“Charming hotel and great customer service”
Review of Hotel Roma

Hotel Roma
Ranked #56 of 104 Hotels in Bologna
London
“Charming hotel and great customer service”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Excellent location, a stone's throw from the city centre and restaurants/bars and a charming, atmospheric hotel. More than that though, the service was excellent. I arrived to discover that my reservation made through Expedia had been cancelled by Expedia without my knowledge. There was a trade fair taking place so all the standard rooms were full but the hotel very kindly offered me a remaining suite at a very discounted rate which was very generous and most welcome as other hotels would also have been full because of the trade show. Great customer service, thank you Hotel Roma!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bedfordangel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Greek first
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We enjoyed our time here. Rooms are nicely furnished, a little old fashioned but the hotel has character. The breakfast was nice and the waiting staff very efficient. Hot food cooked to order on top of the small but ample breakfast buffet. Superb location. The wi fi was a bit hit and miss. It didnt work at all in our first room so the reception changed our room for us. It worked sometimes there but worked perfectly 3 metres away in the corridor, where there was a very comfy sofa.

Room Tip: Rooms are fine but not all have good wi fi.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paulgarynixon
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Hotel Roma is definitely an old-scool european hotel. I found it mostly charming, but if you like the familiar sameness of a Marriott wherever you go, this is not for you.

The location is unquestionably amazing, just a few feet from Piazza Maggiore. And I was never bothered by any sound, except early one evening when I had my windows open and could hear some terrible street musicians. There's free wifi, though you have to ask the front desk for a new login every time you use up 6 hours (If you're on vacation, this probably isn't a problem, but I was working so it was kind of annoying). Water pressure is great and everything seemed nice and clean. The A/C worked great, even when it got up to 100 F.

Okay, here's the stuff I found charming that you might take or leave. They have an old-school hand shower. I think this is the most civilized of bathing options, but it can be tricky for beginners. Luckily, it's outfitted with an adjustable holder to turn it into an american shower.

The single room is literally a single bed, like you probably haven't slept on since college. It was comfortable enough, I had no trouble sleeping. Breakfast is included and runs until a very comfortable 10:30 and it's super continental - ham, cheese, breads & pastries, yogurt, meuslix and some fruit. Plus, they will cook eggs to order if you like. I left every morning totally satisfied, but it may be off-putting to some.

The staff was mostly incredibly helpful and friendly. There was one guy who made me feel like he was saying "whatever" in his head every time he answered something, but he was never outright rude and always took care of everything.

Now for the unmistakably bad. The cold water often smelled of sulfur, like it was coming from a mineral spring, which is fine if you've gone to the baths to "take the waters," but not how I wanted to smell fresh out of the shower. The cold water also didn't particularly stay cold - it would be better described as "not actively heated" but sometimes it would suddenly run warm, like it had been sitting in the pipes, being warmed by the sun all day. And the bathroom in my room was long and narrow, so I felt like the sink counter was in my lap when I was using the bathroom & there was just a very tiny area to safely step out of the tub between the toilet and the counter.

There was no clock anywhere in the room and the TV didn't work (though in fairness, I never reported it because after the first day I never thought to watch it).

I don't know how much it cost, as my hosts reserved it. Assuming it's a decent price, I'd see no reason not to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank nyuszi
Reggio Emilia, Italy
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Hotel Roma is like an old lady, it has some wrinkles but is is still charming and it is ideal to visit the city. My room was not very big but clean and with all I needed, the bathroom huge and well equipped. Staff are competent and helpful. Breakfast good standard. If you want to enjoy Bologna, this is the perfect place where to base. Highly reccomended even if you drive because it has a good garage service for only 16 euros a day.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 21 September 2013

The location of the hotel is absolutely awesome - at the real centre of the old town. Righ aside the main square Maggiore. I also could say the prices ae good. The breakfast is also fresh and nice - you could ask for eggs and fresh orange juce. It is a 3 star hotel, but you could feel your stay luxurious.

Room Tip: the transfer from and to the airport is double price. You could easily call the taxi
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ina074
Rome
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The only good thing about this Hotel is the location, other than that would not recommend staying here. Rooms are old: ours only had a hand-held shower head with no way to place on the wall, blow-dryer was broken, beds were uncomfortable, and furniture looked like it hadn't been replaced since 1960s. Another couple traveling with us had to wait for their room to "be ready" even though we all checked in during the afternoon. One of the cleaning ladies also decided to come into our room at 8:00am. Take your money and go to one of the other hotels nearby.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YaByaW

Travellers are raving about these Bologna hotels

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 16 January 2013

we had a nice stay at the hotel october 2012. We had left the car keys for our BMW 5 at the reception. On leaving we learned that our left fender was scratched. We told the reception. Somebody took photos and assured us that their assurance would cover. One month later we contacted the management as the insurance had not contacted us. We were told that Italian companies were slow to respond. Actually neither hotel nor insurance recontacted us. This more than tripled the price of our stay. We advise not to choose this hotel if you have a bigger car.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple