“Friendly Hotel in the Heart of Bologna”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Touring

Hotel Touring
Ranked #5 of 104 Hotels in Bologna
South Shields
“Friendly Hotel in the Heart of Bologna”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my husband in January for 3 nights. We selected it based on other reviews of the hotel and we were not disappointed at all. We had a good feeling about the hotel from the moment we booked, with my husband e-mailing the hotel directly to arrange the booking so as to ensure that we got the type of room we wanted (Gold room with a double bed). When we booked, they advised us that they could arrange transport from the airport to the hotel at a rate of €25 including luggage. As I was meeting my husband at the hotel and arriving a couple of hours in advance of him, I decided to go ahead and book this. Everything went smoothly, with the driver meeting me in the Arrivals hall.

At the hotel, I received a very warm welcome and instantly felt comfortable. The room was very pleasant, and a decent size based on other hotels I have stayed in when in Italy. Our room was situated at the back of the hotel, and had a balcony which looked out over the rooftops. Despite being located next to the lift, the room was quiet, and we had very comfortable sleeps.

Some reviews have complained about the breakfast, but I thought it was adequate. The continental buffet included different types of bread, croissants, cakes, cheese and fruit such as bananas and oranges. It may not have been as extensive as what you may be used in the hotel chains such as Hilton or IHG hotels, but this is a small, family run hotel, and there was ample choice for us.

Each night we asked the staff on reception to recommend a restaurant, which they did. We got a different recommendation from a different member of staff each night, who went on to make a reservation for us, and each one was superb. They were all within a reasonable walking distance, very friendly, and the food and wine in each place was excellent.

In terms of location, the hotel was well situated, with Piazza Maggiore only being a swift 5 minutes walk away (maybe 10 minutes if you have a leisurely stroll). However, despite this, the hotel itself was in a quiet location, giving you the best of both worlds.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and all of the staff at the hotel were very friendly and made you feel realy welcome. I would recommend this hotel to others and sincerely hope that we will return in the near future.

Room Tip: The Gold room was a little more expensive, but a good size with a balcony and seemed to have been re...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DebMG
HotelTouring, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Touring, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderful words, you catched the spirit of a family hotel.
The breakfast, in my humble opinion, is appropriate for a 3 stars Hotel.
We prepare hand made cake, desserts and we select high quality brioches and products.
(some is organic too).
We are thinking about serving bb on the patio...however I invite you to come over in summer.
Bologna is wonderful in spring!
Ciao
Matteo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

The location of the hotel is phenomenal, in a quiet area of the center of the city. Walking distance from S Petronio and the towers. The front desk staff was excellent. The girl was a good resource for suggestions and was very, very polite and prepared, and explained the premises of the hotel very well. During the summer this hotel would be perfect, having a spectacular rooftop. Check out the restaurant Osteria De' Poeti that she recommended.

Room was ok in appearance. Only thing, the mattress was not a queen size, but I believe they were 2 single size mattress,coupled. Not a big problem though, and you can upgrade the room if you desire. We had the basic one and we were very ok with that.

What really needs attention is housekeeping. I noticed my nose being clogged soon after entering, and having problems breathing during the night (I am particularly sensitive to dust)
The morning after we checked, and we found clots of dust present not only under the bed, but also besides the drawer, very visible. Same thing we noticed on the carpet outside the rooms.
Bahroom cleanliness was good, though.

good hotel, but the housekeeping staff must be reprimanded.

BTW, breakfast is very good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

The Hotel Touring is just an excellent place to stay for the money. The only reason I would suppose it isn't a 4 star hotel is that it doesn't have a restaurant on-site other than the breakfast area located on the lower level of the hotel. Everyone I encountered were just really nice and would help a guest to make sure there stay was a great one.
My room had all the comforts and was quite large. Free wi-fi worked well in the room and I didn't hear a soul from any other room. Location is within easy walking distance to most of the sights and located on a quiet street. If traveling by train though I would recommend taking a taxi unless traveling light, as it is quite a walk to the hotel. If traveling by car, as I was, they have discounted parking available for 9 euros on the street. If you want your car parked in their private garage, you should book when booking the room.
The rooftop area is nice and since I was there in winter didn't use, but in Spring, Summer, Fall, it certainly looks to be a great place to relax and have nice views of Bologna and the surrounding area. this is one place that the pictures on their web site are correct!
Definitely should be near the top of your list when looking for accommodations in Bologna.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
HotelTouring, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Touring, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you so much to appreciate our job! So...see you soon!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

staying in Touring hotel Bologna for a weekly business trip was absolutely a lovely experience. The hotel boasts an excellent location in a quiet corner of the city centre, with all restaurants and shops at easy reach. I love the style of this small family run hotel as well as of my room`s which was spacious and extremely comfortable. What I was most impressed of, was actually the people working in there: professional and friendly at the same time, passionate of being a perfect host . I would like to recommend this hotel for those ones seeking personalized service effectively delivered in a lovely and cozy atmosphere. Don`t miss the hotel terrace!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

The hotel was beautifully situated in a small cobbled side street within easy reach of the city centre's main attractions and restaurants. The room was small but comfortable, the breakfasts of high quality and the service excellent. Highly recommended both for business travellers and those seeking a short break.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Douglas,
your words are so important to us! tks you so much for appreciate our hotel and job.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

We came to Bologna so my husband could visit the Ferrari & Lamborghini factories and fell in love with Bologna. This hotel was perfectly situated to explore the city. Elena (spelling?) made wonderful restaurant recommendations that gave us a true Bolognese culinary experience. Their service was terrific and the accommodations were very nice! Great breakfast as well.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

As a senior couple traveling with a lady friend (she stayed at the hotel only one week), we found the Touring Hotel very adequate. Her room was extremely nice and spacious, with a wonderful balcony (admittedly best during spring or summer), ours quite comfortable, even if the furniture was lacking in drawers. As we were saying in Bologna for two weeks, this was a slight inconvenience. The hotel is marvelously located, in a very quiet street, but it is strategically placed, with all the tourist destinations - market, main shops, museums, monuments and churches - within short walking distance. Everything seems to be just a few minutes away. If I got up in the morning with a little extra time before my wife or our friend were ready, I could walk for two minutes and refresh my eyes with the great paintings at nearby San Domenico. The hotel is also wonderfully located if restaurants are your main interest, and the cheerful, very nice staff are ready at all time to get you reservations and give you advice. The people working at the hotel give you a warm, family feeling, remaining politely discreet unless you need their intervention: then, they are always efficient in their help. The rooms seem to be extremely clean; there was a smell in our bathroom, which promptly disappeared after we mentioned it. Breakfast was served by two very kind and efficient staff members, who were also very friendly and jovial. The choice of breakfast food was very wide, and a previous complain by a guest who missed fresh fruit seemed to have been answered to. Everything was fresh and plentiful, and the staff were always ready to supply you with the extra espresso or cappuccino. A great place and a great find.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends