“Good location and only worthy if you pay a max of 100 eur per night”

Hotel Internazionale
Ranked #27 of 103 Hotels in Bologna
Luxembourg
“Good location and only worthy if you pay a max of 100 eur per night”
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Hotels in Italy are almost more a miss than a hit, and the Hotel Internazionale floats a bit in between. We booked for two nights for a short break in Bologna for a rather good fare, knowing hotels in Italy are always on the expensive side.
When checking in at the reception, we were met with nearly complete indifference, but at least the whole check-in was done in little minutes. We had room 101, which could be summarised as follows/
Huge room; with high ceilings, but a miniscule bathroom
Huge new LCD TV, but with only Italian channels
Huge King bed, made up of two smaller bed
Hotel and room are rather old, and rooms may need a repainting or refurbishing, but we had a good night sleep, bed is comfortable and hotel is very well insulated against street noice (our room faced the street).

Redeeming factor of the hotel is the breakfast: for being Italy, very large choice of just about everything and very kind staff.

One tip for travellers: do not take a taxi to the hotel, and especially not arranged by the hotel (prices you pay do not correspond with what the hotel arranged for you), just take the Aerobus from the airport which either drops you at the railway station (2 minutes walk to hotel) or on top of the avenue (5 minutes walk), for EUR 5 each.

We would only recommend this hotel if you have a great rate, anything more than EUR 100 a night would be a rip-off.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed 5 April 2010

This is not going to be easy but I will be as factual as I can.
First the good things. The breakfast is amazing and one of the best I have enjoyed anywhere. There are suberb Italian hams and cheeses, egg and bacon, breads and pastries, cereals, fruit and yoghurts and on top of all the superb Italian cakes. Lunch is not needed. The staff are efficient and helpful and the location right in the heart of the city could not be better.
Now for the downside. Our room was on the small side, it was hot (this was a warm March) and I shudder to think what it would have been like in July with the useless air-conditioning (and it is). I know this is a city centre but the rooms that face the street are noisy and the traffic noise goes on late and starts early. You may find sleep difficult. Then there was the mysterious case of the vanishing wallet. I normally wore the wallet around my neck and I know I left in our room when we went out as I thought it would be safer there. We left at about 9.30 pm. The room was locked and there was a "do not disturb" sign on the door. When we returned about 2 hours later a bag of information for me had been left on our table and the wallet with 200 euros and my debit card was not in the room. We noticed the loss the next morning and informed the front desk staff and found out that someone had been to our room at 10.46 - persumablly the delivery of the bag. We never found any trace of the wallet although we looked everywhere. The staff seemed surprised and the manager excused us one night of the bill but the loss spoilt our stay in Bologna. I hasten to add that I have travelled in China, Mexico and in many parts of Europe but this has never happened to me before. We did not inform the police on the advice of a friend who has lived in Italy for several years and told us that we would waste the day waiting and fail to achieve anything.

The Hotel reminds me of a London hotel with Italian touches. The decor is English/American with fitted carpets and no shutters and not really suitable for hot summers. There are frescoes on the stairs as if someone has tried to make the place look more Italian. Overall it is not a bad place to stay but I would recommend asking for a room facing the courtyard and locking all your valuables in the safe.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Speakasifind
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 March 2010

My wife and I stay here 5th to 7th March 2010, based on reviews from Tripadvisor, as usual. The hotel was fantastic, huge room, huge bathroom, absolutely fabulous breakfast served till 11 am, staff very friendly and always someone who spoke English. The food in Bologna is the best in the world, each restaurnant just gets better, the Irish bars are great also, and even have smoking sections, nice one! This is not a tourist resort, it is a university town. Food, drink and shopping is all very reasonable. Highly recommend for a gourmet weekend away.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HugeDublin_Ireland
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Great location on the Via Indipendenza, easy walking distance to the Piazza Maggiore and the rest of the city. Lovely clean rooms, good spread at breakfast, very friendly breakfast staff, all round good value location in Bologna.
My one gripe is that the staff on reception at check in could have been a little bit more on the ball, they got the room requirement mixed up but resolved it. They also overcharged by 22Euros on check out but have since resolved this too. Despite these errors I'd still recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank fiontra
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I had a very relaxing stay at the Hotel Internazionale and can't find too many things to fault.

We were in Room 205, which I believe is a larger room. It was very clean and roomy. The beds were also exceptionally comfortable - very firm. The room did not face the street, and was therefore very quiet.

Breakfast was also good - I was surprised that they offered cooked items, rather than the standard continental breakfast.

Location was very good - close enough to the station, but also to the historic town.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to others visiting Bologna.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank anchmer
Hollywood
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Large, clean hotel a good 5-10 minute walk from main train station, in a safe city. Great location on main street in town. Generally good and friendly staff.
Pay-per-hour wifi, no free internet. No known cheap internet around (no Starbucks or internet cafe in sight). Hotel worker said there is free wifi on occassion that you can "borrow" if you find it.
We were given a very large room with 2 twin beds, and a 3rd fold out. Beds were comfy, and pillows were firm and good size, not like others in Europe. Large bathroom with toiletries and shower/tub, bidet. In-room safe. Pay minibar, good AC, heating, desk, a few 220V outlets, large flat TV with ~35 channels, mostly Italian, but NO English.
Free buffet breakfast is very good with cereals, breads, pastries, spreads, some preserves, deli meats, cheeses, yogurts, boiled & scrambled eggs, sausage & bacon, various coffees & teas & juices.
The bath slippers fit up to maybe size 11 USA, but still a nice touch.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family