“Majestic is an understatement”

Grand Hotel Majestic "Gia Baglioni"
Ranked #1 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We stayed at this utterly charming hotel for five days in September 2011, as part of a conference. The rooms are beautifully decorated in old world charm but with all the modern day conveniences. The hotel is centrally located with lots of restaurants close by. Breakfasts were hearty; lounge was a bit spartan. Service staff were attentive and knew our names and wishes by the first evening. Kudos to the concierge staff, who managed to find us a cab despite the fact that the entire downtown area was closed to traffic for a marathon. This meant phoning around to 'find' an available limo, asking him to wait and running with us, bags and all, at least five city blocks to our waiting chauffeur. I dont know how we would have gotten to the airport on time if they had not helped us. Definitely deserving the 5 star rating.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are airconditioned. However, if you prefer your window open, ask not to be on the m...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank salvadordallies
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Dear Ibunz,

thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Grand Hotel Majestic "già Baglioni".

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we very much look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Sincerely.

Tiberio Biondi

There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Majestic "Gia Baglioni"

Reviewed 8 January 2012

without boring you with a thousand word review i'd say that out of the many hotels and cities i've been to in italy the grand majestic was the worst hotel and bologna the worst city.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed the Grand Hotel Majestic for 3 nights, 28-30 Dec 2011 in superior double at EUR215 booked via Booking.com (single traveller). At this rate, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Room 244 and it was well worth the money. I heard that during the busy exhibition period the rate more than doubles, and in that case I would think I was well overcharged. The location is FANTASTIC - easy walk to P. Maggiore (1 min) and Bologna Centrale (10 mins). During the cold winter months it was handy to have the hotel in the centre of town - you could go out for a couple of hours, when it became too cold you could go back to your room, warm up, then go out again.

I noticed some of the carpet in public areas could be updated and the chair in my room had seen much better days (scratched and scraped), but it did not detract from my visit. The bathroom was all white, beautifully renovated with a fantastic selection of products and very useful add-ons like the shoe-shine kit which I actually did use on a daily basis for my boots. The bed linen and bathroom linen were all top quality.

The olde-worlde interior design with lush fabric wall coverings, chandeliers from Venice and drapes over the bed were somewhat of an amusement to me coming from Sydney - we prize the ultra modern, ultra cool - but nevertheless I enjoyed the change of pace and the style suited Bologna's medieval portico architecture. It was a delight to sit in breakfast room - I have to say the service was impeccable and I had everything I wanted for breakfast (superb cornetti crema and some fresh fruit on the side and 2 coffees ha ha ha) The tableware and setting was lovely.

This is my second visit to Bologna. I must say, I did not enjoy Bologna on my first visit in early Sept 2011 - the heat was stifling, the medieval portico architecture did not allow for any kind of cool breeze, the city was too crowded and I all I could see was the grundgy dirty graffiti-covered buildings. I could not understand why a friend told me I needed 5 nights there (I think she was pazzo ??)

Now coming back in Dec 2011, I learned that Bologna is definitely a WINTER city. I enjoyed it SO much more in December, rugged up in a coat and gloves, sparkling Christmas lights on the Asinelli Tower and I actually took a long walk past the Via Saragozza, past Via Aldini up to Via Cino di Pistoia - a lovely residential area with a fantastic view of the city centre. I saw a beautiful side that I missed on my first visit - so I recommend visitors get out from the confines of Piazza Maggiore and see what else is there! (Although you still dont need 5 nights there ha ha ha but Ravenna's mosaics was DEFINITELY worth a day trip. They were spectacular and the Bluone Cooking Class with Marcello e Raffaela was also a highlight of this trip).

(And another thing I do really like about Bologna is having lunch at AF Tamburini - sitting outside on the stools and wooden barrels with a piatti of salumi e formaggio misti and a nice red wine - I could still do this in winter, they had fantastic outdoor heaters making it great to sit outside despite being December!)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view towards Piazza Maggiore - I had an internal courtyard view - nothing much...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank YasmineinSydney
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Excellent hotel - we stayed over Xmas and it was perfect. The staff were all welcoming and obliging; the room was perfectly clean; the bed was blissfully comfortable; the bed linen the highest quality and the towels and bathrobe the fluffiest!

The hotel is in the centre of the city and so you can easily walk everywhere. Bologna was a delight to explore - but is ruined by the graffiti. The graffiti is everywhere even on the lovely old buildings - it is the worst place I have ever visited for this. That is the only minus mark for our visit.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Tiberio B, Direttore at Grand Hotel Majestic "Gia Baglioni", responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2012

Dear Guest,
thanking you for sharing your experience with trip advisor community we are glad to be desrving of our 5 stars.
The continuous commitment of our company to ensure the highest standards of quality and service, it is for us source of pride.

Awaiting the pleasure to welcome you back at The Grand Hotel Majestic già Baglioni in Bologna, we remain

best regards,
Tiberio Biondi

Reviewed 28 December 2011

Fantastic building, great furniture, in short beautiful old fashioned hotel. The position is unbeatable, 3 minutes from Piazza Maggiore in the central via Indipendenza; you can explore the whole center on foot. However, the hotel could use some refurbishing. The staff is uniformly kind and professional, but some of them lack a bit of polish, perhaps of experience. However, I have no complaints: room service, cleaning, reception and breakfast staff were very good, the room service in particular efficient AND almost invisible. The structure was not full, which is such a big hotel gives a strong impression of echoing emptiness. I had room 202, very big but rather dark: very good bathroom with bath and marble shower stall apart. Good matttresses, albeit not exceptionally so. I do not like carpet flooring, however: it always seems on the verge of being dirty. Also, it is very elegant to change linen sheets every day and change towels morning and night (when they came to open the beds); but it would be nicer still if they smelled of soap and not of a chemical bath. It is perhaps more hygienic but less pleasant. I would, however, go back. I payed 10% less, booking in advance via internet: at 220 for the double room, breakfast included, I thought it wasn't so bad... I did not try the spa.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Was on a small business trip and i didnt book this hotel for myself.

Arrived at 14 of december around 12 o clock. Check in wasnt before 2 pm, but my room was ready but not the other room for my collegue. However the recepionist did som reseacrh and found a room for him and he even got upgrade to a deluxe room. Very good service.

The hotel has an old style with "heavy" furniture, and its nice for those who like that style.

My room was quite spacious as well with a huge bath. A small error though since it was a used bottle of shampoo in the bathtube. No big deal, but shouldnt happen at a 5 star hotel.
The view from my windows wasnt that great either, right in to another building closeby
( backyard)

Th service at the hotel was basically exellent with that small extra, nothing to complain about there.

The room and size was also very good , the bad was a bit hard, but ok enough. Alot of pillows :)

The hotel would probably a gotten 5 stars from me if it was not for the breakfast, that was not worthy for a 5 star hotel. Reminded me of the breakfast I got in the 3 star Hotel I just visited in Tallinn. Actually that breakfast was better...

The hot food was "cold" and tasted not so good, very little choice of juices and bread and basically kinda small/little selection. The breakfast I would give 2 out of 5..And if it was not included in the room price , the price was 25 Euro...That would be a robbery for this kind of a breakfast..

Conclusion: A pricey hotel in Bologna with nice rooms, exellent location and service, but skip the breakfast... ( try to get a better price with breakfast not included)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Gran Hotel Majestic for three nights. We were warmly greeted upon arrival and quickly shown to our room. This was a relatively large suite with a terrace overlooking St. Peter's Cathedral. It also had a sizeable walk-in closet and a beautiful bathroom. The linen and towels were always fresh, and the room itself was squeaky clean.

Besides the excellent housekeeping, the reception staff was always very helpful with their suggestions.

The hotel is in an excellent location right in the heart of the city within a short walk of the main attractions, shopping and really good restaurants.

As far as five star hotels go, the Gran Hotel Majestic is certainly good value for money.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple