrale
Ranked #70 of 103 Hotels in Bologna
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A FANTASTIC customer service”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

If you arrive at this hotel you should hope to be greeted by GIOVANNI-He was both genuine and caring. After having travelled to a few hotels prior in Italy, his enthusiasm for customer care was most welcome and his English was way better than my Italian- if only he could have been cloned and present at the prior hotels. This hotel was found to be in v good order, excellent position to train station-short walk to places of interest. The only negative was at our breakfast there was a major lack of quantity of food and not enough basic choice eg bread. Regular replenishment did not happen even though there was still 1 hour till breakfast ended.
If management are reading this please pass on our THANKS, again, to Giovanni and please look at your breakfast service from a travellers point. Thanks

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed four nights to be based here for some one-day trips out of Bologna. Location was nice as it may take only 5 minutes from the central station and 10-15 minutes to the major sightseeing area while I felt difficult to find the place only the first time I arrived at the station. Other than typical European petit hotels, this is very stylish and modern hotel we can find in other countries.
The room was very clean and large enough, I liked the comfortable bed. Hotel staff was so kind and dealt with my question appropriately every time. Breakfast was included in my plan but it may not worth saying something particular. Nothing's good or bad, but I skipped the breakfast from the second day.
In order to use free wifi, we can get the password at the reception. As I had my own wifi router, not sure if the hotel's wifi was well or not.
Given it's nice location, I will recommend this hotel for the travelers who are planning to take trains from central station and I may also come back again if I would stay in Bologna.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel in mid August for a couple of nights and would give it a 3* rather than 4* if it was not for a rather good and competitive rate .

The hotel is conveniently located about 10 min walk from the centre of Bologna.
Train station is a couple of min away which is very convenient if you intend to explore nearby towns (I was surprised to learn that it only takes about 40min on express train to reach Florence) which is somewhat faster than the journey to the same destination from Pisa I used to take.

The hotel is located in what appears to be an apartment block facing a rather busy road.
Although I arrived rather late at around midnight receptionist was friendly enough to welcome me and he was fairly patient with me on the phone as I struggled to locate hotel entrance in the dark.

I was allocated a room which to my surprise was very small, tiny in fact containing a single bed (the room was so small it simply won't have space to accommodate two beds).

My overall impressions of the hotel are rather mixed.

Positives-good location, for both railways station and airport shuttle, and it's easy to reach city centre.

Competitive rate-I paid £75.00 for two nights (including breakfast which I chose to skip in favour of sleep) which I consider to be a rather good deal, especially for Italy where hotels in most tourist destinations are usually somewhat overpriced.

Free mini bar drinks was a nice gesture.

No so positives-
Hotel calls itself a design hotel which I would eagerly disagree-I couldn't see anything "design" there (at least how design hotels are supposed to be in 21 century). Corridors leading to rooms were rather dark and uninviting, and I thought there was a hint of unpleasant smell, the room design was rather basic displaying signs of wear and tear (there were quite a few dark marks on the wall next to my bed and elsewhere around the room, bedstead appeared also to be not very clean and there was a noticeable water mark on bathroom ceiling (see photos). I happen to see what I presume they call executive double room which apart from larger size also left a rather dull impression.
Hotel photos on travel website look rather more shiny and bright than what I saw in reality.

As I arrived to hotel late in the evening I had to walk past a lady who appeared to ply for a business discussing something with car occupants who just pulled up.
No problem for me but perhaps a solo female traveller won't feel comfortable walking there in dark hours.

View from my room was not particularly inspiring as it overlooked a roof of what I assume was a hotel restaurant located on ground floor) with numerous boxes (air conditioning? set up on it and apartment block located next to hotel building.
My room was fairly quiet and I didn't have problems with noise as such although I could hear it dimly coming through at times.

A tip-try ice scream from a parlour located next too two towers in the city centre-very delicious! :)

To summarise the hotel is fine for those who just looking for a base to explore Bologna without high expectations and indeed it offers very good value for money. Having said that the hotel management could easily improve overall experience of the property by simply giving a lick of fresh paint to walls and ceilings in bathroom to cover obvious markings and leaks in bathroom (see photos).

Those who are also looking for a truly original "design" décor and higher level of service perhaps should look elsewhere and of cause be prepared to pay more.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Lilydale, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We recently stayed in this hotel. It was a bit shabby looking in the street from the outside, but inside is clean and neat. It is nothing special but a clean place. The rooms are a good size. They supply the first round in the mini bar for free, soft drink and water and juice. We didnt eat breakfast as it wasnt all that good. Staff and the front desk are friendly and helpful. It is very close to the station and bus terminal.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Excellent hotel and staff, especially for that price. Free drinks in minibar, free wi-fi internet access, rich breakfast with a lot of fruits. Very convenient location near the city centre. Parking in front of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Williamstown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The beds here are comfortable and the hotel is very convenient if you are arriving to Bologna on the train. A short walk and you are in the heart of the old city. There are a few restaurants and convenience shops in the area.
The staff was very helpful and allowed us to store our bags before and after our reservation. No complaints.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in back if you are a light sleeper as many face the front and the busy street.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The hotel is modern, stylish and within easy reach of the train station. The rooms are lovely and kept very clean. However, I was charged twice for my room by accident and I am STILL waiting to be refunded 3 weeks later. So am sorry to say that despite a good experience I feel very let down by the service.

• Stayed July 2013