“Great experience!”

Starhotels Savoia Excelsior Palace
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Trieste
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Very beautiful hotel in the greatest possible location in Trieste! The rooms and bathrooms were very nicely equipped - beautifully decorated, comfortable and spacious. Service was very good - everything you asked for was explained and provided without any faces or problems.
Breakfast was very good with fresh juice, fruits, great coffee and nice croissants!
The location of the hotel is fantastic - on the waterfront and two minutes from Piazza Unita D'Italia! Many nice restaurants around - ask at the hotel or check online - great fish dinner guaranteed!
I would stay in this hotel every time - it is a pity I do not come to Trieste so often!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Starhotels Savoia Excelsior Palace

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My brother and I spent our last night in Italy here after touring the Dolomites and Slovenia. Our evening here was a great ending to the trip, due in large part to the hotel, location and nearby dining options. Glad we visited Trieste.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank John C
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Anyone visiting Venice can take the train to Trieste and enjoy both the city and this hotel. The room I stayed in was an unaskedfor upgrade,very handsomely decorated. Tea and coffee makings in the room,very nice touch. I had lunch in the lobby area and dinner in the restaurant,both excellent and well served. I chose very simple things that are often the true test of a chef. The spagetti with pomadoro sauce was the best this pasta lover has ever eaten! My very early departure meant not trying the breakfast but I shall return! The front desk was well staffed,provided a taxi at 5:45 and courteously listened to my complaint about the lack of free wifi after the first hours use. This wifi failure is the only flaw and one hopes will be rethought by the management.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank barretteagan
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed here early Nov. for 4 nights, received a large comfortable room w/ a view of the bay, Ricardo (?) at front desk extremely helpful with maps, directions, etc. He even gave us passes to the large Antique show in the ship terminal across the street, also loved the enormous breakfast buffet choices....and do take part in their early evening "happy hr" complete with free snacks, (Olives, cheese, squid!, chips) would definitely stay there again given the opportunity.

Room Tip: don't know about the other higher floors, but our third floor room near a corner was perfect, an...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clif4nyc
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We were in Trieste for ten days for business, and surprisingly this was the cheapest hotel we could find for those dates. When we arrived, we were absolutely flabbergasted at how amazing it was! A large property right on the water, conveniently located near the piazza, with absolutely top-notch service. When the trip was done, we didn't want to leave! We're making up excuses to return to Trieste just so we could stay here again! I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants an excellent experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Old style hotel that needs a few “customer service” upgrades. Painting walls just 15 feet outside our door with drop cloths on the floor does not paint (excuse the pun) very good image for the hotel. Customer service … hmmm. I had informed the Concierge that we would be celebrating our 56th wedding anniversary while staying in the hotel and someone decided to put a little anniversary gift in our room … a small box with 2 small cookies in it!! We had paid for a 4 night stay and departed after the 3rd day … just did not feel comfortable in this hotel and will not return. Lastly, parking is non-existent (guests must all be walking to the hotel or arriving by taxi) and, you must pay 30 Euros ($40 US) just to park your car while staying in the hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I personally had a bad experience at this hotel.

1) There is only one iron in the entire hotel. I kid you not. I rang up the night before work the following morning and was told it would be available in the morning. When I rang up someone else was using it. I was talk wait 15mins. After one hour and 15mins the hotel offered to iron them for me (after cheekily trying to charge me first!). So this messed up my preparation for work etc.

2) There is a flashing light just inside the door to the room that wouldn't go off all night which resulted in a terrible nights sleep. When I reported it to reception they were fully aware of it and have had complaints before!!! Its ridiculous to think that they are aware of this and just let it happen continuously.

3) One of the mornings there I was half way through my breakfast and got up to get a glass of water. My food was half eaten, my bag was on the other chair and a report was on the table itself. I got back 20seconds later and the staff had removed all my breakfast!

For what is supposed to be a good hotel the above is unacceptable although you can make an exception for the breakfast. One iron in a hotel like this is beyond farcical.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business