“Very well located but service lacklustre and breakfast poor”
Review of Zanhotel Regina

Zanhotel Regina
Ranked #90 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I was in Bologna for one night only on my way back from a holiday in Tuscany - could not get a flight from Pisa. So I had little time to explore the city and this hotel was perfect in that respect - the main square is 5 mins walk up the street. Other than that however there was little to recommend it - it is dated, smelled of cigarette smoke, my room was very small, reception was disinterested, breakfast was tinned fruit and stale rolls and you have to pay for internet access on their ancient PC, which I did whilst getting eaten by mosquitoes. I would not have chosen it in fact, but for the fact that it was the last remaining hotel room in the city according to hotels.com, who had to find me an alternative when I was double booked at Porta San Mamolo. I wonder if there was a conference on. My room rate seemed expensive, although I don't know if that was because demand had increased prices. On the plus side (quite limited) my room was extremely clean and the bed comfortable. I got a good night's sleep, although I could hear a lot of bathroom noises from next door at night and in the morning. Bologna by the way is a really lovely small city. I would definitely visit again but I would not stay here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 September 2011

Probably the worst hotel I have stayed in! For the price they charge for a night's stay I was shocked.... The room, although of a reasonable size (I had what they call a superior double)was dirty, with bits all over the carpet and mold in the bathroom - which was small and very dated. The furniture was falling apart and I couldn't open many of the drawers or close the wardrobe's sliding door. The air con did not work and you only got one pillow each - not a recipe for a good night sleep. There were no tea or coffee facilities in the room and when I requested an iron at 4.30 pm I was informed by the less than helpful reception staff that they didn't have any for guests. Apparently they had an ironing service (at additional cost) but as the housekeeper had gone home it was not longer available that day. Breakfast was poor with a limited choice of stale pastries and tinned fruit, alongside some cheese and ham and bread (again a bit on the stale side). 5* prices for a 2* (if that) service. The location wasn't too bad, although it would have been much cheaper to stay further out and taxi it in every day!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2011

The hotel was lovely and our room was very very large. The room was clean and the breakfast was quite generous by continental standards (although the room itself is a little bit dull). The only thing that left something to be desired was the reception staff who were somewhat unhelpful. The lifts were also a little bit small and took a while to arrive.

The hotel is just a short distance away from the buzzing piazza maggiore.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank aramblingnomad
Reviewed 12 August 2011

My initial reaction when entering my room was, I really not sure about this place. Room felt tired and in need of modernisation, however the room was clean and the bed comfortable. Then after a very good comfortable nights sleep, I started to see things a little differently and what was tired the night before I began to see it as character. Anyway, a well locate hotel to the city centre and the amenities, airport shuttle bus stop 100 meters up the road and rail station not to far. I found it to be good value and the staff were pleasant and helpful. Would I stay here again if in Bologna, yes I probably would, but I still think a bit of updating would swing it even more from probable to definitely.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Just back from a stay at Zanhotel Regina. I booked a double superior room (room 362). The room was what you would expect from a 3 star hotel. The room was not the biggest but enough room for a double bed which was very comfy and wardrobe, desk etc. The bathroom didnt have a bath but a shower instead which was no problem for me, but my girlfriend was a bit disappointed. The room was very clean and towels were changed daily. Room came with a tv which didnt have any English channels but MTV and other channels at times have English programmes on. The air conditioning didnt work in our room but opening the window which looked out onto the main street helped. Even when the road outside was very busy you could hear nothing with the window shut which was great.

The breakfast was good, continental. Yoghurt, fruit, cereal and pastries (which were great) etc. The location of the hotel is fantastic. On the main road i would say of Bologna and a 10 minute walk to the centre passing lots of shops. 10 minutes walk in the opposite direction is the bus station. There are also lots of shops and restaurants in the near vasinity of the hotel. Another great point about the hotel is that a taxi rank is right outside. On both journeys to and from the airport we got a taxi costing 15 Euros. I believe a bus is around 5 Euros per person. Another plus point is that the train station is next to the bus station, so easily accessable for trips to Florence etc.

Overall thoughts on the hotel are really good, glad i booked a superior room though as was told that standard rooms are smaller!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I have never been to Bologna before and found this hotel on a few sites - I would recommend it to anyone! The staff were lovely, very helpful and very welcoming. The hotel is located on the Via Independanza which is central to everywhere and only a short walk from the main station. The hotel is perfect for sightseeing, shopping, dining out in a beautiful city. The breakfast is lovely, although I was under the impression from my booking (not through the hotel though) that it was a cooked breakfast but it was not, but there was plenty of choice and I did not see anyone go hungry!
The rooms were just the right size, the mini-bar was not a rip off for a bottle of water in the middle of the night, the bathroom was spotless as was the room - the temperature control took a bit of working out but once sussed it was fine.
This hotel I would definately book again!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2010

This hotel was recommended to us by freinds who stayed earlier in the year and we were not disappointed. Really good value, excellent location with a short walk to train station and all major attractions. Lots of bars and restaurants close by and really helpful staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple