“Not running”
Review of Opicina Tramway

Opicina Tramway
Ranked #38 of 415 things to do in Trieste
Reviewed 6 October 2012

This leaves from the Oberdan Piazza and sounds wonderful but they must have a hard time keeping it running. We were there at the end of September and it wasn't operational.

2  Thank ReeSue
Write a ReviewReviews (1,608)
All reviews
"engineering"
in 5 reviews
"euros"

Reviewed 14 September 2012

Tried to use the tram on 10th September 2012 and learned it had been withdrawn from service on 3rd September. The old tram was still in place on 10th with an information notice in the window, but had disappeared by 13th September. Cars were parked over the tram tracks along the route. The Trieste transport website states 'Ultim'ora: Importanti lavori alla TRENOVIA DI OPICINA - sospensione del servizio per 5-6 mesi' - so I guess the tram will be back for next year. To be honest, the tram did look in need of some refurbishment.

3  Thank JimALyon
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Interesting journey by tram. At times very steep incline. Good viewpoint at the summit. Well worth the ticket price

3  Thank reen w
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Cheap, easy and cool way to see panoramas of the city and sea beyond. Especially when coupled with the walking route Strada Vicentina to Prosecco and taken some hours before sunset.

1  Thank Andero U
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My wife and I trained in to Trieste from Gorizia this time last year primarily to visit the Borga Grotta Gigante. But to get to Opicina, the fantastic tram ride was a thrill for us both. I simply bought "bilietti per Opicina per due persone" at the tram station newspaper booth. It was an bilietta orario (1 hour on any public transport ticket). The booth operator also sold us our return tickets, which I thought will save time for us. Unfortunately I accidentally "clocked" the return tickets at the same time in the yellow ticket stamping machine. Anyway so we jumped onto the tram and experienced a wonderfully relaxing and panoramic trips ever. Where I come from in New Zealand, our capital city Wellington has a cable car system but that is nothing compared to this one. It's a street tram / cable car cross and it gave us a beautiful panoramic view of Treiste harbout (it actually reminded us a little of Wellington city). Once we got to Opicina, we had to wait for the bus to Grotta Gigante which was we didn't time very well so our "orario" ticket was to expire before the bus left. When the bus arrived I spoke with the driver explaining the situation and he very kindly told us not to worry and bade us get on the bus! Grazie Tanto signore driver.
Since our visit was only for the day, my wife and I did not get the chance to look around Trieste but next year, we plan to return (and take the tram trip again) and stay a little longer to enjoy Trieste in full. P.S. I had to buy our return tram tickets from a very nice lady at the tram station cafeteria.

4  Thank OniTora