“Good hotel, disappointing wine”

Best Western Hotel San Donato
Ranked #45 of 103 Hotels in Bologna
Galway, Ireland
“Good hotel, disappointing wine”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This hotel is good in many ways. First of all it could not be more central. Great bars and restaurants in the area. Receptionist was very friendly and helpful. My single room was very small and bad value for €93 for one night. Breakfast was very good and great variety. I could not believe that in Bologna, Italy the hotel did not have decent wines by the glass. You had to buy a bottle if you wanted something decent.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I stayed two nights at this hotel and it was perfect for my quick trip in Bologna. I was in Bologna on vacation and wanted to see the historic sights. This hotel is located right in the center of historic Bologna and everything I wanted to see was within walking distance.

I was treated nice by the staff upon check in. The room was pre-paid, so all I had to do was leave my passport at the desk and I was given a key to my room. After dropping off my bags in the room, I went back to lobby and the woman was finished with my check in and gave my back my passport. I got a map of the city and also my log in code for the free WiFi.

You get a real key for your room, not a card key, and they want you to leave it as the front desk when you leave and pick it up when you come back. I was traveling with my brother and sister and we had three room total. The lady at the desk very quickly memorized what rooms we had, so when we walked in she got all three keys out for us.

They have a free breakfast, which is nice, and the food was fine, as in it filled me up. They offered to make us a cappuccino each morning also. It was nice to walk in for breakfast and not be asked to show a room key. They either trusted us or knew who we were.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay in Bologna.

Room Tip: Some rooms are very small but if you just want a place to sleep that is fine. I also realized my roo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

we stayed for two nights last week. our first night, the room had an odor that was not going away. we requested a different room for the 2nd night which was much better. the staff was very helpfull. everything was in walking distance. would rate 4 stars if we had the second room for both nights.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Racine, Wi
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Despite the challenges of driving into central Bologna without a GPS (not recommended!) once we found the property we found it to be delightful. Please note that the via Zamboni address does not face the entrance to the hotel.

Somehow we got upgraded to a two-bedroom suite that was recently remodeled. It was very, very nice. The windows opened onto the street below where an accordionist serenaded me the following morning. Breakfast was good, as was the all day coffee/tea service in the lounge area with a lovely terrace located nearby. The parking lot was literally outside the entrance and was 25E.
But beyond a doubt makes this hotel is it's fabulous location. It is within walking distance of all of the major attractions. Having never been to Bologna before we truly enjoyed walking through this interesting city and the covered walkways located throughout meant that we were protected even during some drizzle.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Hotel San Donato is beautifully located at the edge of the university area and within a short walk from almost everything you will want to see and do in Bologna. The desk staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was nice, and the breakfast buffet was excellent (including scrambled eggs, sausages and bacon among other hot items in addition to the usual continental fare). It's a bit of a hike from the train station at Bologna Centrale and, until you get your bearings, it's easy to get lost in Bologna's medieval streets. But the hotel is only a short block from the Two Towers (great view of them from the bar in the hotel) and that landmark is well marked on every map. There is a café/bar in the square in front of the hotel, which gets noisy at night (the in-room amenities included a pair of ear plugs!), but my room was in the back of the hotel so this wasn't a problem at all for me. All in all, a nice hotel and a great value.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the square in front of the hotel will be noisy at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
San Jose, California
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We found this hotel by accident and so glad we did. This hotel is centrally located to all the sites in Bologna. It has parking which is great because you really don't want to drive in that city unless you have to. The staff was very professional and helpful in answering all our questions.
The room was large with a fire place. We had a view of the city.
The bed was very comfortable affording a good nights sleep. Breakfast is also included.
I really do recommend this place.

dundee
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Upon arrival we were told that our reservation had been cancelled. I had confirmation from Expedia which said the bill was to be paid in local currency on leaving the hotel. The receptionist said it had it had to be prepaid and as my card number was refused the reservation was cancelled.The hotel had a booking not from Expedia but Venere.com?? After phoning Expedia we managed to get it sorted out. Not the best of starts to a holiday. I notice in a previous review someone else has had a similar experience a this hotel. Something to bear in mind when booking.Having said that the hotel is in a great location,staff especially the waitresses at breakfast are very friendly and it is very clean. We thought Bologna would be a good base for visiting Florence and Venice and some other cities but it wasnt as easy as we thought it would be. The train prices seemed to be crazy 40 euros to go to Venice,two hours away, and 100 euros to go to Florence,35 mins away. The buses didnt seem to be very good either.There were places we wanted to visit 20 mins away and we couldnt get a bus