“Impolite and no trace of Italian hospitality” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beatrice Bed & Breakfast

Beatrice Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bologna
Beatrice Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #220 of 281 Bologna B&B and Inns
Ankara, Turkey
“Impolite and no trace of Italian hospitality”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We chose this place because of its location & we had wanted to stay at an apartment of an Italian family to turn our Bologna experience into a more local one. In the beginning, all looked fine. Roberto seemed to be a kind guy and explained us how to get in without a key etc. He wanted an upfront payment and we did do so. After we paid, things started to get worse. He'd be unresponsive to our needs, for ex. when we asked for something kindly, such as having a coffee on the balcony, his answer was a big no. We got used to his impoliteness, however, we could not bear his defining new rules before informing us in advance. Since we were not given a key, when he was not home, we could not get into the apt so we had to be flexible. We were supposed to check out at 10:30 am from the room and he had told us the previous day we could leave our luggages there after check out without a problem but the next day, he came up with the argument that he had to leave his apt at 1 pm, so we had to pick up our luggages before 1 pm. As a result, we had to go around the town with our stuff till our flight in the evening.

The other very crippy incident was when Roberto screamed at my travel mate for opening the door for our friend from Bologna who just wanted to come up to pick us up and take us out. My friend was in shock for quite a while.

Frankly, I would not recommend this place to anyone and I believe that the owner doesn't have a suitable personality to run such a place.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sonaytr
allovertheworldItaly, Proprietario at Beatrice Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 8 July 2015
Probably your needs go beyond the availability we can offer.
We are very attentive to the needs of our guests whether they are compatible with our possibilities.
There are rules to follow both on our part and you that have to respect for the other guests in the hotel.
Please check carefully before booking at another hotel, that this can satisfy them all.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed at Beatrice B and B for a work trip.
My hosts were friendly on arrival - they gave me some good recommendations for restaurants nearby. But things deteriorated after that. The room was tiny, no where to open my suitcase, and I was told I could not put my suitcase on the other bed in the room. I was told I was not allowed to iron anything (I had travelled a long way and was there on business) as it was a safety issue and I would not know how to use the iron. (it was an ordinary iron - no special skill required).
I did not get breakfast as, despite telling them the time I was leaving in the morning, after sitting at the table for 20 minutes while Roberto stayed in the kitchen making tea, I had to leave. On coming back after dinner I could not get back in - I rang and rang the doorbell (it was before 10 pm) and was then chastised for waking everyone.
Overall I felt quite uncomfortable as Roberto was rude and surly.
I would definitely not recommend thsi B and B despite its excellent location.

Room Tip: The walls are thin. You will hear your fellow travellers breathing. Take ear plugs.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Maryann1919
allovertheworldItaly, Proprietario at Beatrice Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
We're sorry you did not enjoyed your stay.
Probably your needs required a service that you can easily find paying a little more, in other hotels.
We suggest that you first evaluate the price and the service of the hotels you will book.
Best regards!
Roberto

Travellers are raving about these Bologna hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

We visited Bologna by coincidence when the exhibitions were taking place so accommodation was hard to find and expensive when found. We were pleased to find this bed and breakfast which is family owned and has a lovely atmosphere. Roberto and Beatrice are welcoming and very relaxed. Our room was comfortable and quiet despite being on a main street. The breakfasts are large and offer a variety of cakes and biscuits as well as cereals, yoghurts, etc. There is a large balcony with plenty of seating. Access to everything in the beautiful city of Bologna is easy from the bed and breakfast and the hosts are very helpful.
You do need to pay up front and in cash as well as leave a deposit for the key but don't let this put you off.

Room Tip: When it comes to booking in Bologna you need to choose a time when the exhibitions are not taking pl...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank christine k
allovertheworldItaly, Proprietario at Beatrice Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
We apologize, first of all, if the answer was not timely, but we were not aware of our presence on this site.
From now on we'll reply to all messages that are both, positive or negative.
Our B & B accomplishes this year, twelve years, during this period we have had thousands of visitors, many of them loyal customers who occasionally come back to visit us or write to us.
Now you do not count the positive testimonials we collect from them almost daily, directly from their voice and their eyes, while they are pleasantly impressed by the hospitality by our breakfast, from a view that the successful placement of our B & B can offer, from the comfort and cleanliness of our rooms, etc..
We thank you a lot for your beautiful remarks, are the guests like you that make us love our B&B
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

First, the positives. This B & B is very centrally located, making it easy to walk to all the major sites in Bologna. The bus stops right in front of the building if you need to go further out. It is kept very clean and the beds are comfortable.

However, what is not clear on their website (at least not in English) is that you have to be out of the apartment between the hours of 10:00 and 5:00. The owners work and lock up the house. They told me I could have a key only if I gave them a deposit of 90 Euros, which I would get back on the last day. Well, since I didn't want to be in possession of 90 Euros right before I flew back to the States and I was attending the Bologna children's book fair (which meant I was planning to be out between those hours anyway), I declined taking a key.

One morning, I was running a bit late because I had a pressing request from work that needed attending to before I left. At 10 minutes after 10, Beatrice told me I had to get out. I was almost finished getting ready but still needed to pack my briefcase. She shouted that she was going to have to lock me in the apartment if I didn't leave. Can you imagine? Then, the following day, I got back at 5:25 and nobody answered the door. I waited, dead on my feet after a full day at the fair, for 10 minutes until Ricardo got back.

The only way this type of policy would be acceptable is if it is clearly stated on the website, which it is not. You don't find out until you arrive and then it is too late to change your plans.

Also, the hosts don't really engage with their guests. The first morning I sat alone at breakfast and they never came to ask if I had any questions or needed anything. The whole enterprise feels like one where the owners just want to make money on their extra rooms rather than a genuine interest in hosting people.

Lastly, the only protein offered at breakfast was yogurt. In most other European hotels you can at least find sliced cold cuts and/or boiled eggs. The breakfast, otherwise, was plentiful.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank jfoshed
From now on we'll reply to all messages that are both, positive or negative.
We are surprised and sorry to find on this site your negative reviews, perhaps dictated by expectations beyond our offer, but as every report we intend to keep it and use it to further improve our offer.
It is our practice to give the keys of the house to anyone who requests after payment of the accommodation and the deposit of 50 € will be refunded on return of keys.
We hope to have you as our guest next time.
Oakland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

*Note: Travel was in July **2010**
The Beatrice was easy to book -- Beatrice and Roberto were very responsive to email in English. They were also welcoming when I arrived. I stayed in the "Elizabeth" room which was clean, well-kept and had great air conditioning (July!). Breakfast was decently filling for a day of museum looking.

However, the arrangement of not giving guests a key or code to the building is seriously hampering. You must be out during the day and arrange with the owners what time you will return. I got stuck outside one night even though I had notified them I would return around midnight, and they said that was fine. Had to borrow a cell phone from an obliging man in the pizzeria next door. Why they could not give me a key for one night was not understandable since their policy says they will do so if you stay three nights or more which I did.

Room Tip: The Elizabeth is nice, though would only suit a solo or two travelers who do not want to share a bed...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank jessz47
From now on we'll reply to all messages that are both, positive or negative.
We hope to have you as our guest next time.
Cazilhac, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

Very bad experience. When I booked a room, I had no other option than to take the room for four, even though I was just looking for a single one. Not a real problem. The room had two single beds and one double. However, I wasn’t allowed to sleep in a double bed, although I had paid the full price for the room! Also, the whole apartment smells like cheap cigars and the name of the B&B, Beatrice, is a bit misleading. I only saw a grumpy old man. Never again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
From now on we'll reply to all messages that are both, positive or negative.
The room offered, the only free, although it was for four people and was paid as a single, wanting to use the double bed is possible for a minimal difference.
It may happen that the guests, who make an overnight stay, they should see one or the other owner, Beatrice is delighted to welcome a future occasion.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

Stayed here for one night in June , rang the owner before and asked how much a single room for 1 person would cost, the owner quoted me 50 euros but asked for 60 on the door. Also asked about wifi and they gave me some bad excuse why they don't have an open one and then said go to the terrace and use someone else's ( which is illegal) . Had to be out by 10 didnt see any of bologna after that as I had my bags , what a waste of time and money.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank AJW91
From now on we'll reply to all messages that are both, positive or negative.
The prices are published on our site, exposed in every guestroom and reported annually to the competent authority. Our B & B is in the center where it is possible to connect free wifi Municipality of Bologna.
After check-out you can leave your bags in the living room and then pick them up after 5:00 pm.