“Little Uffizi in Parma”

National Gallery (Galleria Nazionale)
Ranked #10 of 138 things to do in Parma
Reviewed 28 August 2018

Of course it's not on the scale of the Uffizi but there are some great works in here.

If you like portrait art I would certainly recommend a visit to this museum. We had the place to ourselves and took us around an hour to perfuse all of the paintings and I would certainly say it was an hour well spent!

Date of experience: August 2018
in 24 reviews
"correggio"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

Check with Parma tourism. I do believe it closes later than this site states. Inside: Amazing amphitheater and beautiful 17th century artwork.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed 17 July 2018

We were wandering around Parma for the afternoon and happened upon the National Gallery, although to be fair, it is hard to miss.

We could have spent hours upon hours here, with not only the art masterpieces, but the breathtaking juxtaposition of the old building, and industrial-modern interior. The Gallery itself is something unique to see, in addition to the art. While we were touring, there were rehearsals going on in the amphitheater. We stopped to watch and listen for a half hour to take in this lovely experience.

I know that museum burn-out can happen in a place as steeped in history as Italy, but I highly, highly recommend checking this out if you are in the vicinity!

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

This art gallery is definitely worth the two hours we were there. It is well maintained with good presentation of art displays. There are some very famous artists such as Leonardo de Vince. As well as little know ones over several generations. There is a small entrance fee but not much. Didn’t notice any parking for autos in the area. Enjoy the art

Date of experience: June 2018
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

The last stop on our day trip to beautiful Parma was Palazzo della Pilotta, home to the Parma Galleria Nazionale, the Archeological Museum and Teatro Farnese (one ticket for all three of them is 10€).

Baroque style Teatro Farnese, is an absolute must visit: this beautifully preserved richly decorated wooden theater is really something so unique (I wrote a separate review about it).

The art gallery is not huge, but I found what I wanted: lovely Leonardo da Vinci’s “La Scapigliata” is there... I just could not take my eyes off it... I think it is one of the most captivating portraits I have ever seen... The smile of this charming young girl can easily compete with the Mona Lisa smile. Fascinating!

And also phenomenal collection of masterpieces by Correggio and Parmigianino is there, including famous Parmigianino’s “Portrait of Turkish slave”...

I lingered in the gallery, so I had very little time left for the Archeological Museum, which is tiny but interesting; especially the statues of Roman Emperors.

Visit to the Galleria Nazionale di Parma was definitely a highlight for me as it would be for all real art lovers. Do not miss this treasure!

Date of experience: April 2018