“Good but somewhat 'seasonal'”

Hotel Cosmopolitan Bologna
Ranked #17 of 103 Hotels in Bologna
Arezzo
“Good but somewhat 'seasonal'”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I use to stay in this hotel several times throughout the year. I am overall satisfied by the quality (including the room cleanliness and breakfast service), although I would rate my last stay (one week ago) as below average. I think this is partially due to the fact that the hotel is mainly used by business people attending the fair events during the year, and late June-beginning of July is not the peak season for the hotel. It also seemed to me that the personnel was slightly understaffed and the breakfast service was poorer than usual (when I asked for an espresso coffee I was asked - for the first time- to use the automatic dispensing machines instead of having it made with the traditional espresso one). Anyway I will test the hotel in the coming weeks in one more occasion and will see whether the quality will rise again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Daniele S, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Cosmopolitan Bologna, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,
I read your review but onestly I do not understand its point. Our standard is overall the same all along the year, there are no limitation or differences between summer and the rest of the year.
We certainly do have our personnel on vacation, but it is always replaced with other people of the same exactly professionalism.
The breakfast it is always the same, but I will surely look after all the things listed in your review, just to be sure.
Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We picked this hotel for a cheap 4 star option overnight (55 euros). The hotel itself is a good but it's not really near anything, so don't consider it if you don't have a car.

Our room was on the ground floor and designed for handicapped. In the morning I was told that it was what I had booked the cheaper option... I hadn't realized. Anyway it wasn't really a problem, just lots of bars and handles everywhere, a huge bathroom and oversized bathroom door.

The TV was tiny and no English channels, only one bedside table, but other than that everything was fine. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was good. The wifi connection was poor, probably because our room (16) was at the end of the hallway.

If I stayed here again I would check that I had internet in the room before accepting it.

Room Tip: make sure your room has a wifi connection
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniele S, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Cosmopolitan Bologna, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest,
first of all I would like to apologize for the issue concerning the wi-fi connection. Unfortunately the telephone company that provides our internet service had some malfunction. I apologize for that even if it was not depending on our will.
The room you have booked is called Economy. It is on sale for a lower price as it has some particularities such as the open shower, and all the equipments for disables (reason why the bath is larger and the room smaller). These particularities are shown on all pictures during the reservation so that our guests can be aware about all features of the room.
Have a nice day
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Enjoyed our stay. Front reception staff very helpful. Exceptionally good value. Rooms are modern and bed is comfortable. Would suggest leaving a second spare pillow but other than that I can't fault. Would recommend

Dear Sharlene,
thank you very much for sharing your positive experience on tripadvisor.com
I am really happy to understand that your stay was as good as you expected. Thank you for your suggestion, I will surely consider it for the future.
buckinghamshire, england
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night on two occasions whilst on a coach tour to southern italy and return journey back to Uk .
Our first stay going to south Italy was good with excellent room and dinner and breakfast were fine . On return last Tuesday whilst room was excellent and clean the meal was appalling , i got a feeling that there were staffing problems as the Waitress was trying to do the bar as well a serve food . Getting a drink before dinner became a real task and when drink served wrong glasses were used . Hey ho never mind after all dinner was on its way , well so we thought. What arrived was i think supposed to be two pieces of pork we think!!!! and a few cold strange things that i believe were chips, the sweet was not much better . Awful meal which is a real shame as the hotel and rooms were good , as often happens the restaurant lets the hotel down .Still i would stay again but eat outside somewhere even if had to drive. It was only a one night each way stop , so hey ho apart from awful meal a ok hotel .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank easyrider39
Daniele S, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Cosmopolitan Bologna, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest,
I am really sorry that your second stay was not as good as the first one. I truly apologize for all the inconviences. I was informed that we had some problems. Two of our waiters on their way to work had a car accient and they could not made it to get to work. This accident has caused a lot of inconvieneces both to the bar service and the restaurant one.
Please accept my apologies once again
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Fine hotel in the middle of the old Bologna. Were nice and helpful staff, all with good language (English) skills. We needed help packing our bikes together (for SAS air-transport) and the staff immediately found a lokal repair-shop, which could do the job. When we needed a l-a-r-g-e taxi, to take the bicycles to the airport, same excellent service. GREAT.....
One small problem: the coffee was 'americano' (??) = instant, how can they do that in Italy ??
Greetings Lars Ellesøe/Denmark

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
I am really glad to read that we have been helpfull to you during your entire stay. We care really much to this aspect as we intend it to be essential in our job.
In addition to the coffee made by the authomatic machines you can also ask for an expresso and american coffee made directly from the breakfast personel.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel was clean and the bar staff pleasant. A bit too far out the city for us but a shuttle service was made available in and out the city by the hotel. Breakfast was basic but this we found was normal for breakfasts provided in Italy. For the price we paid it was value for money.

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for the valuable review posted on tripdavisor.com
I am really glad to understand that your stay was as pleasant as you have expected.
Bristol
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We are staying here as i write this. We booked a 3 night stay here with expedia for a very good price.

Pros ... 4* rooms, friendly and informative reception and good breakfast.

Cons...... A l;ittle way from the centre although they have their own minibus running regularly.

Despite the location its no big deal as their minibus is always bang on time.

Room Tip: Try and book via expedia. We got a real bargain !!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniele S, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Cosmopolitan Bologna, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest,
I am really glad to read that your stay was as good as you expected.
I would like personally to thank you for posting such a good and positive review, giving some real good advices to all those who look for some additional information about us on tripavdior