Hotel Riviera & Maximilian's
NH Trieste(Trieste)
Hotel Roma(Trieste)
Hotel Italia(Trieste)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsadriatic seamiramare castleeuropean standardsrestaurants within walking distancebeautiful hotelbeds were comfortablebreakfast buffetshort walkold buildingcoastlinebalconyseasidesistianabustoiletriesvenicerenovation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Although this hotel has a great setting and the rooms are pleasantly appointed, our over riding memory of the Riviera Hotel is one of rude and unhelpful male staff. There was conflicting information between reception and the beach staff about which towels to use at the beach; one receptionist refused to admit his error when he gave wrong information about how to get to the Miramare Castle (in fact it's a long walk down the main road); and one of the waiters opened the breakfast room in the morning with a look that suggested we were a nuisance just for being there at opening time. The female staff were much more pleasant. One of the problems with the hotel is we were told it is run by three management teams - hotel, dining and beach - so no-one is in full charge of it. One other thing - be aware that it'll cost you a flat charge of 6 euros to have something brought to your room, even a cup of tea. This hotel needs to get back to basics and remind itself what it is in business about.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Argyllman
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Based on the TA reviews, we booked 3 nights at 150 euro, the most expensive hotel of our trip to Italy. The good: the room with balcony was absolutely quiet, the terrace for dinner was immense, the breakfast was good, the view verry nice. But the negatives were many: we were checked in by a man so unfriendly and unhelpful that we grabbed the key and ran, not a great start. The room was small, it had ONE horizontal surface about 3' long with much of the space taken up by a television. Front desk confirmed a room with two beds, it was a King made out of two twins with king bedding. No extra bedding, and we weren't going to call that nasty man at the desk; we ripped everything apart and rearranged the beds so we could deal with the room. When your partner snores, where the beds are is quite important! So I ended up backing a chair up to the head of my bed to prop pillows on so I could read. I've made an end table out of my suitcase before. The desk lamp didn't work, turned out it was the outlet so nothing to be done. But all of this was small potatoes compared to the shower. Beautiful, yes it was, but designed by a mental patient. 2' square, sparkling glass with no place to put your shampoo or facewash. Put it on the floor but you cannot reach down to get it without opening the door. Could not raise your arms to wash your hair. The water/temp controls protruded into the space about 9", so one of your poor arms or elbows banged into it every 30 seconds, resulting in scalding or freezing water. We had a wonderful start to dinner the first night sitting on the edge of the terrace but my husband's sea bass entree was full of bones. I enjoyed most of mine before the bones appeared. It had been presented at the table, probably a training session. We were not offered any accommodation whatsoever, so we did not spend another euro in the restaurant. I do not understand why people who own hotels don't use their brains and figure out what the guest wants ... decent night's sleep, nice shower and good food. Test-drive your rooms ... it was obvious that the shower was big enough for a small child even before I got in it. If there's a problem, take care of it, offer apologies and a treat, don't pretend it didn't happen. We would probably have spent another 2 or 300 euro on dinners in their restaurant. I'm always treated well anywhere I travel ... maybe Mr Nasty didn't like Americans? Hotel Riviera could be world famous with some professional management.

Room Tip: Arrive early and look carefully at the room you're assigned to be sure you can deal with it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JSN
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Very good placed between Trieste Airport (20km) and Trieste Down Town (8km)
From the hotel you can reach the Miramare Castle on foot walking on the bank of the sea.
Very good restaurant with a terrific terrace
Staff kind and helpful
Rooms very clean and with view on the sea!
The perfect place to stay to visit the region

Room Tip: Rooms from 501 to 508 (view over the sea)!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I was there for a workshop and I thought this trip would be stressful. However, staying in this hotel totally brought me joys. The breakfast was really amazing. They offered really great food for breakfast. I really enjoyed. The beach was really nice!!!!!!!!!!!!
The breakfast was awesome. The beach was awesome. The service was awesome. To conclude, this hotel is awesome!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My husband & I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in mid July 2012 for a series of business meetings. In total our group had 5 rooms. Our room was in the main building (old building) the other 4 were in the newer building away from reception & sort of under the parking area. Our local employee in Trieste was great to have negotiated a good rate for all of us & he was kind enough to hand pick the room that my husband & I had.

The reception staff are very helpful & always try to accommodate your request. We ate a few times at the hotel. First night was very nice, great view. Fresh sea bass was delightful & plated at the table. They did however forget to bring my appetizer but were quick to correct if from the bill. The second meal was lunch with our bigger group. The food was good however once again incorrect orders & timing not in sync. Third meal timing of food was a problem. When they commented that I was still waiting for my main course my husband advised them that since everyone else had finished their meal that I no longer wished to have it. He also advised them that this was now the 3rd time similar problem had occurred. The head waiter was advised & he was very quick to apologize & bring complimentary desserts which were AMAZING. The food is nice at the hotel & I believe they have a great desire to improve the service & are genuinely concerned.

As for the hotel itself. Location is beautiful & quiet with breathtaking views. Rooms in our section of the hotel were very nice with good size bathrooms & toiletries. Beds comfortable. Access to the sea is a great plus & the food & service at the sea is very good. There is a few but one typically expects this in Europe. Location wise it is not within walking distance to Trieste (even though we did do it!) but there is the park area that provides a nice walk if you are up for a few kms. Taxi to the city is about 25 euro.

Only one last item, others in our group were moved to different rooms without notification by the front desk some not once but twice. Given that we were a late booking we do appreciate the hotel accommodating our group & my husband & I had NO issues with this at all. It would have just been nice if the hotel had advised the others of the move. Including items in their safe.

Overall, I do recommend this hotel & would gladly stay again as we travel to Trieste many times throughout the year for business.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business