“Not impressed”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Very popular
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Called late in the evening and the restaurant was very busy. We were seated at a recently cleared table. I was served a warm bottle of beer, my partner a delicious glass of red wine and no napkins appeared. Got the distinct impression the staff were doing you a favour by letting you eat in the premises,I ordered a steak with sauce cooked in rosemary and my partner went for the bolognese. Our food arrived and my steak although a perfectly fine piece of meat had neither sauce nor any hint of Rosemary and was accompanied by some classy packet chips. The bolognese was passable. The restaurant looks the part but there really is much better out there.

2  Thank Agueroooo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,142)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This restaurant is okay, not great, not bad. The food is good, not great. The service is friendly and speedy, the room is really nice. However it seems very "old school" and past its prime.

1  Thank RalphGleason
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Went there because TripAdvisor said it was close to me and well rated. Busy dining room with lots of locals, which is always a good sign. Nice ambiance with lots of restaurant history on the walls. Prompt service, almost too prompt; this place runs like a well oiled machine. Had the mezzelune to start, which were good, but nothing out of this world. The mains though, the Cotoletta Donatello, was incredibly good. I could have have chomped through piles of the stuff, it was so good.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We were part of a large group (50 plus), yet were served with individual attention! The food was delicious - the pasta as well as the meat dishes. Worthy of note is that Donatello offers vegetarian alternatives. We clearly got the impression that this is run as a family business where the family is conscious of the reputation it has to maintain, and thus adheres to high standards. The decor is joyous and I would recommend this restaurant to those seeking to celebrate a special occasion.

1  Thank MIKKAVON
Reviewed 1 June 2014

There were three of us and we were rushed through our order.
The food was normal bologna fare, but the room was buzzy and very nicely decorated, (lots of famous visitors over the years).
Nothing special, nothing bad, average price.