“Friendly independent hotel with a good location”
Review of Hotel Touring

Hotel Touring
Ranked #6 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed 4 June 2011

We stayed here for a City break in Bologna and cannot rate it highly enough. On our arrival we were greeted by friendly staff, upgraded to a suite on the fourth floor and, since we were early, offered refreshments in the pretty courtyard while we waited for our room to be made ready.

The 'Diamond Suite' had everything we needed to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. We had the benefit of a private balcony with wonderful views over the rooftops to the hills beyond. The hotel was conveniently located in a quiet side street, a short walk from the Piazza Maggiore and local bars and restaurants.

The staff were always helpful and friendly and ready to offer advice or to answer any queries that we had about Bologna. We particularly liked Lucy, the resident dog whose comical behaviour made us laugh when she escaped from the private quarters and we got to meet her.

We will definitely be returning to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Stayed 3 nts. midweek to end our vacation in Italy. Our room was on main level making it a very busy area to walk to breakfast room, elevator right outside of our door and a common seating area right outside our windows.. Needless to say it was exteremely noisey all the time. If you opened the bathroom window for some air you heard people talking and laughing from the building next door. Couldn't keep the main room windows open as people were constantly going by at all hours and since it's main level it was a huge security risk anyone could crawl right into the room! The room was a handicap accessible room which I diddn't request so not sure why I got it. The bath had a tub with no water spout only a hand held hose attachment so if you wanted to take a bath you had to unscrew the shower head from hose to fill tub, really a pain. The shower was separate with hand rails that got in the way since we did not need them and the shower flooded the floor since there wasn't much of a drainage pan, another pain requiring using towels to wipeup water after each use.
This hotel is NOWHERE near the train station. It was a 7-9euro taxi ride each way and if you think about dragging luggage around you will regret it. Just to get off the bus at the Piazza Maggiore is a time consuming and confusing walk to get to the hotel. We ended taking a taxi from Piazza Mag. and it was a blesssing, we would never have made it, not alone found it dragging along our luggage. This hotel is located on a very little 1 way side street not easily found. Also we had to pay 30 euros to the hotel for a 3:30am private car to airport for our 6am flight. We requested a taxi but the hotel has a deal with a private car service so that's what we ended up with. I used the internet once to print out train ticket documents but when the spouse tried to use internet he was told it was not free I think he was told it was 5 euro for 1/2 hr. It was a pain to use, they need to give you a password that didn't work the 1st 3 times I tried so the man working the night shift had to help me which he did very reluctantly. When we were by reception desked I did overhear a new customer being told she had been given an upgraded room which made me feel like 2nd class .Went up to the terrace for some quiet time but they were having some sort of cocktail hour for select people so we sat in a corner and watched as they enjoyed drinks, snacks and socialized. We did enjoy a bottle of Gatorade while taking in the view.There is a hot tub up there but it was lockedup tight and there is a fee for that too. There is a little grocery store about 2 blocks away for drinks and such which came in handy as sodas, ice tea are really expensive compared to wine.
Wish I had picked a different hotel for our last 3 nights in Italy even though the view was nice.

3  Thank IndianaJacquelyn
Reviewed 29 May 2011

This hotel is in a great location for the restaurants and glamorous shopping. We enjoyed the rooftop terrance, overlooking the city with a bottle of wine. Staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were a little dated, however very neat and tidy.

1  Thank NellyD_80
Reviewed 27 May 2011

A lovely hotel in a perfect location for exploring Bologna. A short walk into the main square and excellent bus service nearby to the train station etc. There was a small supermarket close by which was handy for buying bottled water etc. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed a lovely meal in the roof terrace which has amazing views of Bologna. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Mumstoursrus
Reviewed 20 May 2011

This was my third stay at the Hotel Touring, and I feel like each time gets better. In the past, I have stayed for several weeks at a time, as Bologna makes an incredible "jumping off point' for so many other parts of Italy including Verona, Venice, and Florence -with the train takingabout an hour in all directions. What is striking about the Hotel Touring is the warmth in which you are treated and received. The time you spend there, you will feel like family. This may include setting up a bottle of wine for you on their 5th floor rooftop terrace or WALKING YOU to your hidden gem of a restaurant for dinner. While there is an intimate "feel," the hotel has everything you need: TV, nice bathroom, elevator, breakfast, and wireless internet. There are some great restaurants within 5-7 slow walk of the hotel, and a mom and pop pizza shop about 1 minute away. The hotel is in a very pretty and quite area of the city as well. Very quite at night. NOTE: So many of the reviews on Trip Advisor aren't real these days. Just look at the language used. This is a real review, and a real recommendation from a disinterested party of a great hotel.

2  Thank Italy_via_LA
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Close to center of town. We got upgraded to a gold room (#440) and were thrilled with it. Completely renovated in the last year, with a large balcony. Overall décor is kind of art deco. They told me ‘standard’ rooms had not been renovated as recently. They had good Internet connection included in the price, and good breakfast buffet.. They have very limited parking available in the hotel, make sure to reserve ahead if you need it.

Room Tip: Rooms on the small street are quiet.
1  Thank LCB108
Reviewed 18 May 2011

As a solo traveler, I paid extra for a standard twin/double, rather than a single room, to avoid ending up in some small corner room with a single bed and getting, instead, a double room with some space.
However, I still got a small corner room albeit with a 'three-quarter' bed. When I queried this, I was told the bed was, in effect, the upgrade. I did ask to see the single room, if only to actually make some sense of what I'd paid extra for but this 'wasn't possible...'
I was told that there was a possibility of a move to a larger room on the last night of my stay when the hotel wasn't so busy - this offer never subsequently materialised.
I do feel that, if the category paid for is described as a 'standard twin/double room', it should be just that - if not, the description is, at best, inaccurate, at worst, dishonest.
Had the hotel been quieter, I don't doubt I'd have had the double room.
But this just makes it worse. The number of other guests is irrelevant. The hotel has taken money from me as a firm booking, not one subject to availability. Once they have accepted my booking, the double room should be guaranteed come what may.
The whole episode seems symptomatic of the hotel trade's view of the single/solo traveller as a lucrative irritation.
Anyroad, I've said enough - no doubt my fellow solo travellers will recognise the scenario.
One last thing - Bologna was still wonderful...

Room Tip: Don't go by yourself
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo