“Beautiful hotel in a beautiful city.”
Review of I Portici Hotel

I Portici Hotel
Ranked #23 of 103 Hotels in Bologna
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel in a beautiful city.”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel over Easter weekend and found it to be the first of many fantastic surprises in Bologna. The hotel itself is beautiful in a oddly classic and modern way. Simple uncluttered rooms capped by the stunning ceiling murals left over from its previous life as a city palace. The only slight complaint would be the very tiny televisions mounted on the wall. We had a 15 foot wall with a 13inch tv mounted in the middle. After a few days we realised the location was perfect....a 10 minute walk to the main piazza and food markets- 10 minutes to the University district that is loaded with great restaurants- and a 5 min walk to the train station which made a day trips to Parma, Modena, and Florence so easy and enjoyable. Breakfast was fantastic, the bar was good with a perfect balcony facing the park, and staff were flawless. Highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: We stayed in 419 which was large and very nice....its just that it faces the street which can be a l...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Wonderful surprise in Bologna! We stayed here in May '08 as part of our Europe trip. We made the reservation online and wound up picking this place because it was close to the central train station and the price was hard to pass up. We got into Bologna late in the afternoon and we got a little lost because we weren't exactly sure how far the hotel was. We thought it was much further than it was, so much so we initially passed it and then found it when we doubled back. Once we got there and walked into the lobby, we felt completely out of place. By comparison to the folks we saw walk in and out of the place, we must have looked completely disheveled. Regardless of our appearance, we were warmly welcomed by the hotel staff. Most of the front desk were young adults and they all spoke English as well as other languages. The place looked quite new, so I asked the person who checked us in and they confirmed that the hotel was still relatively new. She gladly handed over the keys and told us how to get to our room.

The room was huge...or perhaps it was an optical illusion. The room had a very high ceiling and was scantily furnished. The room had 2 twins, a small desk with chair, and not much else. The bathroom was also large and elegantly decorated. Our room overlooked the courtyard, but luckily there were black out drapes provided. The only down part was there was quite a bit of noise coming from the hallway. The door was undercut so that's where the noise (and light) came from. If not for that I would be very comfortable in giving this hotel and Excellent rating. The on-site restaurant and bar were packed during the time we were there, but we didn't get a chance to use either during our stay.

For the price, it was very hard to beat the location and service. If back in Bologna, would love to stay here again, even if just for one night.

Room Tip: The high ceiling rooms do make the room noisier than they should be.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Early in October, we (an American couple in our 60s) spent 6 nights at I Portici meeting Italian friends. The property is a converted city mansion, beautifully restored,backing up to a large city park. Our room was spacious and clean. The staff were very helpful and the Terrazza bar is a restful and pleasant place for a drink or light meal (inside or outside). Since the property is just inside the pedestrian-only zone, there was no noise problem and walking to the Piazza Maggiore is only a 10 to 15 min trip.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TJCGrandRapids
St Andrews
Reviewed 13 January 2012

The rooms are beautiful, and we had a massive ceiling, with an outside view to the park which was wonderful to look out into. The hotel is in the best location one could hope for, close to the train station and right in the center of one of the most important streets of the city, within walking distance of most places.

As others say, there is a fair problem with the floorboards, since one can hear heels clicking on the other floors, however it wasn't that much of a problem in our case. Also, there is free wifi.

Room Tip: With a park view and probably in the top floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
new jersey
Reviewed 23 December 2011

What can I say about the I Portici Hotel Bologna and the staff; I stayed at this hotel because of the location to the train. It was perfect. The room was clean and quite .the staff was always ready to help, I asked for a restaurant in the area and was given a map with the place was circled. When I arrive at the restaurant and mention the hotel, I had the best setting and the owner was over to see me. This Hotel has a great reputation and would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for third floor
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 22 December 2011

The place is really lovely and the atmosphere is very cool. Young and kind staff at the reception - though I wouldn't call them "friendly". Rooms are large and minimal-style furnished (though I must admit I didn't like the shelves and racks to substitute for a proper cupboard). Breakfast is abundant and excellent with two buffets - one sweet, one salted - and served in a lovely little theatre with outstanding décor.
I was a bit surprised to find worn-out sheets and towels (one of them even ripped) and the complimentary toiletries were also scanty.
Free wi-fi and satellite TV; the mini-refrigerator in the room is very nice to look at but so noisy that I had to switch it off during the night.
One thing I didn't like is that when I arrived, though the room had already been paid for by my company, the receptionist asked me my credit card as a "guarantee" for the minibar drinks and snacks. Well, what I think is that a 4-stars luxury hotel should not only avoid such suspicious attitude, but also offer at least water free of charge to its customers, and take the risk that somebody who can afford to stay in a ***L hotel might steal something from the minibar a coke or a beer or a chocolate from the minibar instead of displaying such unpleasant distrustfulness.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LucyKo
Figueira da Foz, Portugal
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We all know that first impressions are very important and this time, Silvia from the reception made all the difference. Thank you Silvia for the great room you gave me, on the 3rd floor with a beautiful balcony to the gardens and via Indipendenza. The room was spacious, bright, with a beautiful ceiling, very clean, comfortable bed and decent bathroom. Free wi-fi with very good speed anywhere in the hotel was a plus.
I had 4 dinners at "La Terrazza" Bistro and the quality was very good for a fair price - the “spuma di mascarpone” for desert was delicious.
Breakfast was very decent, with fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit and yoghurts. I would suggest some variety of bread as we only have white bread available. The breakfast room was amazing, the old theatre beautifully restored (as the rest of the hotel) with the stage and a piano.
Location is great, just 10 minutes walk to the city centre, lots of shops in via Indipendenza.
I stayed 6 nights for business purposes and I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: If you have trouble sleeping, ask for a room facing the garden. Via Indipendenza can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business