Aemilia Hotel
US$193
US$164
getaroom.com
  • Breakfast included
I Portici Hotel(Bologna)(Great Value!)
US$252
US$242
Cancelon
  • Restaurant
Hotel Bologna Airport(Bologna)(Great Value!)
2,629 results
All reviewsgreat hotelroof terracehot tubminute walkcity centrehuge bedmodern hotelold cityquiet areahotel restaurantbreakfast buffetuniversity areabusiness hotelrooms are spaciousreception staffbooked this hoteltrain station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here on two separate nights in May. This hotel is a great place to stay - although a little outside the main town centre, it's an easy walk. The multilingual staff are very good indeed - ever informative and helpful.
We didn't try the restaurant (although the menu looked fine), but the bar and terrace area was very comfortable and comforting!
Highly recommended

Room Tip: High floors facing the city centre give superb views
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ajm72014
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We booked this hotel based on Trip adivisor review and we were not disappointed. It's a pleasant 10-12 walk to the main Piazza. It is clean, modern and spacious. It also have free WIFI and nice breakfast with helpful staff. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chantaleboz
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This hotel somehow manages to be even more than the sum of its first class components. The rooms are comfortable, clean and quiet, the restaurant is excellent, the bar boasts a nice terrace and there is also a rooftop terrace with great views over the city, especially at sunset.

So why is it so special? It's hard to say exactly, I like the colour of the bricks it's built from, I like the large photos of Bologna that hang in the public areas, I like the carpets with their motives based on a map of the city centre.... I could go, it just all works so well.

The location is pretty good. The walk to the centre the centre takes 15-minutes, but it only takes 5 minutes to get to the edge of the centre.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Theoriginalchoppy
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Easy bus ride to hotel, best bang for your buck in Bologna. If you don't mind a little walking. Or take a cab for 8 euros. Very nice accommodations...The breakfast is outstanding you will not be disappointed. We walked to the center and history of Bologna in 15 minutes or so...If it rains no problem the major walk ways are all covered... One of two days in bologna is enough to get a sense of it place in history...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dursop
Reviewed 26 May 2014

From the room… from the roof terrace… what a magnificent view right into the historic heart of beautiful Bologna as the sun sets in the distance lighting the roof tops and towers first in golds, then in burnt oranges before setting to reveal an memorable skyline against a deep red sky.

If there were only one reason to book this hotel, then I think you would know what would get my vote!

We booked this hotel less than one week before we were due to check in and, at the time of booking and then in a subsequent email to confirm our booking, requested a quiet room, on a high floor with the best possible city views. We also asked in our subsequent email if it would be possible to upgrade our room on the basis that only basic rooms were available at the time booking. Much to our delight we received an acknowledgement email from the hotel advising us that they had taken note of our room requests and would be, as gesture of goodwill, upgrading us to one of their panoramic rooms. What a lovely start to our self-organised Italian mini tour (which would see us visit Bologna, then Verona and finally Venice) and our vacation had not even begun!

Incidentally, we also asked the concierge via email if he/she would be so kind as to arrange an airport transfer for us. The concierge replied promptly confirming that an airport transfer could be arranged for a charge of €30. We accepted this offer via email.

Our driver was waiting for us at the airport in the arrivals hall with our name on a board as we emerged from the baggage reclaim area. He greeted us with a smile and then invited us to follow him to the car. Once outside, he politely asked us to wait by the roadside while he retrieved the car and a few moments later he pulled up in a large Volvo estate.

Whilst the airport transfer was incredibly convenient and, generally speaking, in my opinion worth every cent, I must say that I was a little nervous during the journey as the driver appeared to be in a hurry and was mildly obsessed with his smart phone, using it for calls and texts as he steered. I am not at all sure as to Italy's views on using mobile telephones at the wheel, however, it is illegal in the UK for the simple fact that it is extremely dangerous. Perhaps this is something that hotel management can address so as to try and avoid a guest’s arrival at the hotel being punctuated by a road traffic accident!

When we arrived at the hotel, check in was super quick and efficient. The member of reception staff was very pleasant and explained everything we needed to know.

Our panoramic room was situated on the fifth floor at the rear of the hotel and boasted an absolutely superb view of the city - we could even see the Basilica de St Luca in the distance on the hill.

The bed was enormous – it must have been a super king - and so comfortable. The room boasted a large shower in the bathroom but no bath.

We were very pleased.

The only fault with the room was that the radiator in bathroom needed some attention, or, in fact, completely replacing. As you will see from our photographs parts of the radiator were rusted and the temperature control was broken. Additionally, I know you might think that I have been staying in too many fancy hotels, but I did miss a bathrobe and a pair of slippers - these are not provided.

Oh, one more niggle… the TV. It was really small when compared to the size of the room and although it had over 300 channels, hardly any of them were in English (that is, apart from BBC World News and CNN) nor were there any pay-per-view movies! In fact, even MTV was dubbed!

When the sun goes down and you are not out and about in the city, or perhaps even confined to the room due to sickness, it is nice to watch some TV, but I must say that watching news on a very small TV can become mind numbing! Not good really for a modern hotel and perhaps something that can be addressed by management.

The hotel has a very lovely, but compact, roof terrace with a few tables and chairs, a jacuzzi and sunbathing area. We had a very enjoyable few hours up there one evening with a couple of beers, our books, cameras and a bag of potato chips. We sat at a table enjoying the early evening sun and grabbed some lovely unimpeded views of the sunset and the skyline.

Incidentally, as the hotel is on the outskirts of the historic centre and more in, say, of a residential area, it was so peaceful on the roof terrace. Indeed, the location, generally speaking is great if you are looking for a quiet hotel, away from the crowds and street noise: it is approximately a fifteen-minute walk to the historic centre, or a thirty-minute walk to the railway station, which is obviously not a walkable distance, as it were, with luggage.

Whilst staying at the hotel, we went on an excellent food tour (operated by Italian Days and, in particular by a chap called Alessandro and his wife, Barbara - our review of that trip is also on Tripadvisor, but I would just like to add here that the trip is an absolutely must-do when in Bologna!!) and were chatting with some Americans who were staying in a hotel directly opposite the railway station. They commented upon the street noise when they were in their room, and the fact that being on a high floor did not seem to make any difference! We were so very pleased to have a nice quiet room in comparison.

Every single member of staff that we came across was friendly, although not all of them spoke English. Whilst feel slightly ignorant making this comment, as my knowledge of the Italian language begins with "Grazie" and ends with "Caio", I do feel that when working in a hotel, a basic ability to converse in English should be a requirement.

I merely make this rather uncomfortable comment as we had one incident concerning breakfast that was a little frustrating.

During breakfast one morning we wanted to order two ham omelettes. There was a waiter nearby who we asked to take our order. Unfortunately however he did not speak English, and could not understand our request. He did not even understand our request for a menu. After a minute or two, he excused himself to find another member of staff who could speak English. Our omelettes were then ordered successfully!

On the subject of breakfast, the normal breakfast service was excellent with a good selection of fresh meats, cheeses, bread, fruit, yoghurts and pastries. As I have alluded to above, you can also order hot items from the kitchen for which a supplement is charged to your room. There are no hot item menus on the breakfast tables by the way, but simply ask a member staff and they will provide you with one. I ordered an omelette with ham (no cheese) on our first morning and it was really delicious: seasoned to perfection!

A couple of days later, the waitress approached us whilst taking breakfast and asked if I would like to order a ham omelette again. It was a really nice touch that she had remembered my previous order, and, I thought: what a superb example of first class customer service. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the waitress’ name, but she spoke English very well and I do hope that the hotel management shares this comment with the dining room waiting staff.

Incidentally, breakfast is served from 7:00 to 10:30 am, yet on one morning we went down to breakfast at 9:45 am only to be informed at 9:55 am that breakfast would finish soon and so if we wanted anything we should do so as soon as possible. We queried the waiter and explained that we had been advised by the reception desk upon check in that breakfast was until 10:30 am. The waiter responded by telling us that whilst what we had been told was correct, they were taking the food off at 10:00 am! Sure enough, everything, including drinks, was cleared away within fifteen minutes. This, in my opinion, really needs to be addressed by the hotel management: you should not advise guests that breakfast runs 7:00 to 10:30 am, only to take away all food and drink at 10:00 am!!

Incidentally, the day we went on our tour (to which I refer above), as we were being collected from the hotel at 6:50 am and breakfast did not commence until 7:00 am, I had, the previous night, asked the concierge desk if it would be possible to have a take away breakfast consisting of two croissants, one coffee and two juices. The concierge explained that the hotel could provide a "breakfast box" consisting of toast, something similar to a croissant and a drink. However what we were actually handed on the morning in question in white paper bags was rather disappointing to say the least! We had each been provided with a small packet of Melba toast, sweet biscuits, a portion of Nutella, a portion of honey, a (under ripe) kiwi fruit and a bottle of water! As it was so close to breakfast time, I really do not understand what would have been so hard for the hotel staff to provide us with real croissants and some juice and/or coffee to go! It was extremely underwhelming and I did not eat any of it. It was a good job that we were going on a food tour that is all I can say!

The hotel restaurant, "Gurme" is really very good indeed!! We ate there twice during our five-night stay.

On the first night, we both had the tagliatelle ragu as a main (it is on the menu as a first course). It was very tasty and a generous portion.

On the second night, we ordered lasagna, once again as a main, and we ordered rosemary roast potatoes and a mixed salad as side dishes. There was so much fresh and extremely tasty food brought to the table - I have honestly never had lasagna as good! For dessert we shared a chef's special dessert of Mascarpone cream with crushed amoretti biscuits. It was so simple, but divine!

Finally, there is a Carrefour mini supermarket nearby for essentials which we used daily - if you exit the hotel and turn right, then walk to the end of the street and turn right again it is near the end of that street on your right hand side. It does get very busy by the way, but was really handy to buy beers and potato chips etc from - it was also rather cheap!!

In summary, this is a very clean, modern and well-organised hotel with an excellent restaurant. The location is not only great if you are looking for peace and quiet and do not mind a little walk or taxi ride between the hotel and the historic centre, but also offers some, quite frankly, wonderful views of the city from some of the rooms and the roof terrace.

Despite the couple of niggles in my review, which are there so that, hopefully, the hotel management can improve upon what is already, in my opinion, a splendid hotel, I would definitely recommend this hotel to any friends, family of work colleagues that might be visiting Bologna!

I do hope that you found this review helpful and please do not hesitate to message us should you have any queries.

Room Tip: Go for a Panoramic Room - the view from our Panoramic Room window was simply superb!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple