“Great location, good choice in Bologna” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel San Donato

BEST WESTERN Hotel San Donato
Ranked #46 of 104 Hotels in Bologna
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great location, good choice in Bologna”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Hotel San Donato is beautifully located at the edge of the university area and within a short walk from almost everything you will want to see and do in Bologna. The desk staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was nice, and the breakfast buffet was excellent (including scrambled eggs, sausages and bacon among other hot items in addition to the usual continental fare). It's a bit of a hike from the train station at Bologna Centrale and, until you get your bearings, it's easy to get lost in Bologna's medieval streets. But the hotel is only a short block from the Two Towers (great view of them from the bar in the hotel) and that landmark is well marked on every map. There is a café/bar in the square in front of the hotel, which gets noisy at night (the in-room amenities included a pair of ear plugs!), but my room was in the back of the hotel so this wasn't a problem at all for me. All in all, a nice hotel and a great value.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the square in front of the hotel will be noisy at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We found this hotel by accident and so glad we did. This hotel is centrally located to all the sites in Bologna. It has parking which is great because you really don't want to drive in that city unless you have to. The staff was very professional and helpful in answering all our questions.
The room was large with a fire place. We had a view of the city.
The bed was very comfortable affording a good nights sleep. Breakfast is also included.
I really do recommend this place.

dundee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Upon arrival we were told that our reservation had been cancelled. I had confirmation from Expedia which said the bill was to be paid in local currency on leaving the hotel. The receptionist said it had it had to be prepaid and as my card number was refused the reservation was cancelled.The hotel had a booking not from Expedia but Venere.com?? After phoning Expedia we managed to get it sorted out. Not the best of starts to a holiday. I notice in a previous review someone else has had a similar experience a this hotel. Something to bear in mind when booking.Having said that the hotel is in a great location,staff especially the waitresses at breakfast are very friendly and it is very clean. We thought Bologna would be a good base for visiting Florence and Venice and some other cities but it wasnt as easy as we thought it would be. The train prices seemed to be crazy 40 euros to go to Venice,two hours away, and 100 euros to go to Florence,35 mins away. The buses didnt seem to be very good either.There were places we wanted to visit 20 mins away and we couldnt get a bus

Philpsburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Spent time at the San Donato for the second time in three years. Not much gas changed, still a great location with helpful and courteous staff. Their breakfast is exceptional. This time I inquired and used the parking within the courtyard of the hotel. Had an outside room that honestly is a little noisy due to the students and pedestrians. The views from the terrace are spectacular, free wi-fi, too.

Room Tip: Now that I know, ask for courtyard side rooms.
Medford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Spectacular hotel, almost 5 stars from me if it weren't for weird noisy occupants upstairs:
The hotel is beautiful, especially the upstairs lounge and breakfast patio areas. The breakfast patio has excellent views of the 2 leaning towers, and the breakfast was the best buffet (and great cappuccino) I've had in my many travels in Europe. The only complaint, which I don't really blame the hotel directly for (other than the building's lack of sound transmission resistance) was that on our 2nd or 3rd night of a 4 night stay it sounded like the upstairs occupants were moving furniture around the room for hours on end, late into the night. At one point I went upstairs to see if there was a gym above us, but it was just another room. I have no idea what was going on in there. We had requested a room facing an interior courtyard rather than out onto the student-filled street, and they obliged without any reminder at check-in. The courtyard itself was quiet.

Room Tip: I imagine rooms facing the street would be very noisy, but not sure how insulated their windows are...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Stayed 5 nights in first half of September. Room not large but adequate, good bathroom although lav seat needed fixing. Comfortable bed, and nice balcony but without furniture. The roof terrace is very spacious with tables, and drinks can be taken up there from the bar. Breakfast excellent, with charming staff, but they don't do dinner. Authorised taxi from the airport cost about 15 euros; however, we asked reception to book a taxi for us to return to airport, and it turned out to be a 'private hire' taxi who, when we got there, insisted on charging us 22 euros. Best just pick one up when needed. I mentioned this in feedback but no response. Some 'arrangement' possibly. Anyway, reception otherwise helpful, whole place very clean, brilliant location, and surprisingly quiet except for the lovely ringing of bells all around at 6pm daily - we made an effort to be on the rooftop for this. If we return to Bologna, this is where we'll stay again.

Room Tip: High rooms may be better.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jacqueline P
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I arrived at the hotel after a 75 hour journey... The city was fully booked for an important trade show. I was tired and hungry.
NO Reservation for you, the woman at the desk told me using the worst possible tone and manner.
Hotels.com made a mistake and informed me that I should pay at the hotel in the local currency. But the reservation was supposed to be prepaid and that is the information the hotel received from one of Hotels.com partners.
Twice Hotels.com sent me confirmations to pay at the hotel either at checking our checkout.
I called Hotels.com and they told me that some hotels prefer to be paid in their currency and that I should not worry.
So I used my credit card for the plane trip and other travel expenses and prepared to pay with an international credit card at the Hotel.
Well, a few days before I arrived the Hotel tried to charge the card, but I had already used most of my balance. The Hotel Best Western San Donato did not inform me that they could not charge my card, Hotels.com not only did not informed me but instead told me again not to worry and pay at the hotel at checking OR CHECKOUT.
I understand situations like this, they made a mistake, but they blamed it all on me, THE CLIENT, and in the rudest, most brute and crudest manner they could do it. Both the woman at the front desk and the man in India, the Philippines or Pakistan from Hotels.com from whom I tried to get some help on my first call. Particularly the woman at the front desk, what on ogre. I had never seen such tyrannical behavior from somebody who is supposed to be in THE SERVICE INDUSTRY...
The horrible woman at the desk even pushed the cancellation papers up to my face... They did not even bother to verify why there was a mistake even though I showed them all the emails from Hotels.com showing that it said "Don't worry, all it's taken care off, you should pay at the hotel...". They people said they had NOTHING to do with Hotels.com and they were not going to honor my reservation no matter what.
Why couldn't they just said... "Sorry, we made a mistake. We could not charge your card and we did not notice you were given instructions to pay at the hotel... Please let us try to help and find you another decent accommodation".... Of course not... I was treated like a bandit.
It was really HORRIBLE. I really find it appalling how a company like Hotels.com permit such behavior from the managers and personnel at the Hotels like the Best Western SAN DONATO in Bologna. To not even try and solve the problem, to try and understand and honor and accept the mistake and find a solution.
Finally the manager of the hotel, who also treated me badly and I had to many times tell him not to scream at me, found me a room for one night at a hotel nearby. Of course this was a terrible, smelly room at an exorbitant price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business