“One word - Excellent”
Review of Hotel Il Guercino

Hotel Il Guercino
Ranked #29 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed 7 June 2012

A dear friend who lives close to Bologna booked us into here at very short notice, what a fantastic decision!

It's about five minutes walk from the station (quite literally left out of the Stn, first left over the bridge, walk about 300 mtres, turn left just after the large church on your right and you are pretty much there.)

Just off the main road this hotel is peaceful, you enter via a beautiful courtyard, most unexpected in a City Centre location. Staff are fluent in English, polite, helpful and smiling.

Within 2 minutes of arriving we were in our extremely comfortable second floor room with marvellous amenities including fully stocked minibar, huge comfortable bed, marvellous bathroom with most modern fittings.

We were only there overnight so a brief stay and no chance to sample the food and drink but, next time, (yes we will be back) we will. Ideally placed for the railway station, the city centre and about a ten minute cab ride to the airport.

Would I recommend it? YES!!

1  Thank Andrew S

Reviewed 5 June 2012

Il Guercino is only about 400 metres from the train and bus stations in Bologna but is in a quiet location, away from the noise and impersonality of most transport hubs. We had a suite (not originally requested) which was spacious if a bit old fashioned; comfortable; quiet; decent bathroom; good breakfasts. Maybe not a place to stay for any length of time but a good city base at most reasonable cost. About 500 metres from the old city and all its facilities; a most adequate restaurant next door (seperate owners).

Reviewed 1 June 2012

I went to il Guercino 4 years ago, and enjoyed my stay very much. My second visit was, if possible even better. It's such a lovely hotel, the staff are all friendly and welcoming. My room was extremely comfortable, and if the weather had been better I would have made more use of the little terrace.

The location is brilliant - a residential area just far enough from the centre to be quiet, and only about 10 minutes' walk to the central station. There is a local market nearby, as well as several cafes and bars etc. Walking to Piazza Maggiore takes about 20 - 25 minutes unless, like me, you have to keep stopping to admire architecture and shop windows, or just watch the world go by. When your feet hurt after all that strolling, there are two good bus routes along Via Independenzia.

The breakfast is very good, and there is a large gluten-free selection as well.

Grazie, tutti a Guercino! I enjoyed being there (in spite of the terremoto) and look forward to returning to your lovely hotel in a fascinating city.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

The hotel is conveniently located just a few minutes walk from the train station and with easy access to the bus stops which take you straight to Piazza Maggiore. The room which we had was brilliant, it was spacious with excellent amenities. The bathroom shower was especially nice. The staff were very helpful and for a three star hotel it's perfect. I personally wouldn't choose another hotel in Bologna when I return. The surrounding areas is quiet so sleep quality is perfect. You also have some excellent cake shops nearby with an excellent pizzeria opposite to the hotel.

1  Thank Jermaine J
Reviewed 28 May 2012

A small, comfortable hotel five minutes' walk from the Bologna train station, with helpful friendly staff. The elevator was being repaired during my visit, a nuisance as my room was on the third floor, but no doubt temporary (May 2012). The restaurant they recommended, just next door, was excellent value for both food and wine and a godsend for a late-arriving traveler. Usual buffet breakfast, okay but nothing special.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I had lowered my expectations for Il Guercino based on reviews, but the location and price were terrific and the rooms looked nice on their website. So I was pleasantly surprised. I expected a cramped room; it was anything but. Not spacious, but plenty of room, even a desk and chair, and it had the roomiest shower of all 4 hotels we stayed in. Not at all cramped. My partner and I stayed 4 nights in mid-May (just a few days before the nearby earthquake hit). The main benefit of the location is its proximity to the train/bus station (5-10 minutes walk) and the quiet area. It's a short walk to via Indipendenza, the main shopping artery into the old city. There's an overpass bridge to Independenza (and from the station) that can be a little tricky to manage with bags if it's a busy time of day; there's a walking lane and bike lanes in each direction. There's a small grocery on the corner of Luigi Serra as well.
We opted out of the breakfast, and it was nice to have the option to do so or to try it on a day to day basis as we liked. Coffee and maybe a small bite was usually enough for us, but the in-house breakfast sounded extensive and decent.
The staff was friendly and accommodating, and there was always someone at the desk, no matter the hour. Check-in and check-out went very smoothly. I'd stay here again and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind the 15-minute walk down Independenza to the Piazza Maggiore.
There are more great places to eat in Bologna than even a month's stay could accommodate, but three places not to miss are Cucchiaio d'oro (excellent bargain and the only place I really found local vegetable contorni - which can be sampled buffet-style), Tamburini (an amazing deli and wine bar near the Mercato Mezzo and not far from Piazza Maggiore - ideal for lunch), and the spectacular Drogheria della Rosa (exceptional pastas, and the house specialty, a filet mignon cooked in balsamic).

Reviewed 17 May 2012

I read the reviews before booking this hotel and the majority o people were giving good reviews so I booked this hotel.
My experience were completely different from those people.....
My room was small (I mean really small - no place for you to put your luggage properly) and it was clean (this was the good thing about the hotel - I cannot fault the cleanliness) but the room got a glass door to a large patio but the patio is not private they tried to divide with some fence but you can see other people and people usually go there to smoke and Bologna been so hot you need to leave the door to the balcony open so all the smoke comes into your room.
Another thing it wasn't quiet like people were describing here... I could hear other people in their rooms and I could also hear people flushing their toilets!! Not what I want to hear really.
The staff at reception was good apart from one guy. He is unable to do multitasking and if he is busy doing something there he will keep you waiting without saying anything not even "I will be with you in a second". You just stand there waiting until he eventually acknowledges you.
Wi-Fi was something strange.... It works sometimes but others you can't make it work. I couldn't connect sometimes on my phone or ipad but it did work fine on all other places that I've been to. I contact reception and the girl there (one of the helpful ones) tried to help and reset everything.
Location was ok for me. I wanted to be near the station as I was doing some day trips to Florence and San Marino and it was easy to get into the city centre.
The pizzeria across the street from the hotel does a good pizza and is really cheap.
Bologna is a nice place and I travel to Italy every year but when I come back to Bologna I won't be staying at this place.

1  Thank decosp