“Friendly hotel, but too far from the centre”

Astoria Hotel Bologna
Ranked #88 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed 9 November 2011

The Hotel Astoria was a little too far out of centre for my taste. It's a very quiet neighbourhoud, but I would have preferred a shorter walk. Luckily the hotel had a bike that I could rent. The staff is very friendly, and breakfast is adequate, but the room smelled of cigarette smoke and the bathroom was very small. It was ok for a couple of nights, but if I had known I would have looked for something a little more in the city centre.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Gwen F
There are newer reviews for Astoria Hotel Bologna

Reviewed 4 October 2011

We ended up here because our B&B was a no show and the other recommended hotel was full. The carpet was filthy and smelled and the decor was dark and dreary. The bathroom was spotless, though. The staff was helpful, since our A/C didn't seem to work, we inquired and it needed to be turned on by them. Breakfast was nice. We were very close to the train station, which is what we wanted, but wished we had a Guida Rossa for other suggestions.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2011

we wouldn't stay if we didn't have to. very poor standard. shower is disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2011

This hotel is way too far, about 1.5 kilometers, from the main piazza and if you want to see the sights it is better to stay near the Duomo/piazza where there are excellent cheap hotels. While they are further from the railway station, a taxi to the station is only a few euros. As for this hotel, my room had cigarette ash on the window sill, which meant it had not been cleaned properly and had been let to a smoker, the bedcover had cigarette burns on both sides, and the room smelled of cigarette smoke forcing me to air it with both window and door open. It was a heart-breaking introduction to Bologna (a fabulous city).

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2011

I recommend this hotel to people who need a nice and clean hotel for a good price. There is free Wi-Fi, there's a private car park for an additional € 12 and the receptionist is very helpful. It's not bang in the city centre but close enough to walk (20-25mins). There are lots of restaurants nearby on Via Augusto Righi and as someone else pointed out you may appreciate a little walk anyway to digest all the nice food in Bologna. I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Near central station and not far from city centre!
  • Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 27 September 2010

My first impressions of this awful hotel was long grass, weeds and dirt outside the entrance-looked like it had not been swept for weeks.
We would not have gone in had we not booked in the train station in Florence and paid in advance. (never again). We had asked for a double but were offered a twin on arrival. After some discussion with an unfriendly receptionist we were sent to look at a double at the back of the hotel, again this looked dirty and unswept. The room smelled of smoke so back we went with our luggage and were sent to see a twin room at the top of the building with three beds squashed into it. Again we pulled our luggage back to the unfriendly receptionist and asked for a refund. A nicer gentleman interviened and took us to see a double room next to the first one. Not so good but we decided to take it as it was getting late and we needed to get dinner. The bed was comfortable but the rest of the furniture looked like it was from a second hand shop or what you might expect from a bad hostel. The next morning we got out of there as quickly as possible without breakfast as we didnt want to know what the dinning room was like. The website we were show when booking was very different from what we saw on arrival. I would not recommend staying near the train station as the smell of urine on the streets was unbelivable and not very nice to be pulling luggage on. The old part of Bologna was lovely and we had a great night there

Pauline-Ireland September 2010

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2009

Stayed in Bologna to take short day trips to nearby towns so wanted to be close to train. It was bittersweet, as the hotel is 2 blocks from the station but is at least a 20 min walk from Bologna's historic center. This hotel was a great value though, especially for a single traveller. The lady receptionist was extremely friendly and helpful, particularly as she is a local. She really made my stay there a good one! I happened to be in town for Bologna's jazz festival and was able to catch a couple shows- even though I had to walk pretty far (I could have taken the bus back but preferred not to wait). To be clear, there are buses nearby that head to the historic center and I took them a couple times but I prefer to walk and wander. The hotel is located in a somewhat deserted area but it's safe and not seedy (mind you I live in NYC). My single bed room was clean, 3rd floor with elevator, on street side with great light coming in the window but no noise. The bed was fine, plenty of room for my clothes, with mini fridge. Free breakfast buffet was sufficient, but less fresh than comparable Italian hotels in which I stayed. My stay was pleasant, it was all I needed. Also they have free bicycle rentals and an outdoor area, although it was too cold/rainy to enjoy these great bonuses.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo