“Best Excursion in Bologna”

Il Salotto di Penelope
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a cookign scool and we offer every day classes for people who are interested in Bolognes and Italian food tradition.
Carlsbad, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Best Excursion in Bologna”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

- If you come to Bologna, then I would say it is mandatory to try a pasta cooking school. You will then enjoy the homemade pasta, even better at the local restaurants. You will also savor the view of fresh pasta at all the food stores in the alleys, near the central square called Piazza Maggiore. This experience would be our best memory of this city for a party of 5 and maybe of our whole Northern Italy trip.

- Barbara and Valerie did a great job of team teaching and showed a lot of patience for us neophytes. They do hold courses for professionals including a pizza making class with an invited instructor. Their English is also remarkable. Rolling and stretching pasta is a challenge for non-chefs. They are quite funny together and you have to be cognizant of their jokes.

-Their place is a converted industrial/residential condo with a great professional kitchen and pasta rolling area. I also wanted to avoid a factory full of tourists. More than enough space for a party of 5-6 plus instructors. Maybe a few more people can be accommodated. We lucked out and had a private instructional day for only our group of 5. Lots of stainless steel appliances plus a nice intimate dining area. It is set back from the main road about 300 meters and easy to reach by taxi.

-What a great business idea! There were over 20+ cooking schools in Bologna (chamber of commerce web site) and I had to narrow it down to just a select few. We could have chosen schools in Venice and Florence too. Their internet response and the professional kitchen helped with this choice. I specifically wanted to avoid a school in someone’s home for my own reasons. Their pricing was competitive (plus a 10% group discount) and the course did not occupy a whole day. Great internet response. Another school seemed too commercial and could accomodate 20-50 students at a time.

-I also wanted a simple menu to remember. Potato gnocchi, Tortolloni (parsley and ricotta) and Tagliatelle with Ragu is enough for several hours. This school was also flexible to accommodate our vegan request by two of our party and substituted zucchini for ground beef. The recipes were emailed to us right after the class, so we can reproduce our new talents back in California and have already done so. Good red wine, onion, celery, carrots and tomato paste (not puree), extra virgin olive oil were part of the secret recipe.

-I would return to this cooking school on my next visit to Bologna. Bologna is one of those cities where you return many times for the food and friendly people.

2 Thank altosax2011

• Hebrew first
Reno, Nevada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I had been looking for a cooking school in Bologna. We had not made reservations ahead of time. Our hotel told us about this school. They fit us in to a small class the next day. It was a great experience. Valerie and Barbara are knowledgable and fun. They kitchen was professional and meticulous. We went to the market with Valerie and made some wonderful dishes. I highly recommend this school for anyone who wants to learn.

1 Thank Linda C
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Way to Learn”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The class that we attended was fun! Barbara and Valeria put us to work after showing us the correct way to make our Italian feast! Couldn't think of a better way to spend a Sunday morning in Bologna. And a real personally made meal and wine to follow!

Sao Paulo, SP
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“We wanted to do it again and again!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We have done other cooking courses and this was by far the best one!
We were in a small group (9 people) from different parts of the world, so Valeria and Barbara (the chefs) did the class in english. I don't cook at all, and I could understand everything perfectly and cook everything too. Everybody had the chance to cook all the dishes.
The thing I most liked was that Valeria and Barbara explained "the reasons why" we cook in certain ways, and what is typical in the region and how do we do it.
I definitely recommend this course!

1 Thank Betaalecrim
Geneva, Switzerland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fantastic cooking experience”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife, my two children and I just enjoyed a very nice and charming cooking lesson with Barbara and Valeria. They were very educative, fun and flexible when organizing the session. They showed us many basic tricks to master the Italian cuisine and were very flexible with the children. Needless to say, the dishes were very tasty and (unbelievable for a cooking novice like me) easy to do. I will recommend it to all my friends visiting this wonderful region.