“Mosaics simply wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Mosaics simply wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

When in Europe you have the chance to see many splendid churches but this one is truly magnificent. The mosaics are beyond your imagination. The art is worth a visit as it is so impressive. We enjoyed our visit and were glad we went.

Visited July 2014

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
119 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 193 helpful votes
“See if you can spot the Last Supper”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

One of the earliest depictions of the Last Supper lurks high on the wall at the altar end of the nave, very close to the ceiling. You can also see the work of early art critics who edited some of the mosaic scenes to rid them of Arian heresy. Art experts say you'll find the first ever depiction of the Devil here, too, but to our untrained eyes he simply looked like an angel clad in blue. The goats he's tending (rather than sheep) are supposed to be the big giveaway. You'll need to see it for yourself to decide. We purchased the 5-site ticket and spent an entire Saturday wandering from one site to the next. Very impressive.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank TorontoJK
Dublin, Ireland
142 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 265 helpful votes
“Satan in the western art”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Following the interpretation of some historians, this mosaic is considered the first western artistic depiction of Satan! Besides that, this church is truly unique and again another crossroad between the old western/eastern early christianity. A must see!

Visited May 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Too much beautiful to explain with simple words”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I live in Ravenna,so I see it every day and every day I remember when I was there with the school and my teachers(who can explain that church better that an old teacher from Ravenna?)and visited the church.First me and my friends was thinking:"What a bore!It will be another example of a ruine church!"but when we get there I said:"ON THE FACE OF THE RUINE CHURCH!!!".If i cannot explain the beauty of the church when I was there,I think I will NEVER have the words to explain it!That beauty,that mosaics all so perfect,in the finest details,made that church the biggest attraction of all Ravenna.

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Another "must see" in Ravenna”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

More gorgeous mosaics. You will need a guidebook or knowledgable person to explain to explain their history and meaning.

Visited June 2014