“Avoid if you want a quiet stay, incredibly noisy!!!”
Review of Century Hotel

Century Hotel
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Parma
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Whilst the decor is nice and modern, and rooms are clean, and wifi connection good (but not free!) the place appears to be made out of paper walls. You can hear everything that goes on outside your door (banging, shouting opening and closing of doors, people getting in and out of lift, etc), and also what's going on next door! My room had a connection door to the adjoining room and I could hear EVERYTHING. The toilet, the music, the pizza delivery, I could tell my lady neighbour was listening to Adele while drying her hair and I could hear her ordering her pizza. All this while some adolescent Italians seemed to tear the house down in the hall. Needless to say that a quiet evening was out of the question. Outside is so noisy with busses etc that opening the window is also not really an option. The guy at reception in the evening was neither very friendly nor informative and I had to painstakingly extract all information such as what time breakfast was served. Speaking of the latter, it is of very limited choice and the room is in the cellar, so a bit dull. The lady who brings the coffee is nice and cheerful though and the coffee is good. There are also about 300 TV channels, but every single one is in Italien, so tough luck if you want entertainment in another language. There is a CD player - unfortunately, as my neighbour enjoyed playing it a lot and at a high volume!
I come to Parma frequently, but I will not stay here again. Ever. Avoid rooms with connecting doors at all cost. Avoid full stop, unless you come with some serious ear plugs.

Room Tip: Specify that you do not want a connection door in your room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank cltt

Reviewed 28 October 2011

loved the design, the colour scheme and decors.
Pity about the low standard breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank vittoriaDublin
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Don't let the looks deceive you. I had over 700 Euros stolen from my bag. The hotel staff did not show any care nor have any procedure to investigate. This was reported to the police but with no camera's in the hotel (the only one at reception was fake, so I was told) there's no hope in finding the culprit. All i know is that I told reception when I would be out of my room and as I requested late check out. It seems pretty obvious to me... You've been warned.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank tpb_2011_11
Reviewed 25 November 2010

Got lured into this renovated budget hotel pretending to be something it is not
as I was headed from the Parma Train station to the city.Paid 100 euro which
was almost twice as much as it was worth.Was promised and shown a suite
then bait and switched to an attic garret room with a tiny window with no view
that felt very claustrophobic.Bed was hard I slept poorly.Breakfast was sparse
and got cursed out in Italian by the manager for taking more packaged cheese
slices than he thought I should from the buffet.Staff was truly unhelpful approaching horrible.Always try to say something postitive so I will say it is 1 block from the
train station so it is VERY easy to leave which was the VERY best part of my stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank qwovadis
Reviewed 11 November 2010

The Century Hotel has been extensively renovated, and redecorated and it is a quality job all round. The hotel can be noisy during the day, as it is right by the railway and bus station, so ask for a room near the back of the hotel. The staff are fabulous, and the internet connection very good. The breakfast offered a lot of variety and was good quality. The fixtures and fittings in the rooms are very good quality and the hotel is no more than 150m from the railway station.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Crawfz
Reviewed 27 October 2010

This is my second time in the Century and being aware there had been bad reviews in Trip Advisor I was very wary. I could not find one thing wrong with the hotel except maybe that the rooms are small and it is a bit too dear for a 3 star.
It is, however, a lovely hotel with quirky furnishings, nice staff (bar one of the receptionists), very good continental breakfast and central position near station.
Please note that it is not a 5 or a 4 star hotel, it is a good 3 star business hotelmostly for Italian clients who appreciate it.
Management were very helpful. I would go back again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We first stayed in this hotel in October 2008 and enjoyed the stay so much we stayed her again just over 12 months later.

The hotel itself is situated a few metres from the train station, so would be extremely handy for those travelling by rail. In spite of that, we in a total of 6 nights in this hotel, we didn't hear any rail noise at all, even late at night. It is within easy walking distance of any part of Parma, and although a little pricey (we paid 100euros a night), the location more than makes up for that.

The bus station is also located right outside the train station, so if you don't want to walk, you can literally leave the hotel and walk straight onto a bus to travel around the city.

We found the staff more than pleasant, and they can converse in many languages too - I heard them speaking English, French and German to other guests. The lobby is nicely fitted out, as are the rooms themselves. Our twin room had everything we needed, was very clean and well thought out, with a lovely large bathroom, and as the hotel is still only a few years old, nothing was worn or shabby.

The breakfast is brilliant, with cold meats, lots of bread, croissants, fruit, juice and very good coffee.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple