“Could be better”

Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Vitale
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Located a few minutes walk from the Piazza Maggiore, I opted to dine at this Trattoria after seeing some reviews on tripadvisor.

Decor is tiring, very simple and common. Menu is well varied and priced moderately. Service could be better.

For starter I had Tagliatelle al ragu, good but I had much better in Bologna. For main i opted for catoletta Bolognese, which came in a bad presentation topped with low quality cheese and ham. The catoletta was a little bit damp and lacked crunchiness as one normally expects. The roast potatoes were tough and many of them seemed to be suitable only for throwing away. A good note is the olive oil and balsamic they serve, very good quality.

I might give it another try, tough if I want to be safe, I would walk 100 metres and dine at Da Pietro.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We were lucky enough to get a table here over Easter weekend when the town was very busy, and were so glad that we did. It's a family-run concern, friendly to tourists (though most diners seemed to be local), and serves high-quality regional home cooking. My tortellini en brodo was the best I had in Bologna - plump little pasta parcels in a clear chicken broth - and my husband ordered a plate of griddled aubergines which he swears were the best he's ever eaten anywhere. The creme caramel was also a memorable success, and neither of us are huge dessert freaks. Most pasta dishes were under 10€; our bill with half a litre of wine, sides, pudding and coffees, came to 50€ in total. Excellent value for such simple, well-executed food enjoyed in a vibrant friendly setting.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Very basic café. Short menu with wines by the carafe. Reasonable example of local cooking. Be there for 7.00pm as it gets very crowded.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were searching for Trattoria Donatello but it had closed down, and discovered this lovely Trattoria opposite. Lovely meal and reasonable prices, most diners seemed to be Italian, always a good sign.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have been visiting Bologna since 1996 at Cersaie. I have to say that Tonys is the best Restaurant I have ever eaten in in Bologna. Do not go anywhere else for Service and the quality of food.
I am back in Bologna in May with my wife and will be back to Tony's again.........