“disipointment”

Ranked #9 of 838 Restaurants in Trieste
Price range: US$18 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“disipointment”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We chose the place after reading opinions at Tripadvisor. Unfortunately we found the visit completely unsuccessful. Apart from the fish soup the meals were minimal and very average. In our opinion it is a place prepared for tourists, not longer a local dining place.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank tp1970

• Polish first
Venice, Italy
“Eat Here for Good Trieste Seafood!”
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I have been dining at Antipastoteca di Mare a couple of times over the past few years and I always leave totally satisfied with the quality of the meal. The food is super tasty and you'll be ordering dishes that you don't find on normal seafood restaurant menus.

First, let me tell you about the place. It's difficult to find, located on a side street below Castel San Giusto. There is limited, if any, parking on the street. There is no sign outdoors, just a canopy with their name over the entrance door. If you are fortunate enough to find Antipastoteca, you will certainly be pleased with all the effort you took to find it. My suggestion, take a taxi!

The local is decorated with a nautical theme, having not much sense or order. There are plastic lobsters and crabs stuck on the walls, fishnets, boat oars, but mostly restaurant reviews from around the world praising the quality of seafood served here. Even the New York Times wrote an article applauding Antipastoteca di Mare! Tables are covered with paper tablecloths and service utensils are basic. This is a no frills restaurant, offering tasty, hearty dishes.

The service is provided by the owner, who takes orders, delivers food, cleans tables, and assists the one chef in the kitchen. This visit, I had the "Seafood Lasagna" which featured out of this world flavor! Among the layers of pasta, was a wide assortment of fish, mostly unidentifiable, but all scrumptious! My guest had the fish soup which was extremely flavorful (I tasted it) and ideal for this cold, late autumn day when the Bora wind was blowing. I have had the bean, mussels and fish soup here in the past and I highly recommend it. We both followed this course with the pan-fried mullet (triglia) which were served four to a serving, with a side bowl of seasoned oil with garlic and parsley. Very tasty, though mind the small bones!

The house wine, a Tocai (or now they call it Friulano or Tai) was a great compliment to meal and the glass of grappa topped off the evening meal. If you are adventurous and like to try authentic, local cuisine, I highly recommend you enjoy a meal at Antipastoteca Di Mare.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Mirto56
Riga, Latvia
“a hidden traditional place”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We went to the place for a dinner just thanks to all the reviews on the Tripadviser and did not regret any minute.
Though a place hard to find, but the place was worth it. Food was very fresh and delicious. However, make sure you book a table in advance, as the place is small.
It serves traditional fish food and looked like being popular among the locals.
The bill was a very nice surprise in the end. Dinner for 2 was only 45 EUR.

1 Thank Natalja R
Milan, Italy
“Have Yet to Eat There... and I Like It Already”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Allow me to review an expectation of a future dinner, built on a visit in person.

We were in Trieste days ago, and checked out quite a few restaurants while visiting the town - say half a dozen. Or maybe visited half a dozen recommended restaurants to choose one for dinner and stumbled upon some sights on our way, granted.

This had by far the most interesting menu of all, and the best prices. They also were the only one fully booked. Even more importantly, of all full restaurants I ever visited in my life, this was the most hospitable and friendly in welcoming us nevertheless and convincing us to get there again whenever we would be back in town.

If I get to Trieste again, I trust this will be my first choice.

1 Thank GianlucaMarcellino
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Great seafood in Trieste”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We came to this restaurant by reviews on Trip Advisor. After eating at the restaurant we have to agree with the Excellent reviews. We showed up around 7 p.m. to be welcomed in by the owner. We were the only customers for about an hour on this Thursday night in early August.
For our first course we had the seafood soup and seafood lasagna, which were both spectacular. We followed this with grilled fish and finished with apple strudel with chocolate drizzled on top. We were assured that all that we had was made in the scratch kitchen. We enjoyed the house Tocai wine with dinner.
The biggest advantage of this award winning restaurant is that it is out of the way and therefore not crowded. This allows the two owners to welcome each guest, wait the tables and cook the food. Our dinner totaled 47 euros including wine and water, the first course, second course, a shared salad, and strudels for two people.

1 Thank C P