“Clean, comfortable, restful and good breakfast”
Review of I Portici Hotel

I Portici Hotel
Ranked #23 of 102 Hotels in Bologna
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed at I Portici for 3 nights and enjoyed our time in Bologna, a great part because of the well-located and comfortable hotel room. It was easy to come back to the hotel to take a nap and rest from the busyness of the city below being located 10 min from train station and from the city center by foot. We had a great room on the 4th floor that overlooks part of the adjacent park and via indipenza. Sleep quality was good and the high ceilings made the room airy and roomy. The breakfast was also very good by italian standard. A good spread of fresh fruit, bread and sweets. There were even scrambled eggs and bacon too.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed 4 January 2013

The staff was excellent and very helpful. It was by far the best service we had in itlay. The rooms were clean and very modern. The staff was honest with us about what to do and where to go. If they did not know something they told us and tried to help us find out. If they did know they were glad to help. Their English was flawless.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank S W
Reviewed 26 December 2012

This hotel is gorgeous and the staff friendly, but I have to say the in-room experience leaves much to be desired. I found my room to have no air conditioning on an unseasonably hot week in Bologna. I called the front desk and asked for the air to be turned on but was told it was not possible. Opening the window also proved problematic as my room faced the street directly above a busy bus stop, and there were no other rooms available. The location is excellent, the bar enjoyable, but I wouldn't recommend this hotel for the price charged.

Room Tip: If you choose this hotel ask for a park side or atrium facing room to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank LindseyWChatt
iportici, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at I Portici Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Dear Lindsey,

Reading your review I was left with a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like we should have done more to make your stay a pleasant one. I remember you and the week of your stay, and indeed the weather was exceptionally hot. Just the week before we had been preparing for the cold season switching from air conditioning to heating system, then the weather decided to play a trick on us, right in the middle of the expo season, when the rates are at their highest.
Therefore, I'd like you to accept my humblest apologies for the poor quality of your visit, although I'm glad to find that our staff did its best to make up for it.
There's really nothing else I can say, except I hope you'll be willing to give us another chance next year. I will be personally checking on your reservation, and making sure everything goes as it is expected from us!

Best regards,

Nicola Berto
Guest relation manager
I Portici Hotel Bologna

Reviewed 20 December 2012

Rooms are of a good size. I stayed in room 211 which is away from the road, so a little quieter.
Customer services were excellent. My colleage had to change rooms twice. But it was no bother to move her. The first move was because a door didn't dead-lock properly, the second was because the noise of the traffic and the proximity of the room to the Hotel Bar on the 2nd floor. Mini bar was very expensive and avoided. Breakfast was adequate but not exception selection. The hightlight for me...free and robust wifi that didn't require any faffing around with security codes.
Beautiful location in the city, just down the road from a street market as well.
Went to a restaurant that was nearby...I report on that seperately.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road. Also, the higher, the better. If on the 2nd floor, ask for...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JPerryQuedgeley
Reviewed 19 December 2012 via mobile

They redeemed themselves well as they initially placed us in a room on the 4th floor which had apparently just been repaired for a sewage issue. Unfortunately for us the problem had not been fixed and the place stunk to high heaven. So after making a complaint they moved us to another room on the same floor. Nice looking room overlooking the park. Wifi did not work in the room and despite my complaining about it nothing was done to remedy it.

The location is very good. Very close to the railway station and about 10 minutes Walk to the piazza majiore.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 16 December 2012

This hotel is well located, has a very friendly staff and looks good on the surface. Public rooms are very nice. But the rooms themselves are minimal to a fault, beds hard and uncomfortable and the shower small and leaky. There were steps from the bathroom to the bedroom that were dangerous at night. The price is good but they could do better than canned juice at breakfast.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Joanne,

thanks for leaving your opinion! Indeed, minimalism is what we're about, but we always try to do it with style. I suppose we didn't quite make that impression on you :)
I'm sorry to hear you didn't find our beds comfortable enough. It was a very careful choice on behalf of the management, but of course sleeping habits are particular to each person. It would be presumptuous of us to believe we can satisfy everyone's tastes.
One last thing though, people in our breakfast room were outraged when they read about the canned juice :D
We take much pride in our breakfast service, and we're among the few hotels in Bologna which offer freshly squeezed orange juice and made to order cafeteria.

Now you will definitely have to come back and try our breakfast again!

All the best,

Nicola Berto
Guest relation manager
I Portici Hotel Bologna

Reviewed 15 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend with my husband in december 2012. We got a nice welcome by the staff and a room upgrade for free to a nice room on the third floor. The room was quiet spacious with high ceilings and modern interior. If to wish something to improve, it would be some carpet and maybe some additional interior details like a wall painting or cushions which would give the room a more cosy feeling. The bathroom was clean but a bit simple for the standard. A shower cabin in plastic is maybe not what you would expect from a 4star hotel. Nevertheless the room was clean and the breakfast good. The location is nearby Piazza Maggiore (short walking distance) which makes it ideal to explore the wonderful old town.
Overall we can recommand this place and would stay here again.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple