“Authentic local food. . .”
Review of Merlo

Merlo
Ranked #272 of 1,943 Restaurants in Bologna
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Saragozza
Reviewed 18 October 2013

A classic traditional Italian eatery that my Italian friends took me out to. It is a long and narrow restaurant with the kitchen a half level up and at the end. Real authentic "home cooked" Italian food. We started out with a plate of cold cuts of mortadella, salami, 2 different Italian hams and an unidentified meat that was also good. All the meats were fresh. We then sampled 3 different types of pasta: a meat tortellini with a cream based sauce that was just delicious and my favorite pasta of the evening. Next came a pasta that is rarely found outside of Bologna that was dressed with some sort of potato sauce. It was good but did not top the tortellini. The final pasta dish was pasta bolognese, fitting for the place we were at. This too was delicious but still came in second to the tortellini. We finished the meal with a schnitzel like dish which was pressed meat topped with ham and a cheese sauce. Very good. I was extremely pleased with the meal. The service was also extremely personable. We skipped eating dessert here so we could go for some Italian ice cream! Crazy but true story!

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Great restaurant, excellent service. Pasta to die for....The roasted Rabbit was superb and the bolognese pasta was the best we have had on this trip. Try the pumpkin flan ( not sure of the name, but it is a cheese pumpkin appetizer ) - fabulous.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Food here is superb. I had traditional Bolognese dishes on my first night (tortellini, tortelloni, tagilatelle). It was so good, I went back the next night, so as not to be disappointed by an inferior restaurant on my last night in Bologna... and my meal the next evening was just as good.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

This restaurant has been recommended to me by a good friend of mine from Bologna, whom I consider to be an authority for great Italian food, and now every time I am in town, I make sure to come here.

The service is great, the restaurant is clean and while it gets busy (not many tourists, mostly locals), there is still enough place to sit comfortably and it's not too loud, thus very acceptable for business or meeting friends.

The food is fantastic. Make sure to get a lot of warm antipasti (try bianchetti - fried whitebait).

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Our friends from Bologna were surprised when we had heard about their favorite place, Merlo. We tried going on the Saturday but during July/August they close in the weekend as its mainly locals who visit and they leave town for the weekends. Open Mondays though.
Had the Merlot tagliatelle with seafood, amazing. The primi are large enough for a meal, and secondi are simple without any side orders. Generous with the little things like amouse bouche, good bread and small dulce with the coffee. Once again I leave and Italian restaurant with a full stomach and a smile on my lips.
Such welcoming staff, very children friendly, good at English. According to my son (7) who now has tried over ten pasta bolognese, this one was the best!!